Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Vacuum Line to Crankcase »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Vacuum Line to Crankcase
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vacuum Line to Crankcase  (Read 712 times)
macattack

'97 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

Vacuum Line to Crankcase
« on: Jul 16th, 2005, 9:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Recently bought a 97 2.3 ultima estate and it has a rough hunting idle. after carefull obersevation and finding the egr value loose on it's pipe running to the engine and the fitting that holds said pipe to the exhaust manifold basically has disolved into ashes, I thought this must be the problem. (also cleaned the MAF and TB). But i coould still hear a large hissing under the bonnet. after getting out the long pipe and listening all around i finally hit on the problem.
This hissing is coming from what I could only describe as a PCV valve fitted to the engine case just below the exhaust manifold. Once i traced that hard line back to the intake plenum and disconnected it and put my finger over the intake hole she idles fine.  So until it's cooled down, there not much more i can do.

But what is this as i see no mention of it as yet on the forum etc and has anyone had similar before.  I assumed it was some sort of PCV back to the engine for "cleaner" living but since we have the normal one on the valve cover whats the point. and is there any harm in leaving it disconnected if i can't get to it and correct the air leak?

Also anyone in the Luton/Watford are that can do a OBD scan for me Smiley

cheers
IP Logged
macattack

'97 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

Re: Vacuum Line to Crankcase
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 10:24pm »

ahh, it's cooled down and now I have sorted it.  It was a failed piece of rubber pipe between the steel line and in fact it is actually the PCV valve!!

replaced and all is fine (engine suddenly sounds a bit louder now!!  guess with the hissing gone you can hear more).

still it runs like a new one with 202k showing on the clock and still pulls 33.5 combined!!

still would like a scan if anyones close by.

cheers
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 12:47am »

202K ?

Is it  an automatic ,  still  with   the original  gearbox?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 9:08am »

hi there

did you manage to take any photos of the valve or the fix? it would be good for a write up for the main site.
IP Logged
macattack

'97 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 10:02am »

on Jul 17th, 2005, 12:47am, mr._floppy wrote:
202K ?

Is it  an automatic ,  still  with   the original  gearbox?

I was told that it had the auto box changed by the previous owner. car was originally a lease car from a medical insurance compnay so I would imagine it got serviced by the numbers and always got what it needed.  Interior (including the drivers seat) is mint!
IP Logged
macattack

'97 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 10:05am »

on Jul 17th, 2005, 9:08am, scorpio_man wrote:
hi there

did you manage to take any photos of the valve or the fix? it would be good for a write up for the main site.

SM, bad thing is where it is located it's near impossible to really see, kinda all done by feel.  I did find a decent drawing of it in the engine tear down pdf, so that might be a good source unless we have someone with an engine out or exhaust manifold removed. The fix is simply remove the 35mm piece of what looked to be std reinforced fuel line pipe and replace. Difficulty is dealing with the sprung hose clamps.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 11:02am »

hi there

i think i know the bit you mean! must see if i can get a photo of it. we normally tell members to look for leaks, but it's good to be able to point in the right direction, so to speak.  

thanks for this info.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.