Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Plugs in Oil, anyone? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Plugs in Oil, anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Plugs in Oil, anyone?  (Read 549 times)
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

Plugs in Oil, anyone?
« on: Feb 10th, 2005, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi again,

Changed the plugs yesterday. Found 10-25ml 'oil' down each of the tubes. Managed to get most of it out prior to change.
It was a cleanish brown. I don't have to top up engine oil (but changed  6 monthly and these volumes wouldn't be noticed anyway).

But where did it come from Huh  
A friend suggested the gasket(s)  on the rocker covers have gone.  
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Admit this is the first time I've done this cos engine running beautifully and always had it serviced by main dealer (last service 10k ago - they now admit they hadn't changed plugs during the last 2 services so its been 4years & 28k miles since last change  Angry)

Cheers  

P
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

Re: Plugs in Oil, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 2:48pm »

hi,is this a 24vHuh i had exactly the same problem,didnt half smoke for a few minutes after changing them ,i think some oil went down the spark plug hole Huh a few weeks later i changed my cam cover gaskets but found no oil at allHuhgaz
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 4:06pm »

Pegasus,
Yes, the spark plugs are buried deep inside the cam covers and have a special gasket to separate them from the lubrication inside the cam covers. If there is even a tiny leak the oil collects in the spark plug chambers without anywhere else to go.  Get them all dry inside and monitor the plugs weekly to get some idea of how bad the seepage is. If it is very slight you might consider whether to leave it like it is and clean them out periodically - the oil should not effect the electrode provided the plug leads are Ford ones in good condition because they seal round the body of the plug and keep the electrode clean.  If the plug chambers fill up too quickly then consider changing the camcover gasket - but this requires care because of the inlet system - it's do-able but you mustn't rush the job.  Wink

The spark plugs are okay to go for 24 months, but should really have been changed the last time, so that was a bit naughty - however the platinum electrodes are amazingly resistant to burning.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 11:56pm »

on Feb 10th, 2005, 4:06pm, Eric_R wrote:
- but this requires care because of the inlet system -

OH how true!!!  
The first week after buying the car I decided to have a service done, where upon, the garage informed me of small oil deposits around the plugs due to leaking gaskets Shocked  naturally I decided to have them replaced, little did I now at the time of the problems this would cause  Cry Apparently when they attempted to traverse the inlet system they were greeted with siezed bolts causing nothing but a major headache.
Anyhow all was eventually corrected and repaired but one days work ended up as two and with a 100% increase on the bill to boot Cry
So please be warned it's not a job for the faint hearted  Wink

OddJob
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 10:52am »

Hi Gaz, Eric & Oddjob,

Gaz: yep its a 2.9 Cos - and didn't it just smoke.  

From Eric and Oddjob's info I'll not be in too much of a rush to replace gaskets. If its taken this long to get a small amount of oil I wont worry too much but I'll keep an eye on it just in case its a recent development. At least I know what to look for - thanks Guys  Smiley

IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.