Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Electrical problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Electrical problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Electrical problems  (Read 489 times)
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Electrical problems
« on: Jul 25th, 2005, 2:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just got woken up at 2am by my alarm going off.  I immediately thought it was the local chavs having a bit of fun, but when I went out to check it was still locked up and the windows were all ok. Then I noticed the heater controls were illuminated (but a lot dimmer than when the headlights are on) and when I opened the door for a closer look I found both courtesy lights were out too (they work ok if I move the switch to the on position but not when it's on the '20 sec' position).

Has anyone had anything like this happen before?

Ian
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 6:01am »

hi there

sounds like a fusebox issue. make sure the covers are fitted and no dampness is inside them.

hth
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 8:04am »

Check the ash tray/ cigar lighter ( front) and the connections behind it... It can short out causing all sorts of problems and is LIVE all the time so provides power even with ignition off.... Worth a check.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 9:19am »

Scorpio man's right, when I pulled off the drive this morning, I heard water trickle into the passenger footwell. When I got to work I opened the boot to see where the leak could be coming from (there's a damp patch running down the pillar from the windscreen to the engine compartment so I'm guessing there, although I can't see where the water could  be getting through the seal), which is when I heard a sizzling sound coming from the fusebox. The box did seem dry though.

How easy is it to replace the fuse box, does it connect via multiplugs or is it a part of the wiring loom?

Ian
IP Logged
Alf

1995 2.9 24V Ghia Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 9:29am »

The fuse box connects with a lot of multiplugs. Those plugs connect to the box at it's bottom.  
You have to remove the battery, then remove the screw(s) of the fuse box, then pull the box a bit forward, open the box, and you are there. Disconnect the multiplugs, and it's free. Install the other box in reverse order.

Ummmmm, we're talking about the fuse box near the battery, right?  Grin
IP Logged

Alf
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 4:51pm »

Ian,
You urgently need to check the drain holes in the fusebox shelf.  If they are blocked water is trapped on the shelf and causes the battery box to flood.
See http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/drainholes.htm

If you're lucky, clearing these drain holes might mean that the fuse box can dry itself, but use a hair dryer to speed this up.

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
ian

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 5:07pm »

Thanks Eric, will check that out. When I checked the fusebox I noticed the cover wasn't clipped on, it was just resting on top of the box (I had some electrical work done in January I'm guessing the garage didn't bother refitting the cover properly), so it could just be moisture in the air that's got into it.

I had another nose round at lunchtime, I think the leak into the footwell's an unrelated problem. The windscreen seal seemed fully intact, but it was directing water down into the engine compartment, is there anywhere down there it could be leaking into the interior? Also noticed some cabling behind the glovebox that had caught the leak too.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25th, 2005, 9:17pm »

If the drains are bloked it can find its way into the footwell of the car. and the main loom linking the EEC goes through the bulkhead there as well.

Check the drain holes as suggested.. also the drains for the Air con
 its all documented on the main site .
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/drainholes.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.