Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Major electrical problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Major electrical problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Major electrical problems  (Read 1126 times)
paQ

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Major electrical problems
« on: Jul 10th, 2005, 8:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

All help is very welcome

Recently I bought a dealer maintained '95 scorpio wagon. 2.0 16V GLX.

After a few weeks one of the channels in the headgasket gave way, and oil got absorbed in the coolant.
When the gasket was replaced, it drove quite OK for about 600 km.

On our way abroad, very warm day, we stopped over at a road restaurant. drank and ate a little and got back at the car. I noticed that the collingfan didn't stop blowing, with the key still in my hand.

I tried to start the car. The starter was doing its best, but the engine refused. not 1 round...

Afyer trying several things, I called the foreign roadhelp. In my best French I tried to do my story. The mechanic began to check the wiring under the hood. Relais where going beserk and the fan still blew. He disconnected the large connector on the farside corner under the bonnet, near the headlight.
the fan stopped, but the relais kept ticking.

after removing some tape and shielding of the cables going to the injectors, there was a lot of blank wiring there, some of it even sparking towards the engine.

not good. He said there was nothing he could do from there.
Here the horror really starts.

I called my father who didn't live tha far away from there. He pulled the car to the nearest ford dealer. On a saturday evening...
the owners of the garage where just outside when we arrived and did our story.

tuesday the mechanic began working on my car and said there where lot's of wires broken. They could be repaired instead of recplaced though. So he did. But the ca was spooky. dashlights when off and on, but no start whatsoever.

He called me back one day, claiming the ECU had blown. a new one costs 700 EUR.

I thought it over and decided to pay the bill so far (250 EUR) and arranged a car transporter from The netherlands. Together we drove over and picked up the car so i had it at home. another 300 EUR spent there...

1250 EUR spent, and still a not running scorpio...

Now it is at hoome. Checked the ECU and yes. it is burned. two IC's are black and the main chip has a big brown dot on it.

I thought i understood something of the fords mechanic claiming it was somewhere between the ECU and the fuelpump, BUT the fuelpump was working correctly he said.
gong from that, we first started to check the iring and controlling everything from the second relais block on the far side (continental steering).

all wiring under there was OK, and all fuses intact.
I don't know if I can check the relias in anyway, but the black relais (contact) has two brownish legs and the green one 1 slightly brown leg.

however, on the minus pole leg of the 15 A fuse of the fuelpump, we measure a 1,3 Ohm resistance. Is that correct? or does here lie a problemHuh

second thing
when I would replace the ECU. what are the chances of blowing it immediatly again?

third problem
I can't find the right ECU. It seems I have a replaced ECU in it anyway, because there where handwritten stickers on it.
the type reads: 95GB-12A650-BC
and it's exactly that 'BC' I can't dig up anywhere.

is there an equalivent ECU known for this car?

I truly hope somebody can get me start getting this car up in running order again.

IP Logged
paQ

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Major electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 8:57am »

sorry for the *kick*

but is there nobody who can give me any leads on this?
lor maybe about the Ohms of the fuelpump fuse?
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 9:41pm »

PaQ,

I guess people keep looking and then run away, sounds like you are having the sort of nightmare that we hope won't happen to us. Hopefully somebody who has had to sort this may post up something shortly.

It may be helpful to consider joining the mailinglist from the main site and posting your  situation up there.

There are a number of people on that list that have some more indepth electrical background.

EricR may know a user who might give you a steer.

The mailing list can be found at this link http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/mlist.htm

Good luck and keep us informed on how things work out.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
paQ

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 4:11pm »

I give up.

I can't seem to succeed in getting the right ECU.
Total waste of mney I spent on this car (almost 4000 EUR)

now it will be transported to the scrapheap... 0 EUR in return...  

Cry
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 4:11pm »

hi there

give these people a try.... http://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/product.htm#Ignition%20Coils

sorry it took so long to come back with the info, it was well hidden on my pc! Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.