Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Engine Stall and Hard Auto Box Change 24V »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Engine Stall and Hard Auto Box Change 24V
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Engine Stall and Hard Auto Box Change 24V  (Read 376 times)
Malcolm73

View Profile

Engine Stall and Hard Auto Box Change 24V
« on: Jun 20th, 2005, 7:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 24V Ultima with 62,000 miles.  A week ago the gear box did not change up smoothly but this did not persist, however the fault has returned.  Today whilst accelerating from stationary the engine stalled but re-started O.K.  The tickover is no longer constant

I parked, in neutral with the revs at 2000 R.P.M.   On releasing the accelerator pedal the engine speed fell below normal tickover although it did recover.

Car was serviced in April, including plugs and filters

Any suggestions appreciated.  Malcolm73
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Engine Stall and Hard Auto Box Change 24V
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21st, 2005, 7:27am »

First thing to do is clean the MAF and see if that improves the situation, then after that if the revs are still rising and falling look to the ICV and throttle bodies and give them a clean with carb cleaner. If that does not clear the problem post back as you will have toinvestigate further.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Malcolm73

View Profile

Re: Engine Stall and Hard Auto Box Change 24V
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 8:59pm »

Thank you to all who read my initial posting.  I invested £3.75 for a can of carburettor cleaner.  I was disapointed to find that after 62,000 miles the two sensing wires within the M.A.F. sensor looked clean and were therefore probably not causing my problems.  The sensor wires were  nevertheless given several shots of cleaner.
                      Most of my driving is in town  and I usually achieve 20 / 22 M.P.G.

We have just returned from a weeks holiday in Devon and another 600 miles have gone on the clock.

I am pleased to report that the auto box now changes smoothly, engine tickover is precise and the engine seems to have more power.

On return from Paignton to the midlands the computer  was showing 27.1 M.P.G. and still rising.

May I suggest that whilst changing the air filter that a M.A.F clean could be considered as a worthwhile addition to the normal service routine.

Many thanks Snoopy for your reply and the corect diagnosis of the fault which was creating mismanagement of the engine and gearbox.  

Regards    73's         Malcolm73

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.