Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 10:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fitting an O/S wing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Fitting an O/S wing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fitting an O/S wing  (Read 406 times)
Pete

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Fitting an O/S wing
« on: Mar 29th, 2005, 9:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Would anyone have any pointers for welding a new wing onto a 97 Scorpio? Would it be as easy as cutting the old one off and replacing it or is it a job best left to a bodyshop?.  
I have no qualms about diy as I used to be a welder and did the odd bit on cars, but that was 10 years ago.
IP Logged

may you live for as long as you want
and never want for as long as you live
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

Re: Fitting an O/S wing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 5:36am »

I looks like they are spot welded along the top under the bonnet/hood.

eddie
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 6:08am »

sorry to say but if you have to ask you dont have the skill base to do it  Embarassed
the wings on these cars are spot welded on as part of the crumpel zone and i think they are what is called high strenth steel (a medium carbon steel that has work hardened when pressed to shape) if you weld them on you are putting to much heat in them and it removes the strenth,to put them on you would need to spot weld them as origonal or plug weld them (drill 6mm holes in the new wing and weld through the holes into the inner wing rail + bottom and sides)
all this while you keep the wing aligned in 3 dimentions so the fit lines and shut lines are right  

and just for fun the person who welds the wing on is libel for the safty of the work so if you crash and kill some one because of the repair you go to jail for free or if some one buys the car from you and does it in the future 
you got to love the EEC
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 5:49pm »

Well i have to disagree, i think that anyone with a modicom of weding and diy will find this an easy and rewarding task.There are a couple of hidden screws/bolts to look out for so go carefully. When welding on the new wing, constantly check the gap between the top of the wing and the bonnet and also the bonnet/ wing leading edge. Also the gap where it meets the door. I find the best way is to put my first tack weld up near the screen (dont forget to shield it against splatter) then a second one at the other end.After this get the wing to door gap right before finishing welding. Good luck in your efforts. john.n
IP Logged
Pete

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 10:14pm »

Thanks for the replies, the last time I worked on my car I had the full facilities of my employers to use, this time it will be a hire set from HSS, so I will ponder what to do
Given the value of the car.  
I am not put off easily having put a new front end on a Fiesta and forever welding bits into my XR3i, I was just wondering if there were any pitfalls to look out for.
IP Logged

may you live for as long as you want
and never want for as long as you live
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 7:58am »

well that means you have the skills level then Grin
be sure to get a mig of good size as some of the little ones @ hss spend more time cooling than welding
drill the holes about 4" apart to plug weld top lip and around behind bumper and underneath  behind door shut can be 2-3  1" runs  paint inside of wing before fitting with any colour you have to protect it as its easyer to do with the wing off the car and then you only have to get the little areas where you weld  painted to stop the wing rusting out in 6 month  Smiley
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.