Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 10:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Glowing Ignition Light »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Glowing Ignition Light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Glowing Ignition Light  (Read 463 times)
mickf

Ultima 24V

View Profile WWW Email

Glowing Ignition Light
« on: May 7th, 2005, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My first post on this board when I joined a couple of years ago (wow - I am still a Newbie  Roll Eyes )was about a dimly glowing ignition light on my Ultima 24v when I bought it with 54000 on the clock.   Various helpful answers were given as to the cause and solution but needless to say I just left it as it was and didn't change the alternator or get it fixed.  

I am now up to 89000 miles on the clock, commuting, long journeys, been to Spain and back in it etc. and I have to say that I have noticed no adverse affects to the car by just leaving it. I am on the same battery that was fitted when I bought it too. Other than the gearbox needing replacing just before I drove to Spain last year (good job it broke before I went - nice £1150 bill for recon box and torque convertor) the car hasn't let me down one bit.  

I am not saying that best advice is to leave it but my experience is that having left it - it did me no harm.
IP Logged

Somewhere near the bar or looking for it.
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Glowing Ignition Light
« Reply #1 on: May 7th, 2005, 2:07pm »

Must  be just  a  indication  fault,    or  stray  illumination from an adjacent dashboard  bulb  causing  it  to look  like  the ignition warning is on.
IP Logged
Paul_Boulden

Bald Eagle

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 7th, 2005, 3:33pm »

I have a similar problem on my 96 12v Ultima. The ignition light glows continually. About 2 years ago it just glowed dimly but now it is much brighter and is continuous. It has been suggested that the diode pack may be failing.
Last time I was under the car I noticed the alternator was getting contaminated by PAS fluid, I think I have now stopped the leaking, no change to the ignition light.
I keep intending to sort it out but it doesn`t seem to be affecting anything. Whilst the problem has existed I have had to replace a battery but it seems that it was the original and was probably due for replacement anyway.

Paul Boulden
IP Logged
Tobbe

4.1 litre 24v BOB

150118665 150118665    
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 7th, 2005, 3:40pm »

I have the same glow on mine but not at all times. When it's glowing I still have 13.6 volts and when I put on all electric stuff it decreases to appr. 12.8 volts. I have put in a new battery but it didn't make any differ so I asume that it is some problems with the regulator or the diodes on the alternator. Have never had any trouble with it though, I just let it glow when it wants to.  

IP Logged

Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 7th, 2005, 7:47pm »

Mick,
This symptom is most often caused by the diode pack failing in the alternator - it may last a year or so but eventually the charging fails, causes the module rests and flicking instrument needles and eventually the car fails to start.  However, in your case it clearly isn't the alternator to blame, otherwise it would have failed by now.

An alternative more likely to be the culprit is a poor connection at the alternator, or a dirty/weak connection in the multiplug beneath the battery tray.  A poor connection can cause the charge light to glow dimly, even though a good charge is getting to the battery.

If you check the connections to the alternator and the wiring that goes to the battery multiplug you may find that's the cause.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 7th, 2005, 8:52pm »

Had a problem like that on an old Cortina for ages.
I changed the battery. And I changed the alternator (twice). Always made sure that the multiplug was pushed onto the back of the alternator of course. Eventually I realised that one of the wires going into the multiplug was loose and not making a proper contact.  Angry Angry

The Scorpio is a bit different I suppose, but the point is that it doesn't take much for things to go pear-shaped.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
mickf

Ultima 24V

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 8th, 2005, 10:40am »

Thanks for the tip Eric - you might have guessed that I hate dipping under the bonnet and getting my hands dirty  Grin  It is an intermittent glow and I suspect that you are bang on with the loose connectors theory.

I shall try take a look at the connectors if I can find the time - perhaps even before it is too late  Grin

Cheers

Mick F.
IP Logged

Somewhere near the bar or looking for it.
macw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2005, 11:33am »

I have a 24v with this problem that has been like that for years the garage has never been able to solve it. However my brother had the light come on in his 12V and the alternator died within 4 months. I am not an expert on alternators, how easy is it to get the diode pack and replace it? As it stands I will get no warning of an alternator failure, which I'm not to happy about.
IP Logged
macw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25th, 2005, 10:35pm »

I have a 24V which had the same problem for years. It may be a coincidence but during a thunderstorm on Friday the engine died with a failure of the dash at the same time and while it would still turn over it would not restart. I thought about an alternator failure but surely that would kill the battery, which still turns the car over without a problem? My brother was drivin it at the time so I haven't had a chance to look at it. Any advice what to look for? Can this diode pack be replaced or is a new/reconditioned alternator required.

Anyone got a ODB near Basingstoke?

Thanks.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 7:38am »

If there is no power to the car other than the starter look to the main fuse links in the fuse box. It the car has experienced some high voltage nearby may be one or two of the main links have blown. listed a  " l" "ll" " lll" "lV" in the fuse box.

With regards the diode pack, Yes the diodes can be replaced but it is a fiddley job, its usual to get an exchange alternator.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.