Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:12pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help needed for non-starter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help needed for non-starter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help needed for non-starter  (Read 400 times)
simonc

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Help needed for non-starter
« on: Jul 18th, 2005, 10:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I have a Scorpio 2.0 Ultima estate which I have owned for the last four years and is normally a good runner as long as i use it regularly.

For the last 3 months, I have not been able to drive it and it has been stood up on the road. The battery has run down twice during this period and I have been able to recharge and it has been fine and started OK.

Last week the battery run down again and i recharged it to start using the vehicle again on a regular basis. When I put the battery back in again I started getting the same faults as this user did in this thread:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1113062745

ALL the leads (including the small black one) have been connected as usual and I have carried out no work on the car, it has also been dry weather.

When i switch the Iginition to I, it is OK, when i continue to II, the system boots up OK apart from the dials spinning around and back. When i go to start the engine, I can hear a fast and continuous clicking noise coming from the main and auxillary fuse boxes (possibly the relays). The ABS and airbag lights flicker on the dashboard and the starter motor is not firing up either.  

The battery is no more than 3 years old and dont think this is the problem but I cannot be 100% positive.  

I do not wish to call an autoelectrician out if it is just a simple problem....I can do basic work on a motor but I am not an expert  Huh

I would really appreciate anyones help to solve this inexpensively.

Thanks

Simon

IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Help needed for non-starter
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 10:26am »

hi there

sounds like water/moisture in the fuseboxes with the relays clicking away. that being said, to let a battery which is 3 years old go flat so often, is asking for trouble. it could well be u/s.

i'd start with checking both fuseboxes. if wet. dry as best you can with a hairdryer. this might not be too successful as the fusebox is layered. then get your battery checked. not just voltage, but a discharge test. all the fast fit places can do this.

once all that's done and the battery refitted, check the PATS light (wee red one on dash) for a code. it should come on for about 5secs max. if there's a problem, it will flash a code out.

that's something to try first. get back to us with the results.

hth
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 1:55pm »

Hi these symtons are classical for a duff battery albeit yours is only three year old,but this is the direction I would investigate first, this problem is one of the most common to be posted and is nearly always solved by replacing with a good quality battery anyway good luck andl et us know what the outcome is.

Regards kenboy

IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 6:48pm »

hi simonc,i had loads of trouble with electrics on my cossie,batt would go flat overnight,abs/tc lights on have found it to be a part of the wiring harnes at fault check the harnes that comes out by the throtle cable in the bulk head by the servo runs down to chassis towards the front of car then it goes to abs pump then across the front of car to wheel abs sensors,be carefull check if the wiring is warm to touch as i found mine had cracked that much it was just bare wires when i cut off the covering tape.have had to repair the harnes by going to scrap yard and removing wiring from any scorpios they had that looked good,time lots of time spent but now have it fixed. hope this helps
IP Logged
simonc

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 8:27pm »

Hi everyone,

I have just got in from cleaning my car...Thank you all for your advice....I knew there had been not much rain here over the last couple of months, so I headed straight for the local Kwik fit up the road and had the battery tested. It was kn@ckered!!

I picked up an Exide Battery for £59 (is that good?) installed it and it started second time......

Result!!! Grin

I am putting her in for a full service & MOT tommorrow.

Thanks again for your advice...a well run forum which will hope to become a regular on now...

All the best...

Simon
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 8:29pm »

another result! Agree
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.