Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:32am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coolant leak 2 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Coolant leak 2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coolant leak 2  (Read 778 times)
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Coolant leak 2
« on: Feb 9th, 2005, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all
just read through the previous posts about coolant leak and it touched on a problem with my 2.3 Ultima automatic. My local garage (who are very good) told me that he think's my loss of coolant (usually drains over a 2 week period) is a problem with the cover cylinder head. It's a metal plat held in place by 3 bolts (it can be seen at the following page, part no. 34 - http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohc23head2.gif). He ordered one in but said there isn't enough room to do it insitu. He said he has 2 options:
1. disconnect everything he can from the engine and try and shift it forward. This would give him about 3 inches to work with to try to remove the bolts and get it off and try to fit the replacement.
2. drop the engine and/or remove the head.
He said either way wouldn't be cheap but the safest option would be the second one but it would be around £450 -£500 at least. I got his details from this site and I must admit he's been good on previous occasions but I was wondering if anyone here might know of another option as i'm not mechanically minded and I don't have this kind of £ available Sad

Any suggestions would be VERY gratefully received!!
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Coolant leak 2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 7:39pm »

I can't believe that no one can offer any suggestions! 37 viewings and not one bite Sad((

Can anyone help pleaseHuh
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 8:20pm »

sorry cookie_boy .... this is only a quickie as I leave work ..so i'll report later ..but I think the plate you are referring to is the rear cam cam thrust plate and only subject to oil loss and not coolant ... I suspect it's a slightly different place but more later if no one has responded by then    ...cheers   ...STN
IP Logged

howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 9:52pm »

I'm with STN on this one. Not seen many of these engines but I would say no. 34 has nowt to do with coolant.
How far down is it from the rocker gasket & can you see coolant comming out of it?
I would also say it would not be hard to get at, so maybe your mechanic means somthing else. Part 34 is only about a fiver from ford.
IP Logged

Dave
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 10:09pm »

maybe worth taking a peek at silver_poppy's post here :

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1105716942
IP Logged

cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:56pm »

Thanks for the suggestions but the garage are insistent that it's the coolant. Perhaps I got the part wrong when I looked at the diagrams. The garage have given me the part. Details on the Ford label are:  
Finis code: 16X41C01
Part No. 6976702
Description: Cover Cyl. Head
Module: C

Don't know if that helps.
This problem has been added to now Sad
See my other post....
IP Logged
TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 12:35am »

Hi Cookie

I think I know what your problem is and it is coolant loss.  At the back of the 2.3 head is a blanking plate that covers the coolant conection that is used  when the engine is mounted transversly, as in the Galaxy. It is sealed with an O ring. I have had this problem since I bought my Ultima Estate back in July last year. I have looked at replacing the O ring, but have come to the same conclusion as your garage i'm afraid, its a head off job. I have tried to access the (torx) bolts, but there just isn't enough room. You didn't say how much coolant loss over 2 weeks, but mine was max to min in about a month, so not much. My problem was the smell. The coolant was cooking on the Bell Housing and fumes were coming in through the vents. I decided to try a quick fix.

I used Wynns Rad Weld Thingy!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHHH, I can hear all the cringes right now.
I know, I know. But it was either that or a head off job.
Anyway, it has slowed it down to virtualy nothing.

Blimey, that was a long post.

Sorry to boor you

HTH

Cheers

Pete
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 7:33am »

Taperone, being the novice that i am, what's the Rad weld do and where do I put it? (I assume in the expansion/coolant tank). Also, why would everyone go arghhhhh?

If this is a way of resolving it without going the costly route I might do it as well.

thanks
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Its a liquid additive that you put in the cooling system to combat leaks but it can block the heater matrix as well!

I have a coolent leak as well, but it is from the thermostat housing - you can see a stain from the anti-freeze on the block where the water has evoporated, maybe this may help trace your leak!?

Daven
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 4:17pm »

Regarding access to the rear of the cyl. head. Would it make any difference if the bulkhead panel was removed.

I.e. The panel with the long rubber seal running across the top.

I used this method to get at the heater pipes that are just below the panel. It is only held on with self tappers and sheet metal nuts. The bit in front of the battery is one end of it.

eddie
IP Logged
TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 5:00pm »

Hi Eddie,

I considered this when I first discovered my leak, but I could not find all the fixings. Also, because I have got AC, you have to disconnect the pipes as they feed through the bulkhead which means a recharge after completion. Still sounds better than removing the head though, as I think it might just give you enough room.

How difficult was it to remove the bulkhead?
Any chance of a diagram showing where the fixings are?

I would like to follow this route if pssible. I could then do a posting with piccies to help other members.

Cheers

Pete
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 7:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 16th, 2005, 6:56pm, cookie_boy2000 wrote:
The garage have given me the part. Details on the Ford label are:  
Finis code: 16X41C01
Part No. 6976702
Description: Cover Cyl. Head
Module: C

6976702 is part 34 on this picture :-

http://www.anyboard.net/autos/cars/scorpio/posts/348.html

HTH

Daven
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.