Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wishbones: replacing this weekend »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Wishbones: replacing this weekend
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wishbones: replacing this weekend  (Read 508 times)
Mike_Floutier

'97 2.3 Ultima saloon lpg

View Profile Email

Wishbones: replacing this weekend
« on: May 27th, 2005, 12:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I'm planning to replace my wishbones this weekend and I was wondering if anyone else has done it and might have some tips.

I've read the write-up on the site which is very helpful but I'd like to hear anything at all that might be useful for when I've got it all in bits.

THanks

Mike
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Wishbones: replacing this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2005, 3:18pm »

Like most  replacement work of  running gear  your worst enemy is  the stubborn  or rusty nut or bolt.  Make sure you have  good  and  unworn  tools,  if possible, to  avoid grief,  equip yourself  with  sockets, open ended and ring spanners,  borrow if you have to.  There's nothing worse than a major job coming to a halt  because  you've  chewed up  a bolt head.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 28th, 2005, 12:32pm »

When I did mine, the main problem I found was that the pinchbolt would not un-do  Angry  I had to do a lot of careful heating to get it to shift. And after that, the bolts were broken. In fact, you'd be very wise to make sure you have ALL new bolts/nuts at the ready.

That's all really. Take your time and follow the stuff on the main site that you've already read. You should be fine.

Wishbone Replacement
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Mike_Floutier

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2005, 5:40pm »

Thanks Guys,

I've got the nuts and bolts and I've just picked up a few new tools so I should be ok.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mike
IP Logged
Mike_Floutier

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2005, 7:26am »

Ok, I'm underway. I've got all the nuts off but the pinch bolt doesn't want to move.

Two questions:

1. Do I have to lever open the pinching bit (and if so what with?) or does it just spring open of it's own accord?

2. What's the best way of getting the pinch bolt to shift. Should I knock it or twist it with a star type socket? Will heating it help?

Thanks guys

Mike
IP Logged
Mike_Floutier

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 29th, 2005, 7:55am »

Ok, I've now got the pinch bolt free by using a ball joint seperator located in the pinch gap and pushing on the pinch bolt followed by turning with the star socket.

So, the pinch bolt is out but I can't see how I'm going to free the rod that is being pinched (ie the one that sticks up from the ball joint.

Do have to open the pinch gap or is there some other way?

Thanks

Mike
IP Logged
Mike_Floutier

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 29th, 2005, 9:56am »

Ok, good news is I've got the thing off.

I hammered a cold chisel into the pinch gap a little and them hammered the ball joint rod out with the pointed rod from my puller; which happened to locate nicely into the available indentation.

I think I can start reassembly now. Must remember to get the fluid bushes the right way round and up and not tighten the nuts up until it's on the ground; hopefully they'll be room.

Sorry about this but thinking out loud really seems to help me.

Thanks again

Mike
IP Logged
ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 29th, 2005, 10:34am »

Mike , sounds like your going great guns , yes the pinch bolt area can be a pain but sounds like you have done it now.
Make sure you put some copper ease / grease on the parts when you re-assemble as it makes it even easier if you have to take stuff apart later.

Its a little tricky finishing of the tightening of the rears when its on the ground, I ended up driving up and down the drive to settle it all down and then put it on a set of ramps to finish the tightening of the rear bolts.

I did both mine with a little help in about 1.5hrs but it all came apart really well, it only takes one bolt too cause everything to stop very quickly!!!!

ChrisB
IP Logged
ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 29th, 2005, 10:37am »

Remember not to worry about the funny vibration you get off the steering wheel when first lower the car down and drive it. It really is quite disconcerting at first.
It will dissappear after a few miles.

ChrisB
IP Logged
ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 29th, 2005, 1:54pm »

Mike , your worrying me now  Huh your last post was 9.56 and since then nought  Huh  
Hope your OK matey

ChrisB
IP Logged
Mike_Floutier

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 29th, 2005, 2:57pm »

Thanks Chris,

Yup I'm fine. Got it done and back together even replaced the disks and pads at the same time.

I did the same as you for torqueing up the nuts; it's such a fiddle getting it on the ramps though, I can only manage it one side at a time on full lock to avoid the ramp fouling the body.

Anyway, I'm relieved it's done; it's the most serious thing I've done on a car and I admit being a little nervous. It's great to have the forum for support and encouragement at these times.

Thanks to one and all.

Mike
IP Logged
ChrisB

Without a scorp !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 29th, 2005, 3:16pm »

Great to hear its all gone well.

I know what you mean regarding major car repairs  Wink They can seem rather daunting at first , but the front wishbones are one of the easier jobs to do if it all goes well. It just seems scarey that your messing with the bits that hold the front wheels on  Grin

One tip is you might want to get the front wheels re-tracked now , but dont do it for a week or so. Give the new wishbone bushes time to settle in then get a laser 4 wheel track on it. I was surprised how far out it had drifted!!!!!!!! DONT DO IT for a week or so!!!!

ChrisB
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 29th, 2005, 5:07pm »

I'm glad to hear it went well today, I'm going to be changing my wishbones very soon and was wondering if you have to tighten up the pinchbolt/front bush bolt and rear bush bolts with the vehicle on the ground or is it just on the rear bush bolts that you need to do this?
Regards
Wayne
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 29th, 2005, 5:22pm »

hi there

ALL bolts/nuts need to be torqued with the full weight of the car on the wheels.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.