Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:11pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Non Runner - suspected electrical fault »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Non Runner - suspected electrical fault
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non Runner - suspected electrical fault  (Read 509 times)
philk1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Non Runner - suspected electrical fault
« on: Jul 12th, 2005, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the past 10 month i have been running a 97 Scorpio 2.3 auto without any problems in 18k .
Two weeks ago 1000mile trip to SCotland again fine  , next day driving to work at approx 70mph on the M62 when I heard a clicking sound and started to loose power , stopped on hard shoulder and would not start. The engine turned over freely and temp was not excessively high , checking under bonnet no oil , water or steam.
After a trip on an AA Relay wagon I carried out a few more checks
1)plugs sparking ok
2)Camshafts turning
3)Fuse pump safety cutout in boot appears ok
4)Engine spins fast enough to start.

After thinking about the clicking I now believe that it was probably a relay chattering as it was from the front of the car and the pump pump is submerged in the tank.

I foolishly though that I would find the fuel pump relay easily with 2 fuse boxes under the bonnet , but no success and I believe that some reside under the dash.

Ford do not carry the relay as stock but ordered hopefully for collection today - but need to know the location - on Ford TIS it refers to SK4 as relay shows schemstic but not details of physical location.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

In desperation I now also own a 95 Ultima 2.0 Auto

Phil
IP Logged
philk1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Non Runner - suspected electrical fault
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 1:14pm »

Update - found the suspect relay (in fuse box next to battery) , ordered new relay and fitted .I can now hear fuel pump priming when ignition switched on , and checking fuel rail confirmed that fuel is now pressurised (impressed with Fords valve to check fuel in rail).

As I have a spark and fuel at the rail it now looks as if the issue is related to the system controlling the injectors, reading other postings seems to imply could be PCM (that sounds expensive ) is there  any easy way of checking bearing in mind the car cannot be taken anywhere ?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 1:37pm »

hi there

have you tried starting it with the red master key? might be the PATS module. is it flashing a code from the wee red light on the dash? have you had the battery off? taking it off for +10mins will reset everything (do you have the radio code). give it a charge as sometimes the pcm will shut down with a power drop on start up. battery spins the engine fine, but car simply won't start!

give these a go, hopefully that might do it.
IP Logged
philk1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 3:33pm »

Thanks for the assistance , the red master key is probably with original owner/lease company (as was the radio code -resolved at a price by Ford Dealer) so not an option. The light on the dash does not flash at all when trying to start, and battery has had a reasonable charge but not fully chargesd at present. I have disconnected the earth connection and will fully charge  then  try again.

Once again thanks for the response , at present I am trying to find anyone who can come out to run diagnostics as car totally dead main agent not an option.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 4:50pm »

hi there

2 other things...

1. local locksmith. most can re-programme a new red key at you home.

2. ckp sensor. if this is faulty or has a dodgy wire, then this would stop the car from starting (i think so, anyway)
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/misfiremonitor.htm

something else to play with Wink
IP Logged
philk1

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 9:35pm »

Tried fully charging battery and left disconnected overnight - no change when reconnected

Regarding  the key what confuses me is the engine turns over and there is a spark so I assume whatever the issue is now relates to the injection system ( as fuel pressurised at the feed rail), could the security system for the key cause that.

Phil
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.