Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Steering wobble under breaking! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Steering wobble under breaking!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Steering wobble under breaking!  (Read 1785 times)
dart

Email

Steering wobble under breaking!
« on: Mar 6th, 2005, 1:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I thought that might catch your attention!
  I'm about to try Brembo disc's,I'll find out on Monday if they make the drilled sports disc's for the scorps,to cool them down quickly enough to stop them warping in 6 months of fitting ! (ford or not!)
     I'll let you know as soon as poss.(and the price,if they make them to fit!)
     I can't be the only one with the wobbly steering wheel problem, can I?
       Undecided
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

Re: Steering wobble under breaking!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 1:41am »

Dart, I had that wobble, it was sorted by replacing the wishbones bushes... smooth a silk now under hard braking

By the way: also replaced both front discs and pads at the same time.. not too expensive.. £250 all done
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 4:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yep I have it Smiley Stand on the brakes and just hold on!! Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 10:06am »

X-drillev and grooved discs are good. howver i had then in a modified capri and they do make alot of noise under hard braking. Does the scorp really need an upgrade over the originals? MIne on  my 24v were amazing......

Cheers Nick
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 10:53am »

I think the  reason  discs are vented  is to  dissapate heat,  never heard of them warping  because  of overheating in regular use .

Drilled and  Grooved  discs  are  just  a  marketing ploy  for the gullable  Cheesy.

Like Bottled Water. Grin
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 1:31pm »

Dart,
I'd be a little cautious about after-market brake disks and pads.  The ABS system module has the specs of the standard brake disks and pads built into its program, so that it can keep each wheel at the maximum retardation rate by varying the brake pressure applied.  If you fit other types of brake disks and pads you may cause over-braking - this will cause ABS confusion and your braking distance may actually increase ... so bear that in mind.

The standard Ford disks should give no trouble.  They are vented, of very good quality and well machined and they match the exact specifications of the original part.  If you 'season' them properly when they are new and bear a couple of points in mind when you are driving they should last 60 or 70K miles with no problems at all - mine have.

The brake disk care points are:
1. When first fitted and or/with new pads avoid heavy braking for at least 100 miles.
2. You may consider 'conditioning' the new disks after the first 100 miles.  On a road where it is safe to do so brake down from 70 to 40 gently at first and then again with gradually firmer pressure and end with the brakes off while accelerating smoothly again.  This will heat up the disks and allow them to cool evenly, relieving any internal stresses built up by manufacture or fitting.
3. After any emergency braking to a standstill the brake disks will probably be almost white hot - as soon as possible take your foot off the brake and hold the car on the handbrake (or better still in P for autos).  This removes the brake pads from the disks and allows the disk to cool more evenly without hot or cold spots.
4. If after emergency braking the brakes 'judder', go through the conditioning routine again (as at 2) because this may relieve the heat-stresses in the disks.

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 4:01pm »

golly Mr_Floppy don't you start me off on bottle water. In recent tests some I repeat some they had more bugs etc in it than tap water.
Some of this bottle water I would not wash my Alloys with.
Myself we have a water filter on the kitchen sink, that removes any chemicals.
On the subject of warped discs, I thinking it got to be mis use.
I mean you must have seen what I see every day. People busting a gut to get a couple of yards ahead and then having to stamp on the brakes.
all that extra petrol then all that brake linning. what a waste of money.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 4:21pm »

When first fitted and or/with new pads avoid heavy braking for at least 100 miles
--------------------------------------------------------------
But Eric, I always avoid heavy braking for every, not just 100 miles.
Brakes are for a emergencies not for driving on.
I just wonder, you are asked and have to declare all mods or non standard fitments, when you insure you car.
Hey I just mentione that word again, don't seem to be able to get it out of my head, sorry.
So do people say, yes i changed my brake discs and pads from Ford to some others.
I feel another thread coming on but I will resist.
My cars are auto's but I hardly use the brakes, just to give the final stop and hold it still at hold ups.
The trouble is that some people think that they can drive if they scream along, but wise people will know what I mean when I say it is in fact harder to drive slow than fast.
Like if you are on a motor bike it easy to drive fast in a straight line but to drive slow around cones without touching the floor with you feet that another story.
By the way what oil do you use in you car. Still better not say in case its not what others approve off.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 4:31pm »

Don't know about emergency braking,  but  what separates  the Men from the Boys when braking is concerned is  long  and  twisty downhill  roads.  

I got lost in the Yorkshire Dales a few years ago  and  after  climbing  to  the top , there was, naturalmont, a 8 mile descent  to  Willeheckerslike  or Hepplethwaight-on-Rye (or someplace like that),  by the time I was half way down smoke was  reeking  front the front  discs and  braking was almost non-existant, it was heart-in-mouth time  until we safely  rested  on level ground  and gave the  brakes an hour to cool down.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 5:37pm »

hi there

i need to agree with eric here regarding the ford discs. i've replaced mine all round only because i left changing the rear pads a week too long.  Sad i changed the front at the same time as i thought there was a bit of metal missing. turns out this was to balance them Embarassed

now, i 'push' on every now and then (de-catted, 165bhp+ Grin) and have never had any issue with them. i always use ferrodo pads, which i think the best 'normal' pads available.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 8:47pm »

on Mar 6th, 2005, 4:21pm, johnv wrote:
My cars are auto's but I hardly use the brakes, just to give the final stop and hold it still at hold ups.
The trouble is that some people think that they can drive if they scream along, but wise people will know what I mean when I say it is in fact harder to drive slow than fast.

watch out for a Metallic Blue Focus on full chat in your rear veiw mirror John... Grin Grin I'll be flashing my lights urging you out of the way LOL .... DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cheers Nick Wink
IP Logged
proberjohn

No Scorpio any more -(

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 8:57pm »

I've got the shimmy at 50 mph when braking lightly - booked into garage next week to have a look at it - it's getting worse.

Suspect bushes as per Vulcan's post - don't think its discs.

John B.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 6th, 2005, 10:36pm »

on Mar 6th, 2005, 4:31pm, mr._floppy wrote:
Don't know about emergency braking,  but  what separates  the Men from the Boys when braking is concerned is  long  and  twisty downhill  roads.  

I got lost in the Yorkshire Dales a few years ago  and  after  climbing  to  the top , there was, naturalmont, a 8 mile descent  to  Willeheckerslike  or Hepplethwaight-on-Rye (or someplace like that),  by the time I was half way down smoke was  reeking  front the front  discs and  braking was almost non-existant, it was heart-in-mouth time  until we safely  rested  on level ground  and gave the  brakes an hour to cool down.    

Isn't that what Ist and second gear is for? Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

johnv

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 6:32am »

watch out for a Metallic Blue Focus on full chat in your rear veiw mirror John...   I'll be flashing my lights urging you out of the way LOL .... DRIVE LIKE YOU STOLE IT  

-----------------------------------------------------------------
But I no old fudy, its just that I drive to the speed limits and with regards to the conditions at the time.
I alway make it as easy as possible for anyone that wants to overtake to do so.
But I never give in to bully boys. I just ignore them. If they hit you up the back, its alway their fault.
Its just cost a chap who did that, while I was at a small road junction waiting to enter the main road.
This is his losses.
One days lost pay from his work.
His NCB for some years to come, you only get it back over four or five years, a little at a time.
His excess, about £200 or £250  
Plus higher premiums for his insurance over the next years.
Plus compensating to me for phone calls, travel to get
 repair quote and effect repairs. etc. etc.
When you add it all up, over say four years or so ist going to cost him a few thousand pounds.
Well you just add it all up over the years to come.
Hey! How did we get onto insurance again.
Its not smart to be NOT smart. (another of my pet sayings).

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 6:39am »

I've got the shimmy at 50 mph when braking lightly - booked into garage next week to have a look at it - it's getting worse.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Well on all my cars I had that to some degree, Changing the front discs was an instance cure.
Very well pleased
But I no expert. so I not trying to be one.
But on my 1996 car it now done 138,000 miles that has not need new bushes.
Yours is 1998. But like I say, I no expert just telling you what worked for me
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 6:42am »

YAWN!!   Wink

Nick... I'll race ya!   Grin

(Proper Ford discs, totally unwarped)
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 7:48am »

on Mar 7th, 2005, 6:42am, Paul B wrote:
YAWN!!   Wink

Nick... I'll race ya!   Grin

(Proper Ford discs, totally unwarped)

i think u will win paul.......  Undecided Undecided Undecided
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 10:17am »

In my case, when I took my car back at about 4500 miles after new disks and pads with vibration under braking they replaced them under warranty as warped.  

Same thing happened twice more and I was really getting wound up about this, starting to wonder if competition bits were called for.  

Same garage then did MOT and identified worn bushes which were replaced.  

My Scorp has stopped sweetly ever since.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
micco2us

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 7:59pm »

Had this wobble on my Granada Scorpio. Turns out  the steering rack was worn.
Love the quote, Drive like ya stole it!
IP Logged
proberjohn

No Scorpio any more -(

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 8:13pm »

The garage tells me that bushes are fine and it's the discs.  Off the cuff quote was around £150 for new front discs and pads - I can get an axle worths of Delphi pads and discs for less than £45 delivered (Inc VAT)!!!

I have a nice pair of 7mm hex keys which I had to get last week to change the Probe front discs so prob do them myself.

John B.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.