Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 8:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Shattered Piston »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Shattered Piston
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shattered Piston  (Read 299 times)
mazzy_j

View Profile

Shattered Piston
« on: Jun 20th, 2005, 11:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, i'm a bit stuck as what to do here.  

The head gasket on my '95 td has gone and along with what i thought was a broken piston ring, but this weekend i took the sump off to find the remains of 2 crushed bottom end bearing shells, 2 snapped bolts which should have held them in place, and fragments of the piston sitting in the bottom of the sump. i then pushed the piston out to find the bottom half of the piston skirt missing  Shocked  

Now the thing is, there is a hairline score (which i'm hoping isn't a crack) in the cylinder liner and i'm not sure whether i could just polish it out as it isn't that deep and then put a new set of rings on the piston and hope for the best, or if its a case of a new cylinder liner which i'm really hoping i won't have to do.  

Any help would be very much appreciated,

Matt
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Shattered Piston
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 12:59pm »

think you are getting in a bit deep now, what about the crank & rods, all the bits in the lube system ect. second hand lump would be most economical unless you do it right. you are in bottomless pit teretory now.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 1:18pm »

all 3 other piston's and rods are fine, the crank looks ok but i couldn't be 100%. i'm just amazed that it ran and started considering how bad it looked. i have a whole heap of spares in the boot which came with the car i.e. pistons, cylinder heads, so i was hoping i could avoid a new lump by using what i have.

Matt
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 1:56pm »

bearing shells & bolts in the sump and no crank damage, thats a new one on me, what shape is the con rod in, how long was it running with failed bearing, that means no oil pressure to the rest, what are they like.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2005, 2:24pm »

the con rod escaped unscathed somehow, it look as though when the 2 big-end bolts snapped and the piston detached itself it stayed right at the top of its stroke (the valves look as though they just touched the top of the piston slightly) and so kept away from the crank. thinking about it, on the weighted side of the crank there is a small dent no bigger than 7.5mm long by 3mm wide and 2-3mm deep. the engine ran for about 5 mins at idle while i tryed to figure out what the noise could be because i thought it may have been a dropped valve. when it was running the oil light came on and went out as normal. thanks for your help,

Matt
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.