Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help needed with AC MOD....please. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help needed with AC MOD....please.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help needed with AC MOD....please.  (Read 1183 times)
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

Help needed with AC MOD....please.
« on: Aug 1st, 2005, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

Got my AC MOD from Dave N the other day (Thanks Dave  Cheesy ) and finally got round to fitting today.
I followed the instructions on the site and everything went surprisingly smooth....until I found the wire I have to "scotch lock" onto!

The 2 wires are actually wrapped around the small plastic block it goes into (or comes from??) and doesn't leave enough room to attach 1 scotch lock let alone 2.
The small block in question needs to be removed from its fixings in order to get at  the wire and is held on by 2 screws-1 at the top and 1 at the bottom.

My question is: How do I remove the lower screw? Is it possible to get it out without removing anything else. I tried in vane for an absolute age today, and gave up as it started to rain. (and before I got aggresive with the car  Angry Wink)
Do I just have to persevere with a smally screw driver or is there an easier way?

Doubt I'll get any more time to do it this week until Friday but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TA!

Wayne.

PS>
When threading the wire through the bulkhead, is it advisable to pass the wire through the centre of the grommet or would it be ok to pierce the grommet and thread through that way?  
I only ask as the cable using the grommet already has been well and truly sealed with electrical tape and would take a long time and mountains of patience to remove  Undecided
IP Logged

After years of wanting I finally got!!!!
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

Re: Help needed with AC MOD....please.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:15pm »

Wayne,
I fitted mod on Sat...are you sure you are trying to connect to the correct wires?i found there was just enough to fit two small scotch locks and wind a bit of inulating tape around each one.
I made a very small cross shape hole in the centre of the grommet with a pointed knife,then used a stiff piece of straight wire(cut from coat hanger)then taped wires and pullled through into the car.
I sited switch along side headlight switch , had to cut the plastic dash at the back to clear the rear of the new switch.
sunday was warm and humid ..took it for a test and works wonderfull....noticed some water dripping from air con unit under the car ....must have been ice melting!!!
good luck

David
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:28pm »

Cheers David,

I'm pretty sure its the correct wires, though my wires are grey and not black as per the instuctions.
You have cast doubt in my mind, but after looking at the pics on here and comparing them with mine they are in the same place etc....

I have a couple of pics I took before I put everything back together-any idea how I can post photo's on here. Would rather someone who's done the MOD confirm I've got the right ones before continuing.

TIA,

Wayne
IP Logged

waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:46pm »

This pic is about as good as it gets for the time bieng, and its a little out of focus as I only had my phone with me at the time.
You can (almost) clearly see that the 2 wires disappear behind the plastic block.
Are these the right wires?
Click here

TA  Cheesy
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:50pm »

Wayne. I had exactly the same problem with mine today!!!. I think there is a comment about this on one of the other posts. I did get to the screw you mention but it was an awkward job. Basically you have to remove the unit below and in front of it with the vacuum pipes attached. It does remove easily. Iff you look there is a self tapper holding the unit and another holding one of the vacuum pipes. There is a small grub screw connecting the operating mecanism of the drum shaped unit and two nuts securing it to the mounting. Undo these and the unit will be free.There is an electical connection which unclips so the whole thing can be removed and then you can acess the self tapper underneath to release the wire and gain enough slack to make the connections. I haven't had chance to look up the names of the parts yet but hopefully you can see what I mean once you get your head under the bonnet. HTH Simmo
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 11:04pm »

Cheers Simmo,

I kind of understand the parts you're talking about. I went along the right lines today but there was a little resistance when removing a few of the screws you mention, and incase I damaged any of the parts I left them alone.  
I'll have a go when I next get the time and follow your instructions, and hopefully this time I'll have success.

Thanks mate!

Wayne
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 11:07pm »

Go to this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acmanual.htm and select De Ice switch.It will open a pdf file and there is a drawing of the components which should help you to identify and understand my previous post.  Good luck.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 11:18pm »

Read this as well,http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1120695182;start= Highlander had to do the same.(10/7/05).
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:02am »

Yep same thing I had,  
the two screws holding this block on arent actually through  holes but through a slot top and bottom, what i did was remove the top screw and gently lever the block upwards off the bottom screw and out the slot.
Removed the wires from behind the block,
connected the AC mod wires, slackened the bottom screw slightly now the block was out the way then refitted it the same way. couldnt retighten the bottom one but it was quite tight and I dont think it'll go anywhere.

I think one of the guys on the production line was just trying to tidy things up a bit Smiley

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 5:58am »

hi there

Quote:
took it for a test and works wonderfull....noticed some water dripping from air con unit under the car ....must have been ice melting!!!  

this is a good point. we need to remember to clean out the drain tubes or there will be trouble ahead!
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acdrain.htm

hth
IP Logged
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:33am »

Thanks guys,

on Aug 2nd, 2005, 1:02am, Highlander wrote:
the two screws holding this block on arent actually through  holes but through a slot top and bottom, what i did was remove the top screw and gently lever the block upwards off the bottom screw and out the slot.  

I tried this but as I levered the block everything else moved too, so not wanting to break anything around there I gave up. Glad to hear its possible so will use that method before trying to remove other parts.  Wink
IP Logged

waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:01pm »

Oh, and just thought I'd mention......

...I've just ordered from Fords the plastic rivets mentioned on the site that hold the plastic grill below the windscreen. (The ones that need pliers to remove in bits!) (Finis number 6483390)

They're known to Ford as "caps" and are an amazing 14 pence each!!! Glad I was sitting down as it came as quite a shock!  
They're gonna be the cheapest parts I've ever bought from Ford!  Grin
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:48pm »

Having scotchlocked the unit to the wires under the bonnet I would like to make sure they are connecting properly before installing the switch. Is there a test I can do at the switch end with a multi meter to make sure that the connections are correctly made ?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 6:08pm »

can't you just temporarily solder the wires to the switch before installing (So the switch is loose and hanging by the wires) then test it that way. Then with the engine running and the AC on carry out a test on every switch position.

Once thats done and everything works ok, fit the switch as planned.

Thats my plan anyway  Grin
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 8:19pm »

Wayne, Thats what I've done but wondered if there was a way of checking the readings etc with a meter.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:10pm »

Ahhh,

Sorry Simmo. Read it quickly after work and didnt really pay attention. Think I get what you mean though......
But if the AC works as it should with the switch do you really need to test itHuh Or are you just making doubly sure etc?
IP Logged

waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:57am »

Simmo,

I now know exactly where you are coming from ref the tests etc.....

Fitted mine yesterday afternoon (Had snags with that d**n box!!!) All went well though I am still to decide where to mount the switch as I have the light levelling switch?

Anyway-the outside temperature is quite low so the air from the blower is cold anyway, and although a decrease in temp can be felt with the aircon on, there doesn't seem to be much difference when using the switch? Both fully clockwise/anti-clockwise the temp is very cold.  
I don't have a digi thermometer so now like you , i guess, i'd like to know if there are any tests that can be done to ensure the switch is working.
ANYONE................?

Fingers crossed  Wink
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 9:36am »

hi there

i would imagine you could measure a difference in resistance between the wires Undecided as that's all the mod is.
re it working. i think, depending on how it's wired, it could be clockwise or anti-clockwise for full boost. my car need a regas, but i got -2oC after a few minutes driving (ford spec is +4oC). i wouldn't run it on full boost for too long, though.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 11:03pm »

Wayne, I'm thinking of mounting mine on the black trim that forms the forward cover in front of and to the right of the the gear lever. ie beneath the dash just below the ash tray, There is ample acess underneath as you can get your fingers easily between the transmission tunnel carpet and the underside of the trim. The control knob would be easily accessible but unobtrusive. Simmo
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
waynem325

98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 11:32pm »

Thanks Scorpio man,

What I really need to know is if the actual connection the Scotchlock made is a good one or not? I know its good from the switch to the lock, but I aren't really too sure if the connection is ok from the lock to the AC side-if you see what I mean.
Physically it looks ok, but is there a means of testing that connection other than the temp from the blower?

Simmo,
What model do you have? I've thought of mounting the switch where you say, but I hate the thought of drilling holes in the interior and having a control knob that looks out of place.  
I do have the headlight levelling next to the main light switch, but I thought of replacing that with the AC mod as I don't use the headight knob-though to do that it appears that the whole of the dash would need removing first to get at the rear of it? Too time consuming for me at the mo, so i may just leave the ac switch in the coin tray/drivers glove box for the time being!?!
Wayne
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.