Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« No spark 95 2l 16V »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   No spark 95 2l 16V
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: No spark 95 2l 16V  (Read 1933 times)
bingo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

No spark 95 2l 16V
« on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 8:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Help !!! My Scorp is poorley.
I thought i would be kind to it and change oil and plugs.
When i took the plug cover off i noticed that the wiring had gone brittle so i taped it up as best i could, changed plugs and started it up. No problem. Fired up ok.  
Changed oil and filter. Tried ignition. Wouldnt start...
Mmmm I thought it would be best to replace brittle wiring so went to breakers yard for a couple of connector plugs. Had crash on my bike on the way and replaced all the damaged cable. Tried to start it again. Still nothing. Checked for a spark...No.
Checked for a voltage to Dist/coil. Didnt appear to be any.
The wires to the dist/coil disapear into the loom and into a box down the side but i havnt investigated further.
Immobiliser is off so its not that.
The only other thing i did was spray gunk aroung the steering fluid resevoir to clean it up because it seems to be losing fluid. I thought that maybe the gunk had caused a short in the electrics but i think its unlikely.  
Another possibility was that i had dislodged something in the process of changing the oil filter. Again its unlikely as there isnt any wiring in that vicinity.
So im left thinking that a short in the wiring has broken the ignition module. can any bright spark (HaHa) give me any advice about what to try next Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry its such a long post but wanted to share as much info about the problem as possible.  
Cheers  
Pete Huh
IP Logged

95 Ultima 2.0 auto
96 Fiesta Ghia 1250
96 moneo 2.0 auto glx
93 Yam XJ 600
83 Suzi GSX 400
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

Re: No spark 95 2l 16V
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 9:25pm »

Bingo,
Yes, I think you've fallen foul of the Fuel Cut-off Loom syndrome - see http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm.
If this is damaged and the engine doesn't fire within a second of the engine turning, the fuel injectors are turned off to protect the catalyst.  The fuel pump may also have been cut off, so the first time the engine started may have been running on residual pressure in the fuel rail.
You might search for another loom from a scrapper - but make sure it's in good condition - or order one from a FMD - cost about £90 or http://www.fordpartsuk.com/ where it would be less.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 7:39am »

hello:

I had exactly the same problem after having sparkplugs changed on my 2.0 16V! The insulation on the wires to coils and camshaft position sensor was cracked. I repaired it with insulation tape and after that my car refused starting at all. Than i moved a bit wires to camshaft position sensor, the engine strarted. I had to repair them much more carefully - and no probs! I'm well aware that the cut-off loom must be replaced but it's difficult to get one in Russia! So check the whole wiring once again! and don't tie CPS wires together after insulating!

Best regards,
OHC
IP Logged
bingo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 11:30am »

I have done a repair on fuel cut off loom and there is voltage between one of the pins on the connector plug and earth.. doesnt seem to be anything from other pin though.
There is still no spark i am wondering if a short has blown something..
A few things i would like to find the answers to..
What exactly are the black units/modules in 2 and 4 cylinders?
Where is the ignition module?
Any help gratefully recieved.
Cheers
Pete
IP Logged

95 Ultima 2.0 auto
96 Fiesta Ghia 1250
96 moneo 2.0 auto glx
93 Yam XJ 600
83 Suzi GSX 400
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:44am »

hi there

the 2 modules are the coil packs. check them for any damage.

is it an auto? if so, try starting from the 'N' position. i take it the battery is 100%? these cars hate low battery voltages. it'll turn over fine, but will never start!

work your way though all the conections on the link eric r gave you.
IP Logged
bingo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:59am »

thanks for getting back..i tried starting in N just in case but no joy..battery was a bit low but charged for 48 hrs green blob was showing on battery. turned engine over fine ..examined plug electode closely to see if even a weak spark but nothing..I examined the coil packs when i changed the plugs a few weeks ago they seemed ok and i did have it running for a few minutes with the new plugs in.. could a short between the wires to the coils possibly cause both coils to burn out.
 cheers Pete
IP Logged

95 Ultima 2.0 auto
96 Fiesta Ghia 1250
96 moneo 2.0 auto glx
93 Yam XJ 600
83 Suzi GSX 400
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 12:09pm »

hi there

just re-reading posts.
Quote:
Immobiliser is off so its not that.

what do you mean? is it by-passed? if not, it might have lost the 'code' from the key. give the red master key a go. another thing is that it might have cleared all codes, so you need to go to a fmd or a good mobile locksmiths.
IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 3:21am »

guess its the usual 'iffy' wiring to the coils pack/s.
I had bad misfire. Eventually had to solder in (replace) two small lengths of wire that had given up to coil/s. now fine. just because the insulation is / has been repaired, doesn't mean that the actual coil is working ok. If there is any sign of damage to the wiring / insulation to the coil/s (pretty normal!!) just cut back, and replace it. (or change 'fuel cut off' loom!)
good luck.
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.