Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wrong Oil Filter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Wrong Oil Filter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wrong Oil Filter  (Read 397 times)
shaunskiman

24 valves of cosworth powered ultima ye ba ye ba

View Profile

Wrong Oil Filter
« on: May 19th, 2005, 7:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys,
I had an oil change at one of the tyre places about a month ago, I wanted mobil 1 but they could not get any delivered so I settled on an oil called DX fully synthetic.
Now I had an engine rattle on cold mornings before the change but now since the change it rattles 8 out of 10 times on start up even when the engine is hot and has only been switched off for minutes, could this be down to them not fitting the correct oil filter with this non return valve thing  Huh  
I am having the oil and filter changed again at ford in plymouth and I am getting the oil so I let you no if there is any change.
Thanks for any comments  
Shaun I...
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Wrong Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2005, 1:38pm »

There was a recent thread on this very subject,   the  up  shot was that  only in the very rare case of the oil  filter being totally  blocked  will  you need this  "bypass valve"  to  ensure unfiltered oil  gets to  where it's meant to.  If you regularly  change  your  filter  every 6K   then  it  don't really  matter  whether  this   valve is  built in to your filter or not.

BTW.   I got  a oil and filter  change  yesterday  from  the  " National "  chain of tyrefitters  , cost ?   £15.  not bad  I thought

Only thing is,  you're  not completely sure  what  oil  they  put  in, 10w/ 40  semi-synthetic   the chap said,   but what  make ?  

You pays your money........

IP Logged
shionogi247

I love my Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2005, 8:20pm »

Hi Shaunskiman,

The cause of the start-up rattle has nothing to do with your oil filter. The cause of this rattle is the right hand side chain tensioner, which drains if the engine is stopped (problem only occurs in 24V engines). When the engine is started again, it takes a while for the chain tensioner to pump up and tension the right hand side timing chain. During pressure buil-up, the rattling sound is heard.

The rattle occurs more often after the oil change, and it's the oil that makes the difference ... obviously this new oil drains very quickly to the sump pan when the engine is stalled, and thus the start-up rattle happens more often than with the previous kind of oil ... so there's only one thing you can do, use the other brand again and replace the oil once again. I use Castrol GTX Mabnatec in my Cosworth but elsewhere ont this site good results are reported by using 5W30 oil from Ford, I have no experience with this genuine Ford oil but it's worth a try!

Greetings Hans
IP Logged

Shionogi
shaunskiman

24 valves of cosworth powered ultima ye ba ye ba

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 20th, 2005, 8:07pm »

Thank you for the replys, Yes your right Hans I never really gave it a thought this new oil must be no good and very fast draining I am considering the magnatec or mobil 1 when I have it changed again on tuesday anybody have any ideas which....!!!!!

Cheers Shaun I..... Huh Huh Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.