Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Purchase advise please!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Purchase advise please!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Purchase advise please!!  (Read 537 times)
rjd

View Profile

Purchase advise please!!
« on: Apr 4th, 2005, 9:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After selling my facelift cossie just over a year ago, I've been hankering after another scorpio, really regretted selling it. Just been out this evening to look at a 2.3 ultima saloon, not a facelift Sad, but only 65k one owner from new. It drives & looks nice, but I'm not sure if I should "downgrade" no offence to owners of similar cars, but you know what I mean. I rarely used the cossie perfomance, where can you legally?, so the 2.3 would make sense. Anyone else done a similar thing, all comments would be appreciated  Smiley
IP Logged
bertie

Email

Re: Purchase advise please!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 9:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

well....I run 2 2.3 Scorpios and can honestly say they are excellent value for money. I get decent mileage and with regular servicing every 6000 mile ( oil and filter) then check over, I have never had a breakdown in all the years of ownership, saloon from 1997 and the estate for 2 years now.

check the car over thoughly, especially the usual culprits, the engine loom supplying the volts to the spark plugs hidden beneath the top engine cover, also check condition of plug leads while you are there. check the EGR valve at the back of engine cyclinder head is connected to pipework etc. take for test drive....I know you will be impressed. smoorth as silk and 147bhp  nippy.

I know the 24v is a beast, and having seen 137 on the local dual carriage way (private road !!) I can honestly say it was just ticking over eh Nic....2.3 is the most frugal of the range.

hope this helps

simon
IP Logged
nic

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 10:03pm »

I have a 2.3 estate as well and it is a fantastic bus, ultima facelift all the toys, cracking car.

Yeah but the 24v its, just, just a 24v. 1st gear round a roundabout, traction off, smokin, just a 24v mate.

Dont go with the head.............................................................
Go with the Heart, 24v, 24v, 24v.

Seriously there are stacks out there and the prices are dropping now.

Get a facelift 24v and be done with it, driving my white one to work at 4.30 in the morning, no cars on the road, A1 empty. Well It would be rude if I didnt, nay i would say impolite if I didnt check out the cars performance.

Over to you BAZ, i think im done

Nic
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 10:06pm »

on Apr 4th, 2005, 10:03pm, nic wrote:
 driving my white one to work at 4.30 in the morning, no cars on the road, A1 empty.
Nic

that'll be the 'private road' eh
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 10:41pm »

Face lift this ,face lift that!
    There's nothing wrong with scorps that have'nt had Plastic surgery!!!!! Angry

mine's fine anyway!
         dart
IP Logged
mikedamitch

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 11:30pm »

Hi rjd

You might like to check this out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9844&it em=4540206547&rd=1

Seems  like a good one.

Mike
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 11:37pm »

Agreed, Dart! The only things I like about the facelifts are the front and rear lights.

Apart from that... no puddle lights? What?  

R reg pre-lift!!

Dave
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
nic

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 11:54pm »

Ahh but you get into that exclusive club if the limited build numbers.

Oh and 3rd headrest, parking sensors, standard leathe  r and a sexy front with big ducts to cool the brakes down.

But hey, each to their own, when i win the lottery the wife is getting plastic surgery, just havent told her yet, now the google search, jordan

nic Grin
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 5:20am »

The other thing to remember is that the rust proofing on facelifts wasn't quite as good as the earlier cars so give the usual areas a really good looking at - rear arches, back of sills, floor and up around the fuel tank. If you can, peel back the inner wing liner around the boot and get in there with a mirror and a torch.

Although the 24V is a really nice motor there is nothing wrong with the 2.3 and it's cheaper to fix if it goes wrong Smiley

Steve
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 9:21am »

just put in my "tuppance" worth,i run a 2.3,and also now have access to a 24v,which 1 is faster,well obvious really,but on a personal level,i regard the 2.3 as the better car,but this as i have said is only a personal view,also you could also buy a late low mileage 1997 model,and then add the facelift extra's as and when from there,am currently doing that myself at the moment,and now down to the front bumper and the rear seat back,and lucky old me has only gone and found them bits as well Wink Wink Wink
just my thought though..
IP Logged
Chad66

'96 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 10:22am »

Just to add my thoughts......if you want a 24v go for a 24v.......

I've always resisted trying one 'cos I know what'll happen!!!!

IP Logged
Boblavens

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 1:34pm »

I have checked this out!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9844&it em=4540206547&rd=1  

and I am "Drooling" wish I needed another one but I can't justify it.
I'm going to watch to see what it goes for!

Bob
IP Logged
rjd

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 9:08pm »

Thanks for all the replies folks, the ebay 24v is just like my old one, just wiping away the tears!, unfortunately, I live on the suffolk coast, a long way from Manchester, a long way from most places really, & theres not a lot of  
scorpios about round here to choose from! I like the idea of adding the facelift parts, I prefer the f/l front, my wife likes the pre f/l rear, so could be done! The car I looked at has done 65k approx, but had a new engine at 48k, price £2.700 is that about right?
IP Logged
bobtheyop

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 9:31pm »

hello gang,

i've been bidding on this particular car over the past few days and it does look a cracker.parkers are pricing it at about 2700,but i would have to get it converted to lpg for cost efficiency,so you'd be talking nearly 4 grand.
a great shame,because it does look the dog's b.......!
interested to here about  the rusting,don't feel so gutted now,

cheers,
bob. Sad
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.