Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:33pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PLEASE HELP I'M PINKING »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   PLEASE HELP I'M PINKING
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PLEASE HELP I'M PINKING  (Read 429 times)
nebula

Scream Through the Pain

View Profile Email

PLEASE HELP I'M PINKING
« on: Jul 21st, 2005, 12:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

CAN ANY1 HELP ME MY 2.3 SCORPIO IS PINKING, I'V HAD IT IN AT FORD AND THE SAID THAT THE HEGO SENSOR WAS NOT WORKING SO I REPLACED IT AND TOOK THE FUSE OUT FOR THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT FOR ABOUT 10 MINS SO IT WOULD CLEAR ANY FAULT CODES IN THE MEMORY, BUT IT IS STILL PINKING ALL BE IT NOT AS MUCH NOW. JUST WODERING IF ANY1 HAS ANY IDEAS
CHEERS
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: PLEASE HELP I'M PINKING
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21st, 2005, 10:34pm »

hi there

try blocking the small vac pipe to the egr valve. see if that helps.
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 1:00am »

Nebula,

I'm not sure why the FMD thought that the HO2S sensor would cause pinking.  If it fails altogether, the engine goes into Open Loop fuelling and runs richer than it does in closed loop.

The engine should never pink.  This is serious, because extended use in this condition can cause real damage to the piston crowns and valve seats.

Do you know if the FMD checked the fuel-rail pressure?  If the FR Pressure Regulator is failing then it will not provide enough fuel for efficient combustion and cause the pinking.  It would also explain why the HO2S sensor was not switching properly - it would not have been the HO2S sensor but the fact that the fuelling wasn't switching from lean to rich, but staying on lean.  This is a common mistake because people often don't check the Long Term Fuel Trims before suspecting the HO2S sensor.

Did the FMD obtain any Diagnostic Trouble Codes?  Can you find out what they were?  This will help diagnose it, but my first instinct is that the fuel rail pressure regulator is faulty.

Other candidates might be a faulty fuel pump (there should be DTCs for that too) or a gunged-up fuel filter (which should show an over-voltage on the fuel pump, another DTC) or a cracked inlet manifold admitting too much air, and lastly an open vacuum system.
A stuck-open EGR valve can theoretically cause an unmetered air leak, but this is efficiently checked by the EGR Monitor in OBD and should have produced its own DTC.

HTH
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
nebula

Scream Through the Pain

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:10pm »

Thanks for the help, it's going back on Monday so will put the results on here when I know whats going on with it.
Thanks again
IP Logged
nebula

Scream Through the Pain

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:46pm »

job done replaced the EGR valve gasket and its all ok now
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.