Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« It Drives but.... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   It Drives but....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: It Drives but....  (Read 660 times)
cjashwell

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

It Drives but....
« on: May 23rd, 2005, 12:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First post. Had the 2.3 automatic  for about 5 months and already spent loads on getting the manifold, EGR etc replaced. When these were replaced it drove like a new car. Hence recent drive has left me depressed. Driving to Manchester last week I noticed the engine missed like it was starved for a split second. It seemed ok but after stopping for a coffee the good lady noticed the tapping from the engine. The tapping disappeared when taking foot off the accelerator but appeared again as soon as I hit the gas. At idle the engine is now rough and appears to be running on only three. Increasing the revs makes the tapping clearly evident. Didn't drive back from Manachester - relayed home. Am I looking at the top end or bottom end (big end)? Any ideas very welcome.
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: It Drives but....
« Reply #1 on: May 23rd, 2005, 3:52pm »

Hi Before you go any further, check condition of wiring loom in particulaur under the cover were the spark plugs are located you will probably find some hardening and cracking of insulation you may need to replace this loom, quite straight forward in the meantime temporary repairs will get you by but this must only be considered as TEMPORARY..
My 2.3 had very similar symptons as yours and discovered that the wiring loom was at fault, quite common with this engine as it gets etremely hot under the cover, anyway good luck and keep us informed.

Regards kenboy
IP Logged
cjashwell

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 28th, 2005, 9:36am »

Kenboy,
Been working away so first chance the morning to check out your idea. Cover off and right enough the wires were cracked and bare where they came out of protective insulation. Plugs don't look too bright so I'll change them and mount a temporary repair on the leads to No 1 and see how we go. I'll put a post up later. Thanks for the help so far.  
Regards
CJ
IP Logged
cjashwell

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2005, 10:00pm »

Checked the wiring. Cracked and hardened. Temporary repair undertaken. Idle a little better but not much.  Howver, still the same problem with tapping on acceleration but as before it disappears when easing back on the throttle. It looks great sat in the driveway but its not going anywhere fast!
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 30th, 2005, 10:22pm »

hi there

did you check the coil packs as well. might be one of them. Undecided
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm
IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 31st, 2005, 1:07am »

well done for spotting the problem Grin!
see one of my previous postings re this problem. sorted mine by soldering in two new lengths of wire to feed the rear coil pack Wink. started as a misfire at certain rev's and just got worse n worse! caused me lotsa head scratching and pains in the old glutimus maximus Shocked!! only found it 'cos i was changing plugs! I guess the loom is available to buy, but dont know how much, or how easy to obtain Huh anyone out there know?
good luck either way!
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 31st, 2005, 6:53am »

hi there

a new 'fuel cut out' loom is about £100 from www.fordpartsuk.com

hth
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2005, 8:33am »

tapping on acceleration,  cracked ex manifold, blown manifold to head gasket, blown manifold to front pipe gasket.
Martin
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.