Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help!!  (Read 672 times)
ash

1997 Scorpio Ghia

View Profile

Help!!
« on: Mar 30th, 2005, 10:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all , had a major problem today , was at a give way on a junction and all of a sudden couldn't change gear! Couldn't put the car in any gear so i forced it in 1st gear coz there was traffice building behind me , it drove ok for a mile or so then same thing couldn't get into gear ... any ideas?? I checked clutch brake fluid all topped ok. Car is a Scorpio 1997 R reg 2.3ghia manula 5 speed.
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

Re: Help!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 5:00am »

Deja vu!

This happened to me on 2 occasions.

1. Problem with Gearbox to propshaft flexicoupling !
  Not sure how this caused the problem,but the fix did the trick. I THINK it was loose bolts in the coupling.

2. broken clutch,actually the garage that fixed it didnt say wether it was the clutch or the release mechanism (hydraulic).

If you are able to engage a gear with engine off then I would suspect the clutch/release mechanism.
Dont rule out a problem with the hydrualic circuit.

I suspect (2.) was due to the release piston, as the syptoms were exactly the same as a snapped clutch cable on a previously owned Granada.

eddie
IP Logged
ash

1997 Scorpio Ghia

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 2:17am »

Hello Eddie , thanks for the reply ... i got my clutch etc etc checked - all ok Huh So what i done is drained the current brake fluid and refilled with Castrol Dot 4 synthetic brake fluid ... and now its been 2 days gears have not got stuck since brake fluid change .... could this have been the problem , old fluid in car ?
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 4:55am »

Wouldnt have thought so,very strange.
If the clutch cover was taken of to check then maybe the cause was rectified during this process.
Probably something like a sticking slave cylinder in the clutch.

eddie
IP Logged
daveyboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 1:50pm »

Hi Ash,
It could well be the fluid! Brake/clutch fluid is what is known as 'HYGROSCOPIC', which means it has the ability to absorb water. When this occurs, which happens over a period of time, the fluid loses its properties. Thereby, you don't get the full fluid pressure because of the water in the system! This is the reason why it is recommended to change the fluid in the brake/clutch system on a 12 to 24 month period!

Daveyboy
IP Logged

Daveyboy
ash

1997 Scorpio Ghia

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 2:44pm »

yeah daveboy thats what iwas thinking! Im 99.9% certain my gear problems were something to do with the brake fluid ... others might disagree but thats what it seems at the moment , now 3 days still smooth gear changes since brake fluid change.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 3:26pm »

The hydroscopic effect of brake fluid does not affect its properties as a liquid in so much that is still a liquid and there is effectively non compressable which is why liquids are used.

what it does do is lower the boiling point of the brake fluid so say instead of it boiling at 205c. When its old and absorbed water it boils at say 140 C and these temperatures are easily atainable when braking, which is why sometimes people complain that after very heavy braking they loose the brakes (The fluid boils, and turns to vapur and as such is compressable) , but when it cools down again the brakes act normally because the vapour has condensed back to a liquid..

the water in the fluid would not affect the proerties as far as operation of the clutch was concerned. you could if you wanted use water! (NOT RECOMMENDED)

I think you have had a sticking slave/master cylinder and flushing the system has removed the cause possible some dirt or even some dirt trapped under the rubber seal making the seal ineffective.

More info is available here http://www.mg-sportcars.co.uk/Brake_Fluidsl_FA_Questions.htm

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 8:10pm »

Why then do brake and car manufacturers  use  a fluid  which is  hydroscopic ? with all the  fluid technology we have these days, surely there is a fluid available that has all the properties required but never requires changing.

Or would that  deprive the motor industry of out and out profiteering from the beleagured motorist once again.

IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 9:24pm »

the brake fluid is as you say cheap  and so is what they use why spend cash if you dont have to  plus you get the resales to change it

i remember a program on the making of the austin mini  
and they spent a week trying to work out if they would use a door handle that cost 6 shillings or 8 shillings (30p or 40p for our younger readers)
in the end they went for you guessed it the 6s one  Grin
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.