Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:27pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Temp gauge dropped to zero! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Temp gauge dropped to zero!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Temp gauge dropped to zero!  (Read 2262 times)
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Temp gauge dropped to zero!
« on: Mar 20th, 2005, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all
just added some rad seal to the coolant (I know, I know, but otherwise i've got to fork out £500 for a big job on it, so I thought i'd try this first). I let it go round the system and the temp gauge was sitting at half way, when it suddenly droppped to nothing. The engine carried on regardless with no discernable change to the sound it makes, but I turned it off and came in to ask the group if this is normal.  

Going by a post i read it could be something to do with the rad seal doing something to the heater matrix. If this is the case, can someone suggest what I should do, as I am meant to be going out in in later today and don't want to screw my engine up!

Any suggestionsHuh
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Temp gauge dropped to zero!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 12:58pm »

hiya ... radseal's poor reputation with Scorpio cooling systems has no bearing at all on the temp gauge .. it's purely from long term " blocking " of small bore cooling pipes ..and if it does block a heater radiator then it will cause bad circulation ..cold heater ..and eventually overheating ... maybe you saw the temp gauge drop as the thermostat opened ? .. anyway ..it isn't the radseal causing it ... cheers ....STN
as long as your water is topped up and your heater blows hot then it's safe to use ...
IP Logged

cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:18am »

Thanks for the advice, but i've noticed that the gauge gets to half way then once the engine warms up it drops to zero then moves about from the top to the bottom of the blue section on the gauge. I checked the rad when I got to my destination this morning and the rad is cold, although the pipes are hot.

I've got a bad feeling about this and would really like some guidance as to what i should do now...............
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 5:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 22nd, 2005, 4:18am, cookie_boy2000 wrote:

I've got a bad feeling about this and would really like some guidance as to what i should do now...............

bite the bullet and get a new radiator as in your first post..
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 1:02pm »

The main problem isn't the radiator, it's a plate at the back of the engine that can't be reached without taking the head off/dropping the engine.
IP Logged
hybrid

Me (Human) and Peggy (Scorpio)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2005, 2:33pm »

I had a similar problem on my diesel scorp in that the temp gauge would rise to about half way then drop off competely. After a while it stopped rising at all, only rising sporadically once every week or so. It turned out to be just my temperature sensor. The radseal could just be a convenient coincidence. For the price of a sensor, its worth a look before splashing out on a new radiator.
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:19am »

from what i know about different "radiator seals" is that is just a temporary solution, just to get you going, after wich is recommanded to change cooling fluid and repair/change the radiator. In time this solution deposits on diferent components, thermostats, temperature sensors, hoses, etc, overheating the engine.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:41pm »

Good point Hybrid, my temp sensor was gone on diesel scorp when I got it, temp guage didn't ever budge!!

Changed it and no probs since. (Touch Wood)

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.