Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« TRACTION CONTROL PROBS »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   TRACTION CONTROL PROBS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TRACTION CONTROL PROBS  (Read 1317 times)
mickey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

TRACTION CONTROL PROBS
« on: Feb 21st, 2005, 11:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

2.0 ltr 16v ultima, traction control light not coming on on the dash when ignition is switched on or when the traction button is pressed, the button lights up but thats all, anyone had similar problem cant find any postings on this subject. thanks
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: TRACTION CONTROL PROBS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 6:01am »

hi  there

have you tried it on grass to see if it worls? you should feel the pedel push back on your foot. might just be the light on the dash is broken. other than that, might be the motor (front, right hand side). i'm not sure as i don't have it  Grin

ps. it's linked to the abs. does this work? pass the start up test? ( ie abs light goes out).
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:47am »

Try at night or during the day with side lights on..dash warning can be a bit dim with  side lights off.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just noticed this morning while the TCS was operating (on the icy snow) that the TCS warning light flickers while it is doing it's work. I haven't ever noticed this before, is it right?

Also mine is quite bright, easily bright enough to see in full daylight with the winter sun streaming in the windows...   Grin
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:24am »

Vulcan,

yes the traction control light is meant to come on when it is doing its job.

Cheers
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 6:36pm »

Yup mine flickered as it was working . it did it when the pedal was being pushed back up......
IP Logged
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 7:37pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2005, 6:36pm, Badboytunes wrote:
Yup mine flickered as it was working

Tried mine this morning with all the snow, the light came on the dash when switched on but didn't flicker at any time, why should it flicker  Huh

OddJob
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:49pm »

as it is working it flashes as a warning that the tc is operational... thats my view. I may be wrong but thats how it worked on mine and it worket perfectly....

Cheers Nick Wink
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:25pm »

Oddjob - did you press the traction control button, if so you have just turned traction control off and the light on the dash will illuminate and stay lit to let you know that it is turned off.

Traction control is ON by default whenever you start the car and TC light will only flash whenever it has had to back off the power. Much more fun with it turned off anyway...

The light should illuminate briefly when you start the car and then go off, if it stays lit then it indicates a fault with it somewhere.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:45pm »

i think that was what i was trying to say.... You said it alot better tho Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:20pm »

Just wondering, what causes the accelarator pedal to push back? It's like as if the something is physically pushing the pedal back. From what I have been told, the TC works by applying the brakes to the wheels. If this is the case, why would the accelerator pedal be pushed back? Hope this is not a silly question!!!
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:51pm »

something to do with a motor winding back the throttle me tinks..........
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:53am »

The Traction Control System (TCS) as fitted to the '95 Scorpio, is designed to prevent wheelspin in such situations as driving on wet or icy roads.

The system is linked with the anti - lock braking system. Both systems use the same wheel speed sensors, Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) and electronic control module. The TCS does, however, require additional components (pump and valves) to be incorporated into the HCU. TCS can be made available only if anti - lock is fitted.

The system works by transferring torque from the spinning wheel to that with the most traction. This can be achieved by either applying the relevant brake or reducing the throttle opening. The braking function is achieved via the HCU. The throttle function is controlled by the Throttle Intervention Unit which is positioned between the throttle pedal and throttle body and has two cables linking the pedal and throttle. The unit effectively " stretches" the cable so giving a reduced throttle setting for a given throttle pedal position, when the system is invoked.

The system uses a combination of braking and throttle intervention at road speeds up to 30 mph (50 km/h) and purely throttle intervention over 30 mph (50 km/h). When the system operates the driver is made aware of the fact by a warning light on the fascia.

The warning light will illuminate for approximately three seconds after key - on and then extinguish if no faults are present in the system.

If the driver so wishes the TCS can be disabled by means of switch located on the centre console. If the system is disabled the warning light will remain illuminated until the system is reactivated or the ignition is switched off. When the ignition is subsequently switched on the TCS will default to on.

If the system should develop a fault the warning light will illuminate. Only when the fault has been rectified will the light revert to normal operation
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:12pm »

Yep mine works fine Cheesy

Under conditions like this morning with a 3 inch plus covering of snow over a frosty road last night and no gritting... the TCS kicked in a lot with the pedal kicking back at my foot then when braking the ABS engaging and the brake pedal kicking back at my foot... was like driving a bucking bronco this morning till I got to the major roads.   Grin
IP Logged
mickey

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:16pm »

Problem sorted turned out to be a dodgy connection, many thanks to all who responded so promptly
IP Logged
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:21pm »

Thanks guys  Cheesy
I've been using it back to front no wonder I didn't think it was up too much the other day   Roll Eyes
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 1:12pm »

I realy dont feel that TC on the scorp is as intelligent as Snoopys post states...
Not tansfearing power to the tyre with the most traction forxample...

Is the Scorp. (mine 95) TC less complicated, than the newer cars...?

I had a Focus Rentalcar with TC for a couple of days, and i cold not feel anything on the pedals, kickback and sow on.... Think i felt a power transfear to...
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 2:01pm »

the reply I posted is from Fords own technical details and I would have thought that  it must apply... Other than that I cannot comment.  
Perhaps others with the TC can confirm this fact.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:19pm »

Is the TC that transfers power to the tyre with the most traction not the optional extra type (eccept on the 24V), with the limited slip differential (LSD)?
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:37pm »

TC on the scorp reduces engine power to stop the wheel spin, ie backs off throttle. no LSD fitted to scorp as standard.
some systems will even apply the brake to the slipping wheel, but thats fairly late expensive stuff.
martin
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.