Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:37am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« VW Bora ran into my behind! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   VW Bora ran into my behind!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: VW Bora ran into my behind!  (Read 1470 times)
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

VW Bora ran into my behind!
« on: Mar 1st, 2005, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The damage is negligible, how do you spell that? anyhow I was sitting a traffic lights waiting for the green and away I went on the filter lane for the left turn I pulled of and two kids ran aross the busy junction, I hit the brakes and the Bora hit me!, I have a tow bar and the Bora did'nt have any steel on the front, so theres loads of damage to the bora and my tow bar is bent 1/2 an inch, it took the full wait of her car! and the Scorpio is unscratched she couldnt believe it, eighther could I, I shouted OH no damage! wayhay, oooopps sorry about yours love, she was in tears but she did hit me.

IS there any way I can reclaim my 1/2 the 3/4 inch movement forward or should I live with a sligtly bent tow bar. Roll Eyes Grin

JJ
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

Re: VW Bora ran into my behind!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The question is do you use the tow bar? If you do and it's been hit then there could be structural damage underneath that belies the slight bend to the actual hook. When you think of the foot pounds of pressure it takes to bend these tow bars then it gives you some idea of what may have happened at the tow bar mountings. Personally I would have it checked but in the very least the bar needs replacing.
I don't know where the bar is mounted on the scorp as I don't have one on mine but I have fitted a good few to other cars helping my younger bro when he had his caravan and camper business and they are usually very well attached to the sub frame underneath and that is what will have born the brunt of the impact. Plus the bar will now be in the wrong position for attaching a trailer or caravan so you would have major problems if you did try to tow.

In brief.. have it all looked at under the back.

hth

George
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 8:19pm »

I'd agree with George there I think.
The car may appear undamaged but I doubt very much that you've come off so lightly as just a bent towbar.
Do go and get it checked out John.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 9:00pm »

Thats it, I'm off to buy a towbar/ball Grin

eddie
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 10:23pm »

Thanks for the advice fellas. I will get it checked out!

JJ
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 10:41pm »

Mines an S reg and it costs a lot more for the towbar as it has to be "type approved" so all the ones in the scrappies with towbars are no good.!!

b****r
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 6:49am »

i keeping away from who fault it was as this site might blow up, rather than just anoy people.
but have i got it right. the tow ball itself is bent forward, hey these i throught where so strong, they don't bend.
to do so it must have been a hell of a bang.
so if that is correct,  what the others are saying about checking for further damage is just so correct, where the towbar going onto the chassis.
its like on my transit van, i had bull bars. they can save a lot of damage in most cases,  but in a real heavy bang, they can cause damage to where they are mounted to.
its swings and roundabouts.
if its turns out that its just the towball, they are only about £2.99. get a new one.
The centre of the ball should be 16 inches from the road surface.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 6:57am »

hi baz, did you know, that on the scorpio if you got a "S" reg the towing kits are £450 plus fitting charges.
but if you are "R" reg backwards they are supplied and fitted for around £125.
That's what I have been told by two towbar fitters.
Something to do with change to axle or mounting points etc.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 7:01am »

Insurance. (God I just so sorry to bring that ugly word up again).
Just out of interest, who paying for what. (I won't comment on any answer that might be given,)
Did you jump out and grab hold of the kids.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 8:06am »

John,

the towbars are exactly the same! The only difference is that from August 1st 1998 (S Reg Day!) all cars registered after that date, regardless of build date have to be fitted with what is called a "Type Approved" towbar which is basically one that has been subjected to various tests to ensure their safety and performance.

The only trouble with getting one for the Scorpio is that because Ford had already stopped making the cars, most companies were not too keen to spend, what was a lot of money apparently, getting the bars tested.

I cannot get the likes of a Witter towbar for mine because they didn't make one type approved (I phoned them and asked!) So the only ones available are usually very expensive. I had one on my Red Scorpio for a while just to try it out and it was from a P reg and it fitted fine. But if I was towing something and got caught, I would be liable to a big fine!
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 8:30am »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 8:19pm, Paul B wrote:
I'd agree with George there I think.
The car may appear undamaged but I doubt very much that you've come off so lightly as just a bent towbar.
Do go and get it checked out John.

I agree too - had a car written off because the tow bar took the brunt but pushed into a cross member which took the chassis out of square!  

That was a White van at about 10mph! He got aggresive even though it was his fault, if he had just apologised I may have let him walk away as there was no visible damage!

Daven
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:10am »

hi baz, what you say makes good sence.
what the fitter of towbars said to me that only ford make a towbar for the "S" reg and they are £450 to buy. and he gave that bit about there was a slight change to the rear of the "S" red scorpio's.
Still I understand what you are saying now.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:30am »

so it seems like luck as some bearing in these cases.
When that chap ran into me in his 206  and cracked my bumper. they checked underneath, no damage.
I wonder, if it was because I had just released the footbrake and had started to move forward that took some of the force out of it.  
Without the towbar, they are saying that it might have gone forward to damage the tailgate and the boot floor or whatever it is thats behind the bumper.
But towbars are real good to have because they are bound to smash the front bumper of the other car and in his case the rad was pouring out coolant fast. Jolly good show, The B-------.  
Been driving since 17 and nether in all my life made a claim on insurance. (O god, that word come up again,) and then this chap late for work, just drives straight into the back of me.
By the time I told him how much money it was going to cost him and started taking photos and shoved the camera in his face to take a photo of him, (just in case he tried later to say it was not him) he was fair shaking.
I just got to wait now for Ford to get some new bumpers made. All the stock of these as been withdrawn and returned to people who make these as all faulty.
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 4:29pm »

my mate an I looked at it in some good day light and it does look like it may be only the ball hitch arm bent, it is slightly bent to the right and foward, the part that it bolts onto is exactly in the middle, I had the foot break off and she did push me...Going to get it checked underneith as there could be more damage done, she hit it with her car just under the passenger headlight putting force slightly to the right and foward motion, there not ment to take sideways force, so this may have saved the car.  
    I can only imagine the damage that would have resulted if there was no towbar.
    Insurance, I let her go! (stu pid i Know but I could see nothing wrong at the time).

JJ
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:09pm »

god JohnJ, (YOU LET HER GO) I don't want to be hard on any anyone when they had mis-fortune) but always, always, always exchange names, addresses, phone numbers and at the very least get their registration number.
On many occasions, it turns out after you got home and the next day, in the cooling off period, you will find something, even if it is slight.
Its just being on the safe side. there nothing wrong with that.
You are entitled to ask for that.
I feel an insurance issue coming on here.
I try hard not to.
If it was an insurance issue I wonder who would get the blame.
You for stopping sharply, but you got the excuse that you did not want to harm the children who dashed across in front of you.
Or the person behind who hit you, It is suggested that if someone hit you up the back it always there fault. because they should have been travelling at such a distant and at such a speed to be able to stop.
Or the two boys. you know what happens if they are under 10 years of age.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:16pm »

I always carry a camera, a packet of pens and a note book in the glove locker of my cars.
I mean you don't want to be struck there with no pen or paper maybe in the dark, or it pouring down of rain without these.
Its called be prepared.
I also carry a 11mm small spanner in with that.
Why. Well ever had a battery termial, a little loose that you engine will not turn over. just needs a half turn to nip it up. and no tools in you car.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:49pm »

I always carry a parachute, an inflatable dinghy some flares, snorkel and diving mask, a sleeping bag, hot flask of tea, mars bars and a packet of tampons.
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 3:11am »

Better not ask? Shocked

eddie
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 7:32am »

Good for gun shot wounds - didn't know it was that bad up there! Grin Grin

Daven
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 8:19am »

That spider is freaky, I can still see as I'm typing this,

Well I had it checked and a mechanic, my brother in law cant see any damage underneith, I pointed out the crack in the weld of the arm of the towbar where its connected to the car (two bolt thingy) so the weld give way, he agrees with my findings.   Grin..

Stupid of me to let her away with out takeing her insurance details or address I know but there was one lane of traffic about 40 cars and I was the first, I paniced. but luckly for me there appears to be no damage. the car seems to be uneffected as far as driving is concerned. Looking up at how the bar is connected it looks as though it cant move it spreads the whole width of the back of the car and then some more it goes forward! with really thick steel, I fear if the arm didnt give way something else may have.

I regret my mistake in not getting her details but I learned from that and will not do that again.  

the two kids where gone quicker than two cut cats, I was going to chase them but what about the car and the impatient people blowing the horns behind me, I was in the middle of a junction, but I know I should of asked her to pull over to the side of the road Embarassed. I will monitor the tires for the next couple of months for strange wear, If I dont see any I can assume there is no damage, if there is wear, I'm stupid and ignorent!

Oh I hate car insurance, even if its not your fault you are still "involved in an accident" and they will increase your premium and over here in N ireland its a joke. (the price that is)

Thanks for your help guys and its always comforting to know you all care Cry.
 Grin
JJ
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.