Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Corroded Battery Cradle, Water Leaks »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Corroded Battery Cradle, Water Leaks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Corroded Battery Cradle, Water Leaks  (Read 536 times)
Anto_95

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Corroded Battery Cradle, Water Leaks
« on: Feb 15th, 2005, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Was wondering if anyone can help out with saving a badly corroded battery cradle and shelf/partition underneath. Have major leak into passenger floor. Cradle I think is spot welded to shelf below and here's is where I need to get at and possibly fibreglass. Have yet to see how aux fuse box is holding up but have had intermittent o/d light since buying about 5 weeks ago. Will get OBD done as soon as this is fixed. Ford said parts most likely available, but said to fibreglass to save cost. Would some sort of plaster mould be a good way of retaining the cradle part if I was to attempt fixing myself? Battery cover was never on this vehicle, probably should not have purchased this car, but have to get on with it now.
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

Re: Corroded Battery Cradle, Water Leaks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 5:55pm »

You used to be able to get a replacement battery carrier panel. No short cuts however. The old one had to be removed and the new one welded in. Maybe ford or an aftermarket company (such as partspanels) make one. regards, john.n Huh
IP Logged
Anto_95

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 6:59pm »

Thanks John, I'll look into this. Latest suggestion was to cut out a piece of Aluminium sheet, place over corroded section and bond it in as well as pop rivet in place, may have to get rid of some of the carrier as the battery could sit too high.

Regards Anto.
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 7:29pm »

Hi anto ... is this an Ultima ? .. I have seen many Granada trays fall out but rarely a Scorp ?? ... regards ...STN
IP Logged

Anto_95

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 9:29pm »

Hi STN, Yes this is a 95 Ultima, Tray is not falling out, but well on the way, causing enough leaks to be a major problem. Lucky the bubble wrap around the module under glove box has protected it, but have to get this sorted asap.

Regards,

Anto.
IP Logged
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 9:23pm »

hi anto do u have a battery cover
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 7:10am »

Just to add to this Anto, the battery needs to be secure when in place for mot purposes. john.n Wink
IP Logged
Anto_95

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:58pm »

John.N and Musicmaster, Yes I do have a battery cover now, however this has probably been caused by a battery leaking at one point. Purchased this vehicle in the UK around 5 weeks ago and it was given a MOT two days prior to buying it. Top and side clamps were there hanging by a thread, didn't realise the extent of it until the water leak in interior. Will give the alum sheet a go this weekend, but have to make sure battery doesn't sit too high, also anchor points for clamps have to be considered. Waiting on top bracket from Ford still on order, still not availbable. Probably should by pass Ford in Ireland from this point on and order direct form UK.

Regards,
Anto
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:54pm »

Anto, sorry to hear about this Sad

You'll probably find that a battery at some point has leaked and the acid has stood in the battery well for some time.  

When I bought my car it had no battery cover and the battery was leaking. I removed the battery to find the cradle had completely rusted away. to prevent the firewall from rusting through into the passenger footwell I cut away the rusted battery cradle and treated the whole area underneath with paint and waxoil. Thankfully I got to it before rust took over.

Somehow you need to cut the rust away. No amount of rust eater will stop the rust spreading. make sure all surfaces are dry and moisture free when using fiberglass or plating the hole.

It maybe worthwhile  other people taking the time to get some waxoil and a tube and spaying the underside of the battery cradle before rust starts to set in. This will save you a lot of time and hassle in the future Smiley

Kind regards

Danny_R
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.