Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:36am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« BLOOMING (Ballooning Rads) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   BLOOMING (Ballooning Rads)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: BLOOMING (Ballooning Rads)  (Read 2356 times)
shaunskiman

24 valves of cosworth powered ultima ye ba ye ba

View Profile

BLOOMING (Ballooning Rads)
« on: Aug 11th, 2005, 9:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
Once again my pride and joy (pain) is back in the garage for yet another radiator, the last one was fitted at the end of March 05 at a cost of just under £400 and yesterday it burst at the seams on the n/s bottom of the rad, it was recovered back to the garage that did the work last time and when the rad was removed from the car it was found to have Ballooned. The garage were trying to say it must be head gasket etc but found no problems and after a heated telephone call to their supplier they are getting it replaced as a faulty part  Tongue I have read the info on the site about this problem and have taken Mr Holmes advise and asked the garage to change the stat at the same time, I wonder if this will really work  Huh I had only covered 3000 miles on the last rad fitted. Is there really no real reason why this happens !
cheers Shaun
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: BLOOMING (Ballooning Rads)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 9:27am »

seems a real problem, particlarly on the 24v, make sure pressure cap is replaced also.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:30am »

The thermostat on the 24v is now reckoned to be the most likely cause of ballooning radiators causing a high pressure burst through the radiator which doesnt give the pressure relief valve time to operate, but you might have to wait a while for one though.
Baz waited for months for his.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/balloon.htm

"That in some circumstances - not common I agree but nonetheless occasional - circumstances and a weak thermostat conspires to overheat a part of the 24V coolant system. With insufficient flow the high temperature overcomes the pressure of the coolant and a plug of steam is created. Since steam is one hundred times greater in volume than the liquid this sends a shock wave of very high pressure through the system, sufficient to balloon the narrow radiator vanes. The radiator nor any of the pipes give way, however, so there is no outward sign, while the now huge pressure forces the steam to return to coolant again."

Holmes finished his glass and put it down carefully.

"But Holmes, why does the pressure cap not let go?" Watson asked.

"A good question, Watson. I can only conjecture here. It is probable that the hydraulic shock is so sudden that the damage to the radiator vanes occurs before the pressure cap can react. Bear in mind that the radiator is connected with broad pipes to the hottest part of the engine, while the header tank has a very narrow pipe, so the hydraulic pressure in the header tank would not be the same in any case."

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 5:30pm »

I waited 6 months to be precise so you may get through a few more radiators in that time

Baz
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 10:25pm »

it's not too bad at the moment ... thermostats are readily available ... STN
IP Logged

Baz

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 12:27am »

Probably because they waited until there were a few of us that needed them and then made a load. Still made me wait 6 months though!
IP Logged
shaunskiman

24 valves of cosworth powered ultima ye ba ye ba

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:33pm »

Happy Days are here again   Cheesy

I THINK  Huh

I got the wheels back this afternoon not with a new rad I found, when I got home and had a look I saw marks on the rad that suggested it was a recore job so on the phone I got, to be told that Plymouth radiators had recored it with a heavy duty core  Huh I was also told not to boot it (Their Words) when cold  Huh Does this mean I've to take it easy in the winter  Huh
The Thermostat was replaced also at a cost of £50.90p + VAT.
Heres hoping that it will be the last time I have the radiator changed..... Roll Eyes
Cheers Shaun I......
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hmmmm..recored,didn't baz say that wouldn't last long ?
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 8:31pm »

It all depends how good the recore is. I got through 3 recores until the one I have off STN (Dont forget the receipt Bill!!) We are now assuming that if the rad and stat are changed, the problem should not occur

IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 3:34am »

seems to me that if there is enough pressure in the cooling system to 'baloon' the rad, it must almost certainly be the head gasket.
the cooling system wouldn't / couldn't generate enough pressure to do that (bearing in mind that the cap should 'blow' at about 13-15 psi) without it boiling (and the associated noises!)
ask garage to do a 'sniffer' test on header tank. any signs of impending head gasket failure will either change coulour of test medium, or show on gas anylyser.
good luck.
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 11:34am »

Head gasket seems to be idea that most garages put forward (quite rightly so, as it is a possibility) but the ballooned rads only seem to affect the 24v and I have heard no one say they had a ballooned rad that was eventually traced to a head gasket problem.
Plus if it were a head gasket then the new rad would surely balloon as soon as the thermostat opened on the initial start up. which they dont do.

I'm not too familiar with the cooling system layout on the 24v but Would a pressure build up behind the thermostat be able to be relieved via the pressure release cap if the thermostat didnt open or is this only possible once the thermostat has  opened and the pressure has "escaped" to the expansion tank "via" the radiator?
IP Logged

martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 12:25pm »

thermostat dos'nt hold pressure, only stops circulation, which is provided by the water pump. water pump is not so much a pump, but provides a flow, obviously there is an issue with the 24v cooling system, all the scorps have the same pressure cap, in fact the cap is common to many fords now, the 12v dos'nt seem top suffer from the ballooning problem, even though the basic cyl block,& w/pump are the same, the problem may be compounded by the fact that the rad is quite long, easier to blow up a long ballon than a short one, I have had to replace rads on all my 24vs, one rad only lasted 2 mths, was replaced by my supplier, that rad has now done a further 20k. I think if you can get one, the alloy cored units are better, most replacements have copper cores. STN has probably done a bit more research on this subject.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 12:51pm »

Mal,

definately not the headgasket in either of the cars I have hd rads changed on. First one got through 3 radiators as has this one now. Both have been extensively checked for gasket issues and anything else that was a possibility....all drew a blank. One rad replacement lasted 2 months, I took a rad off a scrapper which hadn't balooned at all and it looked pretty old and that lasted 4 months got one off Danny R which hadn't balooned and although it has a slight leak elsewhere it still hasn't balloned even up until I changed it for one of STN's specials!! So there is no direct link as far as I am concerned with the rads balloning and the head gasket

Baz
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 4:43pm »

on Aug 13th, 2005, 3:34am, bigmaltwo wrote:
seems to me that if there is enough pressure in the cooling system to 'baloon' the rad, it must almost certainly be the head gasket.
the cooling system wouldn't / couldn't generate enough pressure to do that (bearing in mind that the cap should 'blow' at about 13-15 psi) without it boiling (and the associated noises!)
ask garage to do a 'sniffer' test on header tank. any signs of impending head gasket failure will either change coulour of test medium, or show on gas anylyser.
good luck.

BigMal,
Yes, this is the problem of taking the usual guess - and end up forking out for new cylinder head gaskets (Kit is £500 a pop, plus labour) and have another radiator go a month later !!
Have you read http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/balloon.htm?

The problem is clearly stated there - the rads balloon with no other symptom and in every case mechanics have first suspected the CH gaskets, but CO and HC checks have not found a problem.  I suspect that at least one owner has paid for this work - unnecessarily.  Cry

And there are no other symptoms usually connected with overheating - no bubbling, or steam gushing out, or even a high temperature reading.  The first that the owners have known about it is when they have spotted the ballooning - while if a cylinder firing event is open to the coolant system there is very definitely a symptom  Shocked

I'd point out that steam can create enormous pressure - imagine the dead weight of a steam locomotive at rest and watch one of those huge wheels start to move - and it can quickly revert back to liquid if the pressure is high enough.

The facts are there.  It is not a CH gasket leak.  Do you have another theory?
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 12:27am »

Ok got some Radiator questions  Grin

The small hose on the top of the 24v radiator that goes to the expansion tank..  was it added to aid pressure reduction?  
Why arent they on the other engine types

Has anyone with the ballooning rad problem checked to see if this pipe is blocked? either totally or partially?  

Would a larger/modified pipe from this area possibly help?  

Or pressure relief valves somewhere on the  radiator inlet and outlet hoses?

And what causes such a high pressure scenario to cause this ballooning?

Thats it for now Smiley

IP Logged

bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 12:48am »

ok, message received and understood! Smiley
as I see it, the only way a rad can baloon is due to excessive pressure build up. (a baloon doesnt blow itself up (unless subject to a vacuum!)) Huh. If the thermostat was playing up, it wouldn't present itself until the engine was hot enough to boil the coolant surrounding the block itself (as it couldn't circulate through the rad').  
unless the cap on the expansion tank is faulty, any excess pressure MUST vent itself via the cap itself! So what is left? Huh
it must be excessive pressure within the cooling system itself. what can generate this kind of pressure (and yes, I do realise how much pressure steam can generate!!), BUT...there should not be steam in the cooling system as most are designed to run at slightly over 100 deg C (due to the pressure maintained due to the valve in the cap).
Ther are only two sources of pressure within the cooling system itself, one being the boiling of coolant generating steam due to overheating (for various reasons), or 'leakage' of combustion / cylinder pressure into the cooling system. I will leave this to the immagination of 'readers' as to where this might come from!
The cap 'should' be the weakest link, and vent excess pressure to atmosphere, but doesn't always. So what's left?
I would always suggest that a 'accurate' test is made (as I stated previously) before going down the route of changing head gasket/s etc.
That is of course unless 24v radiators are made of very soft material (which I doubt!!).
So, in a nutshell. There seems to be excess pressure within the cooling system. Anyone know where else it can come from?
good luck and best wishes.
mal.
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 10:07am »

well said Mal .. I have researched < and still am doing > this subject ..for quite a long time .. not just for the Scorp but previously for Sierra Cossies and the only other car I see it on .. Fiat Uno Turbos .. I have no doubt that Erics " thermal shock " theory is accurate and as usual with Eric ..it is based on quite comprehensive research and plain facts .. The problem does need a Physics or Scientific clear answer ..as I find that no automotive radiator " expert " or reconditioner will be able to offer ANY sensible or definitive description .. regarding Highlanders ? re the return pipe from the rad to the header tank ..this is never the cause on the 24v ..< although the Sierra < which also had this pipe > did used to blow the header tank water when this pipe frequently blocked at the small bore header tank inlet ..which held an even smaller bore strengthening tube inside the inlet tube ..  
I agree though with Mal that Erics description < although perfectly clear in "effect" has never been clear in "cause" ..however .. Eric has enough to do having advised the cure < until a member who has fitted both rad AND stat then balloons ...oops.. the rad ..not the member > without having to state a definitive cause ..
The definitive answer will be found in the heating and ventilation or boiler industry I imagine < if any member has a contact > ..as they are well versed in what they call " water hammer effect " or thermal shock and it's cause .. it does seem strange that the apparent " instant problem " with the thermostat doesn't actually require and action and some rads once ballooned don't continue to balloon every day or week until bursting .. why not ? .. no doubt the stat doesn't suddenly correct itself .. one also has to remember that the stat is quite a rare arrangement being " hung " and " t-pieced " in brass ..with three hoses of different sizes .. one turbulent and from the water pump ..one too small and dangerously positioned through the 24v cylinder head and subject externally to intense temp changes and the bottom hose which changes direction with two 90 degree angles .. hmmm ....  
lastly I used to have very similar problems with Chevvies .. Fords and Jensens < Chrysler > with bottom hoses " sucking in under acceleration .. the rubber was not strong enough and most Yanks had springs inside the hoses to prevent this < until the springs rotted out > .. If the Cossie hose did this then that would cause the sudden steam creation .. but my research doesn't back this up  ... oohhh ...i'm " rambling " again ...catch ya all laterrrrrrrrrr ....  STN  
IP Logged

Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 1:54pm »

Blimey, you two are hard work  Grin

We've established that many rads have ballooned.  Work through the logic again.  If the ballooning were due to the system design itself then EVERY 24V rad would have ballooned because the same fault would have been present on every 24V engine.  Mine hasn't presented this fault after 120K miles and 9 years.

If the problem was caused by the pressure cap, then every Scorpio would have failed because they all have the same cap.  Ditto any problem with the expansion tank, hoses or radiator itself - if these were the problem then every single 24V rad must have ballooned by now.
But they haven't - ergo, it is not the cap, tank, radiator or pipes.

What is left? Er - the thermostat.  We all know that thermostats don't last forever - they become 'lazy', opening too late or sticking open and sometime if they lose the expansion medium they stay closed - with disastrous results most of us have experienced at some time or another.  What's more, the thermostat type, position and modus operandii is different to all the other Scorpios.  If a single DOHC or diesel radiator had ballooned we could rule this out - but they haven't.  EVERY SINGLE ballooned rad has been on a 24V.

Of course we should check out the coolant for signs of CO or HC and make sure the CH gaskets haven't gone - this is only common sense.  What we mustn't do is shrug and say, like BigMal, 'Well, it must be the head gaskets' and lash out a £1000 or so to get them done.

Look at how much this is costing our owners - radiators expanding all over the country like popcorn at £400 a time, being replaced only to pop again, others forking out their hard-earned on unnecessary cylinder head work as well as a new rad -  Cry

The exact mechanism for this event is not absolutely clear - it probably needs a combination of a particular stat weakness, plus ambient temps, plus engine load and air speed.  It may be a hydraulic shock effect if the thrmostat delays too long and then pops open suddenly, a plug of steam on a hot spot, or a combination of these.  These separate components would not be present all the time and this would explain why some replacement rads have lasted weeks or even months before ballooning again.  If the stat failed shut and you got the burbling noises and half the coolant suddenly dumped itself through the pressure cap you wouldn't have any problem with diagnosis (I hope).  With logic and reason it seems crystal clear to me that this syndrome is caused by a faulty thermstat - just not being so dramatic in showing it!

Some thermostats have been changed for a few months now and not one radiator has ballooned afterwards.  Time will tell - but in the meantime IMO we should get beyond the knee-jerk 'it's the gaskets' response and advise a stat change as a matter of course in order to save our owners' some serious cash.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 2:45pm »

er ... not sure why I am hard work Eric ? .. especially as I agree with you < as my post makes perfectly clear > .. my position however is different from yours as I do need to listen to all facts and suggestions in the pursuit of making rads that don't balloon < even despite lazy stats > and any system change or valves than can prevent the occurrence in the first place or in any eventuality ..therefore saving members money and anguish ... rather like this site .." the pursuit of excellence " .. and are you suggesting that 24v owners change stats every year for example to prevent this ?? ..if so then it may be worth the stat advice sitting alongside the battery cover advice on the home page ? ..as the results are almost as inconvenient and costly ...  
incidently.. how many stats you have replaced on yours in the trouble free nine years ? ...cheers Eric ..... STN
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 7:57pm »

I read with interest the problems that arise with the 24v ballooned rads and I too have a theory which in principle is similar to Erics, I think its a pocket  of superheated water .

Water behaves very strangely when heated to temperatures in excess of 100C and its critical temperature of 374 C under pressure.  
I am quite sure that the balloned rads are a combination of circumstances that would have to be reproduced in a Laboratory to confirm.

It only need a small hot spot to form in the cooling system near to the combustion chamber for a pocket of super heated water to form and then if it moves slightly or a particle of rust enters that pocket the effect is dramatic.
It is actually an explosion.  
If this where to happen in the cooling system then the pressure release on the radiator header tank would not have time to react and the rad would take the full pressure of the explosion and give way.

Ask any one who has heated liquid in the Microwave only to have it 'explode' all over them when putting in a strirring object or a measure off sugar.

the effects are well documented with analytical research to back up the theory.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.