Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Right come on you lot. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Right come on you lot.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Right come on you lot.  (Read 1215 times)
nic

Email

Right come on you lot.
« on: Apr 26th, 2005, 12:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What a day and a half.

Right down to biz, ever since I swerved to avoid that kid(Wont be doing that again, easier to replace the bonet and screen) and hit the kerb been having bother.

Snapped a spring so changed that, but still getting a bang when I go over a bump.

Today replaced both shocks and springs at the front, both drop links and in case it was a pad rattling, put new discs and pads on.

Now the drivers tyre is tracked and I am off to get the tracking sorted on the way to work, but I went over a bump and the d**n thing banged like it did before.

This car is getting on my breasts, I know the front end will have to settle, but give me some ideas wher to look next.

£248 and the thing still makes the same d**n noise.

Right im off to have a whisky and a cigar cos that vein on my forehead is pulsing.

Bertie I need a d**n holiday.

help me out boys.

Nic
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Right come on you lot.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 12:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Have you checked for loose exhaust, damaged mountings etc? or is the noise definately at the front?

By the way, I'm looking at changing the front springs and shocks as mine creak like a sleepers bed!! How much were yours to replace Nic?

Baz
IP Logged
nic

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 12:32am »

Fornt Springs were £85 for the 2 , 1 ford shocker brand new eBay £15, other one at a factors £58.

Noise is definately at the front, looking at drivers side, but it caould travel.

Got my head done in

Nic
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 11:03am »

I know it's almost impossible to test  for  movement  in suspension  bushes  but,   what about  the  wishbone  bushes ( very   likely if you've had an argument  with the kerb !)   and   track rod  ends?
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 12:22pm »

Hi Nic .... remove your cross chassis brace at the gearbox tunnel < four bolts > temporarily ...and see if it does it after that ....regards ....STN
IP Logged

gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 1:12pm »

what about those little anti roll bar bushes Huhmy car used to knock over little bumps !but to look at the bushes you could not see that they were worn Huh
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 4:12pm »

Also check the security of the steering rack . the sliohtest slackness can cause a knocking. even if its only a small amount on the nut. worth checking over with a torque wrench ( BIG SPANNER)
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 7:11pm »

on Apr 26th, 2005, 12:22pm, SaveTheNight wrote:
Hi Nic .... remove your cross chassis brace at the gearbox tunnel < four bolts > temporarily ...and see if it does it after that ....regards ....STN

You know what... I still haven't tried this on mine. I know, I said I'd try it months ago now, but laziness set kinda set in  Embarassed Wink

Mine knocks somewhere underneath (sounds like the exhaust to me. And it happens on 'medium bumpy' surfaces but only if I'm turning a bit to the right (with weight transfering to the left).

Last time I was under the car though, I did look at this bar, and tried to move the exhaust by hand (to replicate the knock). It didn't really work  Undecided
Must try again soon.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27th, 2005, 1:03am »

nic check the inner bushes on the lower track control arm as you may have bust 1 (probs the rear 1 )and it can rattle , you need to put it on ramps to test as it will lock up if you just jack the car up and use a big screwdriver or pry bar to see if you can get any movment
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Gazz

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27th, 2005, 7:57pm »

HuhHi folks, My '98 2.3 saloon has had a clunking noise at the front for two years, it's gone through two MOT's and I've told the tester to pay particular attention to the suspension bits but nothing seems to be wrong.  I had it over the pit to have a look for myself and it all seemed ok.  Looking at those bushes and the cross member seem worth a try.  I have noticed that it is worse when the weather is cold and it actually stops clunking in hot weather.  Just one one of those Scorpio things perhaps?     Gazz
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28th, 2005, 8:21am »

Mines a 2.3 '98 and also has the knocky bit for the last two years and I also was supprised when the technician could not find something wrong. over a uneven surface I will get a slight knocking, I think its comming from the passenger side, i've spent alot of money trying to get rid of it.  

2 wish bones, 2 near bushes, 2 Track rod ends, 2 Discs and pads (needed them).

Never failed a MOT yet! but I would rather fail it and be told fix that thingy there.

JJ
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28th, 2005, 11:05am »

Hi guys,

Got to say that I had a very similar problem which I just couldn't identify. By chance I bought a set of anti-roll bar bushes off eBay and fitted them.... problem solved!! Very strange because both my garage owning friend and I had checked the bushes and couldn't see anything wrong with them. He said that he would have passed them in an MOT.

For the price of a set of bushes (not a lot I suggest) and about an hours work, got to be worth a try.

HTH

Thunderchild
IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28th, 2005, 11:49am »

Since I bought my car over a year ago, I would get a squeeky moise from the front left of the car when going over ramps. Didn't happen when it was raining. SO come service time, I got the rear bushes changed at the front as these were believed to be causing the squeeking. Upon removal, it could easily be seen that they were shot. A few days later, I notice the squeeking has returned. Turned out that it was the anti-roll bar bushes that were causing the squeeking so got these changed and it has been perfect since.
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 2:52am »

It isnt a bad idea to periodically spray the anti roll bar bushes with a silicon lubricant,as well as preventing squeaking it prolongs their life.

eddie
IP Logged
nic

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 7:10am »

Sorry all, been on night shift, just finished then im back out there, this thing is doing my nut in.

i will have a look and try the suggestions then get back to you

Cheers

Nic
IP Logged
nic

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 2:53pm »

Right, on my back again yesterday(Easy Baz) and its lookin front anti roll bar ish, that sort of area.
The noise is definately spring or something under tension as it is a twangy noise so thats where we are looking.
The bushes looked ok but i might have bent the bar when I have hit this kerb, so we will stick another one on and replace the bushes, at least I am runnig out of components to change.
Simon clear some space in the garage we have a busy week ahead Grin
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 3:23pm »

hi nic

wouldn't be the steering rack? it must have taken quite a bang on the kerb. Undecided

that being said, as pointed out earlier, the roll bar bushes make a hell of a racket when done.

as most people know, there is virtually no movement in any of the bushes on the scorpio. if you find even the slightest movement, then chances are it's done.
IP Logged
nic

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 4:07pm »

I Might just whip it off anyway, easy enough job and give it a look, I think I have one somewhere as well.

IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 1st, 2005, 12:55am »

btw has your  promo party ended yet  Grin Grin Grin nice to be back
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
Gazz

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 27th, 2005, 4:10pm »

Cheesy Hi Folks.  My scorpio is now clunk free in the front suspension department.  I changed the bushes on the anti- roll bar as suggested.  £9.45 from main dealer, easy to change, it took about half an hour.  Horrors! the clunk was worse than ever.  I got hold of the link rods(I think that's what they're called) on each side and found that the one on the driver's side had some play in it, bingo! I bought a new one from a main dealer £45 00. A bit pricey but instantly available.  I had good luck when I changed it, the old one came off easily after a squirt of WD40.
Then the road test; clunk free after two years and two MoT's.  I'm off to Bonny Scotland in the morning in my lovely, quiet Scorpio. Cheers folks. Grin Gazz
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.