Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Oil filter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Oil filter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oil filter  (Read 791 times)
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

Oil filter
« on: Feb 12th, 2005, 6:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have spent a lot of today changing the oil on my 1996 2.9.12v and was surprised when I came to fit the new filter to find it didn`t fit ! The old one ( which I had to put back on ) is shorter and wider, the new one fouls the steering.

The new one was supplied by a FMD as an EFL600, any idea what has gone wrong ?

I would like to be armed with all the correct info. before I go demanding a replacement filter, 5 litres of oil & a sump washer.

Many thanks,

Paul Boulden
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

Re: Oil filter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 6:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

does it have the oil cooler on the housing ? IE under the oil filter? i know there is a difference on the fitment on a sierra 2.9 and Capri.....
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 7:26pm »

Hi There. You need the EFL 90 part number Part Number:  1555451 (was1576747)
Retail Price:     £3.69

Hope this helps

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 8:50pm »

hi there

the  EFL600 is for the 2.0 & 2.3 4 pots.

hth
IP Logged
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 9:53pm »

Many thanks for the info. I feel another argument with a FMD coming on.  

Are there any main dealers out there who can actually supply the right parts ? Of the last 8 parts orders placed with three different Main Dealers, 7 were not in stock of which 6 were either not delivered on time or wrong parts supplied. What other business could get away with it ?

Paul Boulden
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 10:16pm »

hey if you have an argument with your main dealer you might get banned, like me.
I just ordered some items from Fordparts that others use on this site.
One item is Oil Filter for Cosworth 2.9 24V cost £3.31
and one for 2.0  DOHC cost £3.91 vat on them.
I hope they turn out to be the right ones. I not got them yet and it does not say on my print out the parts numbers.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 12:11am »

on Feb 12th, 2005, 7:26pm, Snoopy wrote:
Hi There. You need the EFL 90 part number Part Number:  1555451 (was1576747)
Retail Price:     £3.69

Hope this helps

Hi Snoopy........ the EFL90 also fits all pinto engines as well Wink
IP Logged
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 12:12am »

johnv,

I see no reason for me to get "banned", I make a point of not entering an argument unless I am right. The dealer is at fault in two areas of consumer law.
1. The Trades Descriptions Act, which states that goods must be as described, this filter is not a 2.9 item which was what was requested.
2. The sale of Goods Act, which states that goods must be fit for their intended purpose, obviously a filter that won`t fit the car can`t do it`s job.

Out of interest, are you banned from the premises or do they just refuse to serve you. I can`t see how you can be banned from the premises as they are open to the general public, however any retailer has the right to refuse to serve any customer without giving a reason.

I don`t forsee many problems getting it sorted bau as it`s a FMD you never know !

Paul Boulden
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 7:52am »

a private company can refuse to deal with you for no matter what reason.
I was right, to prove it my main dealer was fined £4000 plus £1700 costs for charging for a service, parts that they had not been done.  
So how much more right does a person have to be.
And it emerged that trading standards got then fined two years ago for doing the same.
At this moment I am sueing them for breech of contract, in that over and over again, I had my cars booked in for work to be done and they just left my car where it was for one day or two days or even three days to work on other cars when their owners where shounting at them.
But I did try and sort it out with them before going to law, but they throught that I was just small fly and they where grand and big and go away you silly little man.
I not bothered of course, because there are lots of other Ford dealers.
I going to get my parts from Trevor @FordParts now. I relly like the way I can order on line and the parts come to me right to my door in a cardboard box.
Another thing, in the past one reason for not doing word, is they say we are awaiting parts when they are not, they have not even looked at the car.
So I going to stock my own supply of parts that are needed most. So I will supply the parts in the car and they will never be able to say that again.
What the managing director said to me in his letter, was that they are to remove me from their data-base and they would not do business with me any more either for service or goods.
But I had already made my mind up to go elsewhere after I found then charging for front and rear steel brake discs, but only doing the front. and well just so much they had charged for and not done over two years or so.
Still in you case, I suppose you will get away with it. I supppose it al depends on what type of company you are dealing with.
IP Logged
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 3:50pm »

Well I`ve just got back from the dealers having received replacement filter, oil and sump washer - and an apology. Not the argument I was expecting so some credit to Quay Auto Centre, Kingsbridge, S. Devon. A much better resolution than I have had in the past from various branches of Vospers who have always been unwillng to admit to supplying wrong parts ( " are you sure you told us the right car sir ? " ) and even more reluctant to do anythng about it.

Paul
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 7:28pm »

well that's how it should be. but my Main Ford Dealer is rotten in Coventry,
But not the spare department nor the service reception. its those in the workshop that are; well I better not say.
I wonder if it was repairs or service you where having, what would be their responce if they had done it wrong or just plain not done the work but charged you for it.
I hope your cars not a 2.0 because my new filter came today for my 2.0 and thats a EFL 600
IP Logged
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 8:38pm »

Hi John,
My car is a 2.9 12v, the new filter supplied is the EFL 90 ( as Snoopy said it should be ). The returned filter was the one you have, much longer and narrower than mine.
I have found the parts departments a pain, they rely totally on what the computer says without checking whether they are asking the right questions, or even if the right things are in the box. Brake pads seem to cause them particular problems.

Paul
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 11:14pm »

Yes, I use fordparts.uk exclusively now both because of the efficient service and the discount - although of course you have to add the postage.  

There are different issues here. Firstly, charging for work not done is a serious breach of law and it is quite right to pursue any dealer with the full force of the law where this is found to be happening.  The Trading Standards unit at your local council should always be willing to pursue a case if there is sufficient evidence - and you can still take your own civil action to get your money back.

The problem with parts is slightly different. IME it is not that the parts guys don't care about whether the parts they supply are correct - it's that often they don't appreciate the difference.  The Scorpio had a limited production run and although some excellent staff will know how to interrogate their MicroCat correctly, many others will not. If you walk into a MD and ask for a part for a Scorpio, many will simply assume you mean the Granada Scorpio and press the wrong button right at the start. They are then searching the wrong database, which is how you end up with a part that will not fit!

IME it's best to note down your VIN number before you enquire. Get them to enter the VIN of your car into the MicroCat - this then greys out any part which is not specific to your actual model and engine, and will actually exclude Granada parts.  You might also use the VRM, but some cars had cherished plates attached and get a new number afterwards which means that the VRM would not be found, so VIN is best.  Wink

Also emphasis that you own a Scorpio 95+, which should mean that the correct database is being searched from the outset.

HTH

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 12:01am »

Hi Eric,
I hate to disagree with the big boss but in my case the FMD has my VIN although they usually use the VRN. They can also see the car from their counter, difficult to mistake a Scorpio for anything else when you can see it ! Surely the whole point of going to the dealers who sold the cars is their knowledge and experience, as well as parts availability and the right database. The Ford range is not so vast that you cannot expect their trained partsmen to at least be able to ask the right questions or press the right button. It seems to me the only way to be certain you have the right part from the FMD is to assume they are wrong and check on this forum - a great compliment to this site but it doesn`t say much for the dealers !

I am just grateful that in the 4 years & 80,000+ miles I have done in my Scorpio I haven`t needed too many Ford only parts.

Paul
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 6:29am »

(you have to add the postage.) But you forgot to say how much you save on petrol (let alone you time in traveling there).
And don't forget, that in travelling to the Ford main dealer in your scorpio, it wearing out all the time you are travelling. So once you got back with the parts you have needed in the first place, you will then need more parts to replace those worn out in travelling to the Ford Main Dealer in the first place.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted a new starter motor for my transit van. I alway carry the Vin number with me on a card. Gave then the year, model and vin and it took them 3 attempts, to get it right.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.