Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.0 exhaust manifold »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.0 exhaust manifold
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.0 exhaust manifold  (Read 425 times)
wumpster

Email

2.0 exhaust manifold
« on: Feb 9th, 2005, 10:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

is it a common problem for the exhaust manifolds to crack on the 2,0 and has any one had one welded  Huh
IP Logged
ren

95 N 2.9 24v Cossie Estate

View Profile

Re: 2.0 exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 12:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

screwdriver no good this time then Undecided

Ren
Dont know abt it being a common problem
when they took the engine on from the rs2000
the engine thats in the 2.0ltr
they modified the inlet manifold,but left the  
exhaust manifold alone  

Ren
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 5:55am »

Yes they do crack,around no.4 cylinder.

I had one welded but it only lasted a few days.

Someone on the site mentioned that a good welder will have the manifold removed and pre-heated cherry red before welding-this should effect a more permanent repair.Probably cost more than a new manifold!

eddie

P.S. I can sell you a Manifold for about £500,its still attached to the car though!! Grin
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 9:59am »

Mine cracked to, after i bought the car... When driven "hard" 80Mph, it gets to hot. (if the garage is dark, the metall is almost orange..)

But i still pased the mot, gues they didnt see it...

The worst thing is the smell that comes somethimes...
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
wumpster

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 10:38am »

maybe thats what has cracked mine as i do 80-90 mph every day up and down the motorway  Cry

And no  a screwdriver  no fix it Ren this time i will have to re think how to bodge this one Grin
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 10:53am »

I do find it surprising that the exhaust manifold can crack at about 80mph, an executive car with a much higher top speed, what revs does 80 mph equate to? Does this affect any of the other engines? And does anyone know why it happens Huh

I assume revving through the gears has less impact as its only temporarily at the higher revs.

Cheers
Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
Scorpioen84

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 1:11pm »

Well i drove 11 hours continiously, hehe...

But outlet man. is underdimmensioned, guess its more heat and so on the rs2000 engine...
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 5:05pm »

When I first had my Scorpio,for weeks I was plagued with problems. One of which was poor running etc AND on occasions Glowing manifold syndrome which eventually led to a crack on cyl. no.  4.
As a temp job it was welded over and lasted about a week or so. I bit the bullet and bought a new Manifold.
I did the job myself,and during the change over discovered the lamda sensor was DISCONNECTED, and later on that there was a large split on the underside of one of the two pipes feeding the DPFE module.

Since replacing the Manifold (or Fanimold as it was known at the time!) and correcting these problems I have been to France sevearl times and (on occasions Embarassed) gone well over the speed limit (i know the Scorpio will do 120mph!), no problems were experienced with the glowing Manifold syndrome.

What I am getting at here is, Do a thorough check of all your connections/pipes etc. It sounds as if your exhaust is running far to hot or lean.

eddie
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 8:24pm »

There has been a post on this subject previously and the view is simply that a weld is not on.  To achieve anything like a result the manifold must come off and be heated as stated earlier. This is a cast iron fitting and trying to weld in situ will not work. It also has the added problem of requiring the air bag to be de-activated as the heat from on car welding could trigger this. The net result is that the only viable option is to replace the unit and if you are going to have to remove it anyway to try and repair it the extra cost is well worth it. HTH.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
johnv

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 9:06pm »

whats all this about 80 to 90 mph.
The maxium speed in the United Kingdom is 70 MPH.
But I know that the 2.0 is the baby of the family. but when I have been on a motorway doing the 70 to 75 MPH I am only on half throttle. I constantly have to lift off the gas to stop the car from going up to 80 MPH.
So I not understanding all this about driving the car hard, like I said before my 2.0  cruises along just like the 2.3 and indeed the cosworth once you got it up to speed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Does any one think that the petrol that suppermarkets sell, is so weak that it is bad for engines that run at higher speeds and those that like to stress their engines by rapid accelleration, because they don't know how to drive smoothly.
I see them ever day, hard accelleration, followed by hard braking, all in the one spot.
In the old days the otane number was clearly put on the pumps.
Still I used the posh petrol now. for good.
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

View Profile WWW

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 10:38am »

Well im not from the uk... Wink Highest speedlimmit here is 60mph...  Angry

80mph gives ca, 3.500rpm... ca.. i can check if it is important...

113mph gives 5.400rpm, ca....  Lips Sealed

have prices on petrol droped in uk the las days.?  
over 10% here...
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 11:13am »

John

A lot has been written about supermarket petrol and I am a firm believer that fuel such as from shell is superior to the budget fuel from supermarkets, and that the premium fuel such as optimax is worth the extra price for the benefits in engine longeivity and fuel economy. It is possible that lower octane fuel could add to/ exacerbate any engine problems.

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 6:41pm »

gald to hear that being said. the reason why i hooked on the posh  petrol now is my 2.0 was only doing 19 mph on the computer just one tank of posh petrol got the computer up to 22 mpg and now towards the end of the second tank its pop up to 23.
that is around town. but if you stop to work it out, the extra miles versue the extra cost, it don't cost any more. so why use the cheap stuff.
When I was a young chap, (yes I know that was a few hundred years ago.)
and I left the Air Force I worked at a small Airport. One of our jobs was to issue fuel to Aircraft, big and small.
Those single engine club aircraft, the older ones use to use 80 octane, colour clear and the newer and some twin engine aircraft used 95 octane colour green.
You had to make very sure you put the right petrol in the tanks, because to put 80, when it should be 95 would do a lot of damage to the engines.
So I got at the back of my mind if people are saying their engine manifold are getting read hot, is this because they are using the cheap petrol from supermarkets
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.