Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:35pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coughs, splutters and general poor running. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Coughs, splutters and general poor running.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coughs, splutters and general poor running.  (Read 394 times)
thestens

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Coughs, splutters and general poor running.
« on: May 4th, 2005, 9:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I recently was given( don't ask it's a long story) a 1997 2ltr Exec. I've replaced a front bumper and lights but the car is suffering from irregular coughs and splutters and general misfiring. Some times when building up speed about 40 it almost seems that it feels though the car is holding back.
I dont really want to go to a Ford main dealer and pay their labour prices.

Any suggestions

Leigh
IP Logged
Ian_Alfa

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Coughs, splutters and general poor running.
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2005, 11:19pm »

Hi Leigh, have you checked usual suspects ie plugs , leads etc. You say "sometimes" so is this an intermitant fault or every time you drive,? Has the car been unused for a time Huh?
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 5th, 2005, 12:45am »

Hi Leigh ... as Ian says .. it's a symptom of bad wires at the coil pack ends of the leads ..don't settle for just eyeballing them though ..inspect the very ends for crumbling ......... regards ... STN

if it's a general loss of power or restriction ..then suspect a partially blocked cat ....
IP Logged

Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 5th, 2005, 2:35am »

Remove the blue/grey cover running down the centre of the top of the engine to expose the coils (2) and the wiring. Examine the primary wiring (thin wires) going to the coils,probably cracking and flaking off.
You can either change the whole loom or individual wires if you are handy with an soldering iron,or get a big roll of self amalgamating insulating tape from maplin etc.
Whip the plugs out and check their condition, you can use the reccomended ones or (as I do) NGK BKR6EKC.
To get at the plugs, remove the coil pack bolts (2 per pack),grip the finger pulls on the plug connector to no 1 and remove pack(4) and connector complete. repeat the exercise for 2 and 3.

Clean the MAF! Instructions on the site somewhere.
On the 2L it is just after the air cleaner box,pop the two clips holding the ducting to the box,look inside (the ducting) and you should see the MAF. NON CONTACT cleaning is best done with carburettor cleaner.

Take a look at the Lambda sensor wires,down past the exhaust manifold, the wires can chafe on the end of the sensor and short out.

eddie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.