Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Un-balanced front brakes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Un-balanced front brakes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Un-balanced front brakes  (Read 1211 times)
johnv

Email

Un-balanced front brakes
« on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well my 1998 cosworth done 68,000 miles failed its MOT today on un-blanced front brakes.
I looked at the brake lining and steel discs. all OK.
I never get any of that juddering that you get upon braking with distrorted brake discs.
I don't normally use the brakes, at least very little. but i done a few straight ahead stops on private ground, with my hands just off the wheel and the car stops dead straight. no sign of pulling to one side.
I not going to mess around myself so I going to book it in at this small non ford garage I using now.
Just wondered if anyone had similar problem. It surely can't be calipers sticking, the wheel  turn around with no sign of rubbing.
Just trying to get some inflo, so that I don't appear to be a complete dummy when I take the car in.
Thanks to anyone that can help.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Un-balanced front brakes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

unbalanced brakes? Thats a new one on me John Huh

Mind you, my Cosworth with 67000 miles has had new disks and pads all round last year when I bought the car on 58000 miles.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:14pm »

well they are saying that the reading on one side is different from the other side.
But I going to watch them like a hawk on this.
On the road the car just brakes so nice, as indeed all these scorpio's do that have the 225 wide tyres on.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 11:19pm »

all this renewing of steel brake discs on car that have done only 30,000 or a bit more bugs me.
I thinking it got to be down to mad driving, using the brakes very hard constantly. thereby overheating them or the like.
If I could have afforded a brand new scorpio, the way I drive, the steel brake discs would have lasted the life of the car.
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:30am »

John,

Bad news, sorry to hear it.

I think Scorpio disks were a bit prone to warping, however some of the smaller engine variants use the same part as four stud Mondeos on the front which I believe are a much lighter car.

Maybe thats part of the problem.

With mine I have got in the habit of asking for a price for disks based on a 2 litre Mondeo.

When they give me that I ask for the same for the Scorpio.  

When they come up with an aftermarket price 15 or 20% higher I get them to compare the part numbers. Lovely to see their faces.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:52am »

I wonder if the high rate of deterioration  of  front  brake discs is due to the lack of  a splash guard .The rear discs  have one.

As to the MOT  failure,  the rolling road brake test  is there to detect  poor   or  uneven  stopping power, and is very sensitive.  

My old car was failed on poor handbrake performance.
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 5:25am »

One possibility is different pads on each side,differing friction rates etc.Try new pads both sides.
Other possibility is air in one of the calipers.
While your at it pop some SILICONE brake grease under the rubber piston covers BEFORE pushing the pistons back.

In case you are not aware,the REAR brake pistons have to be WOUND back in and not just pushed back.
(I know you were talking FRONT,just slipped that in for info)

eddie
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 6:25am »

thanks to all for advice. at my time of life i leave it to garages to sort my problems.
I've done printouts and will make sure the garage know about anything I feel they should know.
thanks again to all, and yes i soon as i know what the trouble was i will post it here so that's others can benifit if they have similar problems.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 6:29am »

I wonder if the high rate of deterioration  of  front  brake discs is due to the lack of  a splash guard .The rear discs  have one.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Well,  indeed I seem these scorpio's, where the rim all around the outsides of brake discs, have been crusty rusty with bits flaking off.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 9:12am »

The MOT brake balance thing is a proper part of the test.

Each of the wheels is tested individually and the difference between them calculated as a percentage. If that percentage is above the limit (can't remember what it is off-hand) you fail  Angry

I know this because my old Cortina had trouble with this part of the test in the past. The problem there was lack of use and the calipers would stick like crazy. In the end, I removed them both, stripped them down and rebuilt. Worked fine after that and still do.

John, I've got a feeling your problem could be the same, especially if its one of your 'spare cars'. I just hope the garage you're giving it to are OK, because I think many would see sticking calipers and just tell you that you need new ones. All just 'fitters' these days.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 11:40am »

thanks to paul B, yes i was thinking this about sticking cylinders. but it make the position so much more clear. to hear it discussed with others
I do know that this car had not had much use as the last owner had other vehicles, and the reason why he decided to sell it with regret, was because it just stood there.
I will tell the garage to look for sticking cylinders, at 68,000 mile I not going to go into new calipers. I thinking.
I got to ask them how much their charges will be to strip the units down and rebuild against new units.
If their charges for labour mean I might as well have new units, I will ask for the old unit to be returned to me and I can overhaul that myself on the bench and keep as a spare.
It might be that if I am lucky, that just pushing in the cylinder and pushing it out again a few times might free it off.
But thankyou for your advice, its real great to have something to be armed with to counter any attempts to occur me in any higher costs that is not needed.
IP Logged
zygoteer

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:08pm »

Many (too many) years ago I was part of a team that designed a (then) new commercial Brake Tester, and electronically there were a few basic parameters than can concievably cause a reject for 'unbalanced' etc. (depending on the reject thresholds setup) that can be selectively analysed via a multiple load-cell array output.
tractive effort characteristics (braking efforts etc)
run-out/ovality
grab/release latency (lag)
bearing oscillation/condition
lateral imbalances(tyre inconsistencies)

I think there were a couple of other things too, but I can't recall clearly now (hmmm ... I don't remember being absent-minded lately either)

The point is that, like a lot of things, there is more than one possible 'failure-mode'.

I can never come to terms with most peoples obsession that a problem will only have one cause, which they insist on knowing what it is, as if they either understand or could do anything about it (if they did and could - they wouldnt ask the question - so they got no chance).

OK, thats about it, and I am now starting to sound like Victor Meldrew, so I best shut up
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:12pm »

God almight Zygoteer, you certainly know how to do my head in.
Hey, can you do that posting again, but this time in English?
lateral imbalances(tyre inconsistencies
I thinking of putting two spare wheels on the front that I have as spares in my out house which have brand spanking new tyres on.
Do you think that if I took the car to a different testing station that their equipment might be set up different and i might receive a pass om this un-balance or so they say.
run-out/ovality  So it could be the discs that are out dispite the fact that they don't judder or anything when braking.
bearing oscillation/condition . so the bearings could be about to blow up.
well thanks for the advice, i doing prints outs and will be well armed with knowledge to let the garage know i not to be messed with. (even if it is mostly bluff.)

IP Logged
zygoteer

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 12:02am »

I didn't say you have all or any of theses issues, just that there is often more than one cause etc.

It is true though that a low-speed rolling road (usually between 2 and 6 mph) can be set up with torque, weight, skew rotation load cells such that analysis using multi-point fast-fourier transforms on the compounded data can yeild some pretty compelling evidence of a fault or faults.

This is probably a boring topic for others, but If you want me to expound further just for you, then let me know.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 8:06am »

Hey Zytozeer,
 You will know this.
In the past I had two chaps jumping up amd down on the rear tow-bar/step on my transit vans,when on rolling road.
I when straight away to tell them to get my van off the rolling road and back outside.
Then
I then drove off leaving three chaps there with their mouths open.
That was at Halfords, before I knew what they where like.
So I went to another testing station down the road where the van passed its MOT without two chaps jumping up and down like monkeys,
I mean I did not want my step bent or something like.
God they where loving it jumping up and down and the van was bouncing up and down as well.
IP Logged
zygoteer

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 12:20pm »

Whislt on a rolling road, extraneous influences (jumping up and down on the back for instance !) are bound to affect the data coming from the equipment, so any conclusion on the vehicle condition will be influenced ... either positvely or negatively (impossible to say unless the influencing is precisely defined).

I stopped taking my vehicles to garages a long long time ago for the kind of reason you describe, except for MOT and maybe tyres/exhaust replacements (even then I always checked their work before, during and after - many times having to correct things).
Also their complete lack of respect for other peoples property I find disturbing.

Maybe I am just too fussy ... oh well
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 1:02pm »

Also their complete lack of respect for other peoples property I find disturbing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey zygoteer,
We speak the same lanuage. You got that spot on, its just like is if  I was writing that.
(but don't mention the word insurance, or you will be in the dog house like me).
I think that case of those two jumping up and down on the back of my van was because it was raining outside and they where trying to get more grip.
But wait, I been for lots of tests in the rain and nether had that done before.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 1:16pm »

hi to zygoteer.
When I used to be in business, I had two top fitters who worked for the Council look after my vans until they moved on to better paid top jobs.
One moved to near Manchester Police looking after the Granda's that bombed up and down the M6 and the other one got a job with AP. in Leamington Spa. Warwickshire.
Automotive Products, they make lots of things but brakes they are hot on.
He was based at the old RAF Airfield at Gaydon. (that where i was for 5 years with the "V" bomber force).
They use to make and try out new bits and peices and design new brakes and all that stuff.
If only I had these chaps looking after my scorpios now.
I remember one of them had a grandna and his little box of tricks (Computer I think) when wrong and he did it himself in a jiffy. I remember him moaning about the cost of the part being £380 as it was then.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 2:59pm »

hi zygoteer.
just to say that before I let the garage mess with the brakes i going to ask them to put it on the rolling road again to see if it is ok now.
The reason, one front tyre is an Avon ZZ1 and the other tyre  is a Avon ZZ3  
So whats the difference. I don't know they look the same.
But  about difference compounds, i thinking, surely that would not be enough. but any way, it worth for what it takes to just put it on the rolling road.
I also been using it alot and stamping on the brakes when I on my own to see if that does anything.
Since the last owner had it parked up a lot and not used , I still got it in the back of my mind, that it might be just sticking pistons.
But time will tell.
Thanks for yours and others help
IP Logged
zygoteer

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 4:01pm »

Sticking pistons are usually shown up in the tester electronics as grab/release latency, sometimes called lag-on/lag-off.

A lot of brake test equipment I know of (not a definitive knowledge base nowadays you realise!) has the capability to diagnose which wheel and in the case of drum brakes sometimes which piston (upper or lower) WITHOUT DIS-ASSEMBLY, but either :
1. the garage wasn't prepared to pay for the option being enabled on ordering the kit
or
2. the operator is simply too stupid to know how to use it (was asleep/drunk during training & can't/won't read manual)
or
3. they deliberately don't tell you as that would be an income generating opportunity missed ! (separate billable job etc.)

I can remember a time when they simply volunteered this info for the cutomer, but you choose the excuse for the present Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.