Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:19pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Woe!!! its M.O.T. time »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Woe!!! its M.O.T. time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Woe!!! its M.O.T. time  (Read 650 times)
Silver_Poppy

The HEAT is on!!!

View Profile

Woe!!! its M.O.T. time
« on: Mar 15th, 2005, 9:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

BBiiiiiiggg sniff Angry
     Took my scorp in for its MOT and flew through everything Cheesy except the exhaust,(hole in top of first box middle section) Sad couldn't see it from underneath.  Rang round for cheapest quote (as you do ) and found one very acceptable. New exhaust fitted went back to MOT centre, passed Cheesy, but told by inspector that new exhaust had small hole in one box Sad.Rang exhaust fitters who told me to ' bring it back and we'll have a look'.  Took my scorp back and my god Shocked wish I hadn't.  They pulled it into a bay which has one of those hoists that has four lifting points abit like four jaks ( don't know the name of them please excuse my ignorance ) and to my HORROR  Shocked Shocked Shocked before my very eyes my sill was bent and creased!!!! whilst lifting. So I said calmly (not!!!) please stop Undecided Undecided Undecided.  After transfering it on to a lift that you drive on to, it turned out that a weld on the new exhaust had not been completed ( hence the hole, resulting in blowing ) but what about my sill I said calmly Undecided. The fitters assure me that they would sort it out for me and out came the camera for the photos of the damage.  Now I have the pain in the butt job of getting quotes to repair the crease in my sill made so very kindly by the exhaust fitters.  Very annoyed is putting it mildly.  

OK I've had my rant maybe I'll have a good nights sleep now and look forward to getting my scorp REPAIRED :- Lips Sealed Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Undecided    

S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P.
IP Logged
ScorpioWidow

Email

Re: Woe!!! its M.O.T. time
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 10:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

feelin' for ya mate......nasty mechanic, would've removed his manhood slowly and painfully.......
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 10:39pm »

Oh my God  Embarassed ... my condolences. I hate those lifting things with the four things... The jacking points are so specific that I have to read manuals just to make sure i'm doing it right. I watched a random apprentice mechanic putting mine of the lifting thing of death. Suffice it to say I was luckier than you.  

Good luck sorting it : (

Dave
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 6:33pm »

It seems that  your bog standard  grease monkey ( and I mean that in a nice way )   have  very little idea  that  there   are    jacking points  specific   to  every  car  and   that  just  vaguely  shoving  it underneath   is not  good  enough.

I was told  by  a  mechanic  that  the  4 point  lifters  should only be  used   on   fairly  new cars  because  older  ( and more  rust weakened )  cars   are in  danger   of   collapse.
IP Logged
Rod

'98 Lexus LS400 Mk IV

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 9:54pm »

So, if you hadn't gone straight back to the MOT station, the garage would have taken good money for a duff exhaust.

Huh Huh

So much for 'experts.'
IP Logged

I don't believe it!!
Silver_Poppy

The HEAT is on!!!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 5:26pm »

Rod you're spot on there!! I guess I owe the M.O.T. tester a drink for his advice, but as you say 'Experts'!
Mr Floppy, bit vague in my description probably because I was still raging then Grin, but now I am calm Roll Eyes I can say rust wasn't the issue here or weaknd sills either, the placing of the jack pad was seemingly correct but as the car began to lift the arm that linked the rear jack point to the lift mechanism itself was the culprit as it went up faster than my car and it was the arm that did the nasty deed (ouch Cry) If it had carried on the lifting I think it would have got my door and then popped out from under the car (it hurts just thinking about it), anyhow quotes are in and with the garage, waiting to here a reply now but not much change from £300 here I'm afraid.  The garage are being quite good about it though it has to be said and the owner seems genuine, we'll have to wait and see Undecided

S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P. S.P.
IP Logged
Silver_Poppy

The HEAT is on!!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 5:30pm »

P.S

S.W. & Dave thanks for the counciling it was needed when times were bad Smiley Smiley Smiley feeling a little more optomistic now for a resolution

Thanks

Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy Silver Poppy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.