Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 25th, 2024, 12:57pm

Balance: £22.50
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Passenger airbag »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Baz, Simmo, scorpio_man, Highlander)
   Passenger airbag
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Passenger airbag  (Read 379 times)
dondon

'96 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

Passenger airbag
« on: May 18th, 2005, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My '96 2.3 Ultima estate does not have a passenger airbag (just a panel where it obviously would go).

Please can you tell me if it is possible to fit one?

What parts are needed (I saw an airbag on ebay)?

Is it a risky thing to do - could it compromise the driver's airbag system?

Does the passenger's seatbelt have pretensioners regardless of whether there is a passenger airbag?

TIA
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Passenger airbag
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2005, 2:26pm »

This has been asked before and the general opinion was to leave well alone. If it doesn't have one, you may compromise the safety of your passenger as well as possibly invalidating your insurance.....buy them a crash helmet instead!!

Baz
IP Logged
DexterR1

2.0 16v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 9:07pm »

:) I have a 1996 Ultima that only came with a drivers airbag,  the passenger seat on mine certainly has a pre tensioner and I bought and fitted a passenger airbag.

OK, find a car with airbag (Passenger) fitted.  

Take off the panel housing the trinket tray, obd sensor etc.  You will see a small silver box with yellow cable, disconnect using the black clamping lever.  Safe for now!!!  

Take out the dashboard, six screws and numerous switch wires, don't be put off it is a pinch,  don't forget the headlight switch.  A bit of brute force to get the drivers side vent out, don't be scared here but go easy or top part of the vent cage may snap, not crucial but best to keep it there.  

Remove the two plugs near the silver box, just trace the wires, and undo the Earth bolt on the steering column.  

Now trace the wire up unclipping as you go, if you can't get at the ones behind the instrument panel four Torx screws release it to give enough room.

Continue along the wire and remember to take the little metal clips with you.

Now the hard bit, you have to prise of the airbag cover, the two black prongs that go into the red female receivers will probably snap, not overly nescessary to have these as the other four black snap in connectors work perfectly ok.  Take this cover with you, you must have this part, even if it is the wrong colour for your dash (IMPORTANT).

Next undo the four large Posi screws holding in the airbag, take these with you.

Turn the airbag slightly and undo the yellow wires from the twin explosive charges, which are now inert because you have undone the wire ok.

Release the red connector parts to hold the bits that have probably snapped but can be replaced.

Finish pulling out the wiring loom,  Voila, one passenger airbag system complete.

To fit it to your car you need to prise off your cover, a real pig and it will more than likely bend,  it is sort of screwed from underneath and is nigh on impossible to get at without taking out 95% of the passenger footwell bits and pieces.  Violence is golden here, trust me, and you already have the new cover with strap, the one from your car will not have the strap.

You do not need the black dish affair that the airbag sits in because your car will already have this fitted,  just make sure you take all bits and pieces as you go as explained.

You do not require the silver Airbag control box either.

Put the red bits in when you have prized the black bits out, the dash will bend enough for this without damage.

Fit the system to your car in reverse of how you took it out of the donor car.

Final bits are to connect the yellow connector to the control module, then switch on and ensure the airbag light extinguishes, hey presto, job done, passenger is now safer.

About an hour or so to remove and refit.
IP Logged

OBD2 Available in Farnborough Hants
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 2:54pm »

Also, if your car came factory with one airbag the VIN plate riveted to the top of the dash will only display X1. Now that you have retro-fitted a passenger one yourself you should tell the insurance company and the DVLA. Some insurance companies are so picky that ANY modifications to the factory specification that are not declared, they will NOT pay out. Even if the intended modification is in the interest of safety.

Just some thoughts

Danny_R
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 5:04pm »

One other quick note in the interests of self-protection

THE ABOVE PROCESS IS NOT RECOMMENDED BY FORDSCORPIO.CO.UK AND IS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS AND LETHAL. ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE GOING ANYWHERE NEAR AIRBAG CIRCUITS OR COMPONENTS.

I'm sure your understand.

Steve
IP Logged
DexterR1

2.0 16v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:41am »

Yeah your right actually, if you are not comfortable with this mod leave well alone or put it into the hands of someone who can, and knows vehicle electrics.  I am going to ring my insurance right now and check on the mod, will add comments later.

If it does not invalidate the insurance or alter it in anyway, I am happy to do this mod for anyone who wants it done and is not keen on doing it themselves.

Steve
IP Logged

DexterR1

2.0 16v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:05am »

OK guys hers the deal on retro fitting passenger airbags.

I have spoken to my insurers Norwich Union Direct, who put it to the underwriters.

Their comment was that it is not classed as a modification because the car is capable of having the item fitted as standard so it does not affect the insurance.

They were not even bothered about who fits it.

Hope this helps, and I will try and get to some of the meets for anyone who wants this doing.

All smiley now. Wink

Steve
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.