Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:08am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Front suspension struts »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Front suspension struts
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Front suspension struts  (Read 500 times)
Arkleygolf

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Front suspension struts
« on: May 27th, 2005, 5:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On a 2.3 (1997) Scorpio with 120,000 miles, both the rubber gaiters on to of the front suspension struts are broken, (brittle). As you have to take the suspension strut off to change them, is it worth changing both the struts at the same time. Any idea of cost or difficulties.

I can get hold of the coil compreser.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Front suspension struts
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2005, 9:45pm »

Is it worth going to the major trouble of strut removal and stripdown just to replace the gaiters?

They are not part of the MOT ( are they ?) and only  keep  the top of the  piston  rod  dry.  

Just a thought Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Arkleygolf

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:41pm »

Good advice - I jacked the car up, cleaned the gaiters and with some black extra stong & waterproof Duck Tape, carefully repaired the top of the gaiters. Gave the repaired gaiters a spray of silicone and they looked like new. Trouble was, as the car was up the axel stands I got carried away. Power washed the complete underside, removed the Auto box sump, drained the oil, new Pan filter, new dexron3 oil, hand painted Waxoyl underseal on underside, sprayed Waxoyl under wings etc - 3 days work. My neighbours think I am mad - but just retired and a happy Sorpio owner

Robin
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 2:51pm »

Madness  is  helpful   ( although not obligatory ) when  you  become   a  Scorpio  owner.   Sounded  like a real messy 3  days.   Is the autobox  going any better?
IP Logged
Arkleygolf

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 2:45pm »

Just 3 days of fun and as this was over the Bank Holiday, better than trying to drive to the coast, in the company of 10mill others. Gear Box oil came out  medium brown and by taking off the cross strut, the auto box sump was no trouble. Drive is still as good as before, I done it just to give the box a partial change of oil but the old Pan Filter looked a bit sad and I was glad to change that (with new o-rings).

Managed one round of golf when I let the Waxoyl Underseal dry before giving it a spray of Waxoyl on top
Thanks for your thoughts - Robin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.