Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brakes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Brakes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brakes  (Read 493 times)
Ultima_Alan

2.0i 16v Ultima

View Profile

Brakes
« on: May 28th, 2005, 8:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hiya Again,

Does anybody experience problems with their brakes, i get a clonking noise everytime i break. Its as if something is loose, my dad had this problem with his previous 2.0i ultima and now its starting to happen on mine and it feels and sounds like its getting worse.

Im quite hard on my breaks but that shouldnt justify the quite loud clonking noise i get, also ive got this rattle but dont know what it is, ive had it up on the ramp but nothing is loose so im abit bemused as to what it could be.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Alan
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 28th, 2005, 8:24am »

hi there

just a quick one. are the pads the correct size? only other thing(s) i can think of is wear in the suspension....anti roll bar bushes, front wishbone bushes or ball joint, etc. on the scorpio, there is NO movement from any bushes. well, very very little movement! if you can see it move, then the bush is shot.
btw, the 'clonk' noise. is it from the front or back?

hth
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 28th, 2005, 10:13am »

How's the steering?  

Could be wishbone or strut trouble, when the weight of the car is  pushed  forward under braking  extra  force is  put on   these components.
IP Logged
Ultima_Alan

2.0i 16v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2005, 8:53pm »

Hi Guys,

First of all the pads are the correct size and plus it was making these noises before i had them changed.  
The "clonking" noise is coming from the front and the rattle i have no idea so would need a mechanic to road test it.

Now its funny you say "hows the steering" bcoz i have noticed its been getting heavier, its a real struggle sometimes to park so im thinking something to do with the power steering ??
IP Logged
Ultima_Alan

2.0i 16v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 10:21pm »

Hi,

I found the rattling noise to be a front link arm being shot on the left hand side and the brakes were a "5hit fit" apparantley according to my mechanic, they were rattling around everywhere when braking so had to be changed.

All is well now, no rattling or clonking so one very happy scorpio driver, despite the £118 labour and parts bill.

Alan
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2005, 12:26am »

the guy whom changed mine where supriced that the disks where GLUED on the innside. This is done when troble whit noice or shaking.? (meckanicks on the forum?)  

My klonk noice comes from BROKEN / Crocket Motorcraft dampers/suspension.... Having them changed next week.................
 Tongue
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2005, 1:48am »

my guess would be worn 'drop links'. They make a lot more noise than you ever think they could. Also possible worn anti roll bar bushes. I've never known the brakes themselves to 'knock' unless the pads are wrong!
good luck.
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.