Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 5:55am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Water leak problem again...but with the cure also! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Water leak problem again...but with the cure also!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Water leak problem again...but with the cure also!  (Read 618 times)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Water leak problem again...but with the cure also!
« on: Jul 20th, 2005, 12:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Before I drove down to the South of Frace a few weeks ago, I had all sorts of jobs done:

New disks & pads all round
New bushes on the wishbones and roll bar
New drop links
New thermostat and a new rad (coutesy of STN (Thanks Bill))

As with my last S reg Cossie, this one was plagued with bulgy rad syndrome which resulted in loss of coolant from a burst radiator. The burst may only be very small and may only use a small amount of water or it could go in one big bang. Now Eric had a theory that the thermostat was also a factor so I got a new one (6 month back order from Fords!!) and stuck the new rad on as well.

Now imagine my delight after almost 2500 miles in and around France, to find at the last stop before Calais that the water level hadn't moved a drop!

However once at Calais and in the line waiting for the ferry, the wife says "there's water dripping under the car" I think its just the aircon but on closer inspection, it is blue and definately coolant!!

I opened the bonnet and sure enough the level is below min. I checked the rad for signs of bulging but there was none.....

We finally got home after 7 hours mainly due with having to stop at every service station to top up the level.

I checked under the car and found to my delight that it wasn't the rad but the small hose that goes between the thermostat and the water pump. It had split where the jubilee clip was pressing on it and was letting water out at varying rates which would explain why I had to top up the level three times at three consecutive service stations but managed to get from Birmingham to Knutsford on one top up!

Just finished changing the hose and everything seems ok. So if anyone has a slight water leak and can't find it, check the hoses for signs of splitting where the jubilee clips tighten up, I think I did that one a little too much!!

Baz
IP Logged
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Re: Water leak problem again...but with the cure a
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 12:50am »

Hi Baz & WELCOME HOME

Glad everythings OK! great holiday topic especially with the photo of the Scorpio looking out onto the Med - beautiful. I wanna go!!

May I ask how much the drop links were?
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 1:08am »

I'm not sure, my mechanic got them but all together with the labour it was about £50.00 I think
IP Logged
Oliver

1998 24v Cosworth Estate

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 10:53am »

Have you not fitted the coolant level sensor to your new scorp baz? I'm sure you have so how come that didn't warn you that something was up in the first place?  Thank goodness it was something trivial in the end.
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 6:37pm »

I have fitted almost all of it, but the really late cars don't even have the LED behind the dashboard. (The one that everyone mistakes for it is the one for the washer level that lights up at startup) I just need to sort out an LED.

Everything is fine now. In fact we are down at Weston super mare for the meeting and it is running fine!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.