Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Engine tray bolts. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Engine tray bolts.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Engine tray bolts.  (Read 326 times)
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Engine tray bolts.
« on: May 28th, 2005, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.
Just a wee question:
The other day I dropped an engine cover bolt in the engine and had to take the engine tray off to get it.  

It was lucky I did because when I got down on the floor with an allen key I noticed one of the tray bolts was hanging in it's hole by the skin of its teeth.. I tapped the tray and it fell out.  

I retrieved the engine cover bolt (horay) and upon screwing on the engine tray I found that not one of the four bolts is tightening up anymore.. they go in the holes but carry on spinning.  

I don't remember them being this way, i've had the tray off in the past and it's tightened properly.  

Is it supposed to be like this or have my threads gone? If so i'll have to sort something out.  

I know it's a tiny problem (the best kind) but I just want to know before I go getting glue and shreaded newspaper ready.  

Also... power steering scrapes: Yes we all know about that. But creaks? Mine's started creaking just occasionally. Ben thought possibly air trapped in the system and a bleeding would solve.. what do you all think?

Cheers, as always!

Dave
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Engine tray bolts.
« Reply #1 on: May 28th, 2005, 3:52pm »

The torx screws only screw into plastic inserts and they can be renewed, try using a differnt size screw to hold the tray in or get some of the small metal captive screw things and fit those in place of the plastic inserts.

It could be air in the system but could also be a ry joint in the steering mechanism somewhere, may be the link arms worth checking it over though , and the bleed the system turn from lock to lock several times on grass or similar witht he engine running,  to bleed the system.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2005, 11:41am »

Thanks Dave.  
Ben reckoned it'd just need a bleed and told me about the method of turning from lock to lock etc but I obviously forgot.. whoops. Anyway, I have done it now and i must say it hasn't creaked since... so far so good!  

You've given me food for thought on the tray bolts. I'll have a much closer look soon and try to get under there well enough to see properly. Tricky little problem. Hopefully i'll get metal captive bits, that'd be ideal. I don't want to be loosing my tray on a motorway. Or anywhere really. Anyone else had this annoying problem?

Dave
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2005, 1:29pm »

or just use cable ties Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.