Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Annoying rattle! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Annoying rattle!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Annoying rattle!  (Read 965 times)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Annoying rattle!
« on: Apr 13th, 2005, 12:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I have a very annoying rattle which appears to come from the rear nearside of the car when I'm driving. It is like a clicking sound almost like two long lengths of brake pipe tapping together, but it is quite loud. The noise happens while going over the slightest of bumps but when I touch the brake gently, it stops. My mechanic has checked the rear discs and pads etc but we still appear to be unable to find it....his latwest theory is the swingarm bushes but I'm not sure!!

Anyone have any experiences/ideas on this one?

Baz
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Annoying rattle!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 1:10pm »

Hi Baz
check torque on n/s rear hub nut,they are normal r/h thread, check b/pads are not rattling in carrier also.
Martin
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 2:48pm »

Yes try looking at the anti squeal/rattle paltes in the brakes the ones behind the shoes  9if they are fitted) they can rattle and be very annoying.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
nic

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If its stopping when bracking it could well be a bush or 2, but I would be looking at the squeel shims mate, easiest, and cheapest to rule out.

the rear bushes are not nice to change.

I am tackling my front end this weekend, new springs, shocks, drop links and discs and pads, oh and 2 new tyres.

Gonna be a busy weekend

Nic
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:43pm »

Baz

I had an annoying rattle on the estate exactly like you describe.....turned out to be the hub nut needed a pinch..

hope this helps

simon
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 11:14pm »

Thanks Simon, I'll get him to check

Nic,

I've just had most of that done today...new drop links, disks, pads etc. Next job has got to be finding this bloody rattle....it is driving me nuts!!

Baz
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 9:35pm »

i once had this ona la**na ,it turned out to be the caliper sliders were worn thus allowing the caliper to rattle on its sliders,try braking to see if the noise goes away ona bumpy piece of road Huh
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 7:41am »

Perhaps try easing the handbrake on see if it any of the linkages etc.Sure there is nothing in the boot/spare wheel well or under rear seat?
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 3:09am »

have you looked at all the exhaust hangers ??
most common rattle on any car is the exhaust hitting things when a rubber has gone
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 9:42am »

David,

I have checked all of the handbrake components as well as just about every other bit under there! I thought of the wheel well too, but nothing there either

Baz, I replaced the rubbers just to be sure a few weeks ago, still ratting!

Thanks guys

Baz
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 8:42am »

Hi baz
Try checking the bottom of the rear shock absorbers/springs for small stones as they can collect here and cause an anoying rattle when driving over rough ground.It happened to me and drove me mad for 18 months. Remove wheel and use a tourch to see.
regards
Wayne
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 9:20am »

Cheers Wayne, I'll have a look today

Baz
IP Logged
John_Carmon

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 6:35pm »

Hi, had this problem once, it turned out to be the Ford centre press in plate of the alloy wheel which was loose fitting, felt abit of a wally after having everything else checked. I swapped it with one of the other wheels & end of problem.
IP Logged
Chad66

'96 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 9:32am »

I've been following this topic with some interest as I've been having a similar problem with rattling on uneven surfaces and had visions of more expense on brakes, hubs etc....

Finally got round to checking yesterday.....turns out to be the jack handle loose in the wheel well...

woohoo a free repair!! Grin Grin Grin

(glad i didn't take it to a garage!!)
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 10:05am »

I am sure if you had taken it to a Ford garage they would have only charged you £299 plus vat !
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 6:56pm »

after reading waynes post 1 thing cpmes to mind  
check the tightness of all the shocks mounting bolts  
when i made my sierra (it had been rolled and i got a new shell from ford ) i spent a nice afternoon being driven around with the rear seats pulled out while i tried to find a little rattle  
. turned out to be a top mounting bolt that was to long in the shank (the bit that is not threaded ) so was thread bound and would not tighten any more  
btw its fun trying to fit a washer while a car drives along and you try to keep a bolt in place   Grin
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 18th, 2005, 8:30pm »

Nuts! Grin

eddie
IP Logged
TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 19th, 2005, 3:19pm »

Got a similar problem. Been rattling since I bought the car last July. Been driving me nuts. Found the cause on Sunday. Similar to bazw. The passenger side rear shock top mount nut is only screwed down about 3 threads. Large washers underneath rattling like a goodun. Must have been left loose when new shocks wre fitted before I bought it. The weird thing is that there is no other noise to indicate that one shock is about to fall out!

Cheers

Pete H
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:00am »

Yes, these rattles can be a pain to find.  Don't rule out suspension because the rattle stops when you brake, though.  Each wheel is retarding the progress of 1.6 tonnes of metal, so when you apply the brakes - even lightly - the suspension loads up and this may lock the article in place.  But neither can you rule out the obvious brake parts!  Word around the entire suspension and make sure all nuts and bolts are torqued up.

The other diffculty is that jacking up the car so that the wheels are off the floor then puts the suspension on full droop, and again this can lock up the offending part and prevent it from moving.  If you have wheel ramps, try driving the car up onto them (and of course chocking the rear wheels) so that the road wheels and the suspension is in normal position.  Then use a large rubber mallet to strike the suspension in suitable places (but beware of any brake pipes) and see if you can induce the rattle that way.  Any rattle that you hear induced in this way may be the noise you can hear on the road - it will sound different because you are not putting the same energy into the suspension that the road does when the car is doing 30mph!

You mention that the brakes have been checked out - so this should mean that the front calipers are free to slide across the axis of the disk?  If it's sticking then one of the brake pads might be 'floating'.  The inner pad has a spring clip into the piston so it shouldn't be that one, but the outer one hasn't.  Check that the brake caliper spring plates are okay.

Check both ends of the roll bar (stabiliser) tie rod - these have been known to rattle and applying the brakes causes the road wheel to 'drag' back against the suspension and lock it up.

HTH
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:19pm »

If    the    Scorpio    rear anti-roll bar  drop links are similar to the Mondeo  ones  then  I   would   check  them  out   ( not  expensive  to  fix ).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.