Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Auto dim mirror. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Auto dim mirror.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Auto dim mirror.  (Read 453 times)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Auto dim mirror.
« on: May 31st, 2005, 10:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My mirror has just developed the dreaded black gunge and I have posted a request for a replacement however I am sure I have read previously that it is possible to take the unit apart and clean it so that at least it is useable. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks, Simmo Sad Angry
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Chad66

'96 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

Re: Auto dim mirror.
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2005, 12:47pm »

Hi there,

I've recently had the same problem. Snoopy's write up on removing the mirror is on the main site..if I was more cleverer on these computing devices I'd put the link in..but I' not... Roll Eyes

Basically, you can remove the front part of the mirror using a thin, long metal rule type instrument (I used a metal set-square) to prise the two halves apart. A screwdriver or similar wil rip into the plastic.  

You wil then need to disconnect the interior electrics including the metal wiring that holds the two parts of the glass together.(I threw all the interior gubbins in the bin).

You can then seperate the glass and clean away all the gunge leaving a nice shiny mirrored surface. I think Snoopy left out the plain glass cover and padded the mirror lens to allow fitting back into the surround. I reused the plain glass although I think Snoopy's idea is better as I've now noticed that you get a ghost image  due to the reflection on the plain glass.

One final point is that I did mine without taking the whole mirror off its mount.

HTH.....I'm sure if you do a search on the main site you can find Snoopy's write up which includes piccies....
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 31st, 2005, 7:11pm »

Sorry its NOT on the main site, It used to be but was left off after the major server crash we had last year, Reminds me to get it back on .... but its here if you want to see it.  
http://www.bigesmalls.freeserve.co.uk/photo_chromatic_repair.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 31st, 2005, 8:54pm »

Chad,Snoopy. Thank you. I knew I'd seen it before and I did a search on the main site and was suprised not to see it. Now I know why. Manyn thanks for your replies and advice. Simmo
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Chad66

'96 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2005, 1:39pm »

Thanks for the PM simmo...I'll give it a try next time. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.