Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 4:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Sunroof Chattering »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Sunroof Chattering
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sunroof Chattering  (Read 610 times)
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

Sunroof Chattering
« on: Mar 19th, 2005, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there,

I have a problem with what seem to be the drive slipping when opening my sunroof, opens about 4" and then starts chattering, has to be helped to close by push it back to the good drive section .
Also will not tilt, but I can live with that..

Is it a fault that can be retified or serviced or is it atrip to the scrap yard..

Cheers

John
IP Logged
Richard

Email

Re: Sunroof Chattering
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 7:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sounds to me like your nylon drive gear has started to strip, You may need a new motor from a scrap car.
Good luck in finding one.
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 7:26pm »

Hi Richard,

What does the motor drive, a belt or worm thing to drive the sunroof, is it all an encased unit

cheers

John
IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 10:51pm »

The motor drives worms and gears and is incased as one with a splined drive coming out of it, this then bolts to the roof and into the sunroof drive, You may be able to use from from an earlier Granada but the plug will have to altered and you will ned toworkout the wires as these will be of a different colour.
Regards from a halfcut Welshman, Cheesy Wink

Others that have done this will be able to help you out more.
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 10:11am »

yep .. older Granada is the same motor ...... STN
IP Logged

Mrs Phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 3:19pm »

And guess what my sunroof did yesterday as the sun came out - Yup you guessed it, moved an inch an or so then stopped and made that lovely chattering sound of tiny teeth sliping over each other at high speed.

Bloody Typical !
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 8:51pm »

Seems like we are at one or should that be two....I think I will leave well alone untill I get my auto box filter cleaned and re-filled, towbar fitted when I get those torky thinks free...just hope nothing adds to the list in between....with your luck and mine just watch the forum........agh...

Cheers  
John
IP Logged
Richard

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 8:57pm »

Yes John......... Welcome to Scorpio ownership  Cheesy Wink
IP Logged
iainc

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 4th, 2005, 1:41pm »

John
The motor/gear assembly is not serviceable - it is a sealed unit.  The main gear that moves the sunroof is nylon and not what I would describe as robust.  Some of the ridges will have been stripped (and others may follow, I guess, through natural fatigue).  Good luck on finding a second hand replacement; a new Ford motor assembly, amazingly, will not give you much change out of £250/300.

Iain C
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2005, 11:35pm »

As STN said, the motor is the same as the mk3 Granada and there are plenty of those around in scrap yards so a replacement should not be to expensive, regularly appearing on ebay etc for 20-30 quid.

Important thing is that you need to oil the roof on a regular basis and use it from time to time.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 8th, 2005, 12:07am »

Thanks all for all the input, after reading all the posts on all the faults  I should have a completely replaced Scorpio in 3yrs 7months and 5 days..Oh forgot about the leap year correction... Cheesy

Seriously, had a Montego for 4 yrs..covered 50,000mls with 15,000 miles of caravan towing, other than tyres and silencers only replaced pads and shoes and one front wheel bearing and never let me down once ...ever....but  street cred was zero.. so my grandchildern said...

Still love the Scorpio though, but my wallet might start to complain... Sad

Now it is warming up I think the sun roof requires the awaiting repair..hello mr scrap yard yet again..

John
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 8th, 2005, 12:09am »

Sorry, forgot to add the 40 tins of plastic padding Grin
IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 11th, 2005, 2:47am »

i believe that the whole unit is classed as a 'cassette' and comes complete. but now you watch and see someone prove me wrong!
good luck
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 11th, 2005, 8:49am »

Mal

You are right the roof is a cassette with an alloy spindle attached, the motor  is bolted to the car and can be dropped out without removing the cassette.

The motor has a nylon drive that meshes with the spindle and if the roof sticks, gets chewed up by the alloy spindle. Hence the need to drop the motor to check. If the drive is chewed up then you need to free up the roof and replace the motor.

Geoff
IP Logged

wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: May 11th, 2005, 8:47pm »

hI Geoff,
I have taken the motor out, where do I lubricate, can't see any of the works. Have I to open the sunroof somehow if so how and then grease the rails or have I looked in the wrong places..all help will be appreciated.

Cheers

John
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 13th, 2005, 10:13am »

John

First question, is the nylon drive in good condition or are the teeth chewed up?

Second, if the drive is removed you can usually push the roof down by applying pressure to the rear of the roof from above, gently does it.

If the rear of the glass roof drops down, you will find that there is a gap at the front edge of the roof and you should then be able to ease the roof back.

Have a look at the sunroof section from the closures menu on the main site to see things in a bit more detail. http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/closuresmanl.htm

If you can slide the roof back you will see on either side of the roof rails a small hole through which you can see a spiral wound cable, I applied small quantities of oil here and manualy worked the roof backwards and forwards.  

+++++++++++++++CAUTION +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++  careful about how much you use and the way you apply it, remember that to much or sprayed to liberally could stain the headlining or interior. Tube on a wd40 nozzle works well.

Provided the drive is not chewed up and you can get the roof moving again you could work on the sun tan later in the year.

Other thing to remember you will need to put the roof back into the closed position before you refit the motor.

Good luck!

Geoff
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 13th, 2005, 10:23am »

hi geoff

Quote:
If you can slide the roof back you will see on either side of the roof rails a small hole through which you can see a spiral wound cable, I applied small quantities of oil here and manualy worked the roof backwards and forwards.  

can you give me more details. i'm having a bit of bother with mine. all greased up, but only wants to move back 2". it will tilt ok, though. how did you move it manually? and where abouts is the holes. i've never seen any cables. it this the front or back of the opening?

regards
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 13th, 2005, 11:06am »

Hi Andrew,

Towards the front end of the opening on either side, running from memory here mine is in for its MOT today. Will try to post a piccie at the back end of the day, holes about 1/4 inch square and you can see the cable through them.

I am guessing from your mail that you have removed the motor, or is that 2 inch of movement using the motor?

If you have managed to get two inches of movement but jamming with the motor in place, don't try to move it any more until you have taken the motor out.  

You can apply more pressure than the motor, draw it forward and back and keep repeating and you will get a gradually improvement unless cable kinked and jammed.  

NB Just heard from the garage MOT passed.  Grin  

IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: May 13th, 2005, 11:16am »

hi geoff

no, everythings still in place. 2" was with the motor. sometimes work fine, other times 2".  

if i can get it open again, i'll have a look for the holes.

thanks again.
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: May 14th, 2005, 8:50pm »

Well got a motor from the scrap yard and carefully helped ease the roof open with the help of the motor..Greased the worm threads  and a smear on all the moveing bits and pieces...

All now fully functional..GREAT...BUT...another problem as shown today not related to the roof though..load of clicking and crunching from the rear nearside drive shaft U/J's I thing..Arggggg...I feel another post comeing on....

Cheers all

John
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.