Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« non starter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   non starter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: non starter  (Read 893 times)
phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

non starter
« on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anybody help me I have lots of electrical problems with my 2.9 ULTIMA firstly about 2 weeks ago I had problems with my ignition barrel it was stuck with the steering lock on and no way of turning it, tried to follow your sites intructions on removing the barrel but no joy because i could not get the key into position 2 anyway I ordered a new barrel from Ford and got them to build me a new one up to match my keys £27 job done or so i thought. Started drilling my ignition barrel out to free the steering lock as i got into it and the locking pin collapsed the ignition came on ie position two warning lights so I stopped drilling and disconnected the battery and all the plugs around the steering column just in case I was risking blowing anything after some more drilling I got the old one out. Fitted the new one  reconnected everything tried to start it and nothing happened so I checked the connections checked the battery no wires left off the negative etc immobilser  seems to be working ok ie. it lights up for a few seconds at position 2 as do all the normal dash board lights. but still no start no clicking nothing, when i first tried to start it however both needles went all the way round and back checked on the site, sure sign of battery problem so i went back to the battery took it out completly checked for any missing wires there were none so I put the battery on charge just in case but it was showing a full charge plenty of acid aswell put it back on the car made sure all wires were on.  Note apart from the big negative cables there was only one other black wire which was two wires together going into one ring fitting, there are no others.  I tried to start it again needles went all the way around again had a look on the onboard computer it says that the battery is showing 12.9v also tried jump leads no joy there!  The car doesn't even try to start so it must be another electrical problem.  Spoke to Ford's today they said I have either left a battery wire off or blown a fuse can't find any other battery wires and have checked all fuses they said as long as the imobiliser light light's up for 3 - 4 seconds at position 2 and then goes out it is working properly they don't think removing it and/or disconnecting battery could cause a problem with it anyway.  The only other option I have is to call out an Auto Electrician which I am sure will be expensive and on top of the £250 I have just spent getting the climate control working and other electrical glitches I am hoping somebody on this site has some idea's?  Hope you can help.
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: non starter
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

got me baffled a bit,but could it be something to do with the PATS system ? Huh

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:37pm »

Check the wiring again !!!. There have been posts in the past about a single black wire being 'dropped' when changing the battery. I have just checked mine and you are right there are two black wires on one ring fitting    BUT  there is also a further single black wire which you may have missed. HTH Simmo
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:48pm »

i thought it could the phats but ford are telling me its not because my imobilser light seems to be saying its ok i did take the phats ring off when i changed the barrel so i did think that was the problem.
a auto spark told me because i disconected the battery the keys and the car would have to be reprogrammed by plugging in to a computer but when i put this to ford they just laughed and said disconecting the battery would do nothing do it
IP Logged
phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:52pm »

im going to pull the battery out now and check for another wire but im sure there was no others but you never know will let you in a mo cheers
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 8:00pm »

Phil,
make absolutely sure that you haven't missed a small lead because this is a common cause of not starting.

Then, make sure that the ignition key is fully off before you reconnected the battery - if the ignition is on the modules will start up in the wrong order.

When you turn on the ignition, watch the LED light, if it starts to flash then count the flashes between the pause and this will give you the PATS code which will tell you what's going wrong.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 8:36pm »

hi thanks for the replies i have just checked for any missing wires and there is nothing no loose wires have looked around the bat compartment under it over it on the sides have followed all other black wires and they all lead somewhere else, or are connected to other wires that run inside the car. reconected bat turned ignition on and red light comes on at position 2 and stays lit for 3 to 4 secs  then goes out. any ideas  Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 9:14pm »

hi there

have you tried to start it in 'N'? Undecided
IP Logged
phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 9:20pm »

yep tried that
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:00pm »

Sounds all very complicated, dont suppose it could be the starter motor? either packed in altogether or not getting an earth?
Had a Nova (yes yes I know) do that on me once, the earth strap to the engine rusted through, everything lights up ok but starter wouldnt turn.

I put one end of the jump lead on the -ve terminal of the battery and the other end of the same lead on the engine block/lifting eye to get it working (BE CAREFUL!!!)

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:16pm »

PRETTY SURE ITS NOT THE STARTER BUT THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I HAVE HAD ONE IDEA  WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR A FEW MONTHS AGO I NOTICED IT HAD A SECONDARY ALARM ON IT THERE IS A SMALL KEY WITH MY BUNCH OF NORMAL KEYS AND THE KEY HOLE IS ON THE SIDE OF THE DASH BY THE DRIVERS DOOR I WONDER IF IT HAS A SEPERATE IMMOBILISER ASWELL  
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:24pm »

Starter might be ok but not getting an earth through the engine block? I tried a long while with mine before i sussed it out Wink

I wont sleep tonite if you dont try it Wink

P.S. guys, do i remember reading something about faulty bonnet switches which prevented starting?
IP Logged

phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:35pm »

lol  i will give it a  go in the morning when when its light so  do i just connect one jump lead to the negative pole and the other end to the engine block does it matter where to on the engine block and do i leave the positive alone and dont connect anything to it
IP Logged
phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:39pm »

bonnet switches mmm ive only tried starting it with the bonnet open after doing the lock so thats another one i can try lol
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:40pm »

Yep thats what i did, dont touch the +ve at all, one end on the -ve the other on the block, the lifting eyes usually give a good contact, be careful of the moving bits though.  
(yeahhhh this is real car mechanics!! jump leads on the engine block!! non of this electronics mumbo Smiley)
IP Logged

phil_smith

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:42pm »

will let you all know how i get on tomorrow thanks for the help  Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:43pm »

Highlander, Isn't the bonnet switch usually mentioned in connection with Alarm problems rather than 'Starting'. Is that what you were thinking of?
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 10:44pm »

Yep maybe, its getting late and the beers are kicking in Wink
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 11:21pm »

It don't take much to disable the complicated starting system on the scorp,  I was  refitting a  new  rear window safety switch on the centre console  recently, while trying to  disconnect  the   multi plug  from the old one using a screwdriver  ( not recommended )   I spied  a little blue flash from the  switch, thinking nothing of it  I continued  on.  Then I tried to start her up, nothing, not even a click.  A fuse  must be gone I thought, but which one?  there's about a  60  of 'em!

By sheer fluke the third one I checked was the culprit.

So, it's worth checking  all the fuses in a  non-start  scenario.
IP Logged
bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13th, 2005, 1:07am »

sometimes any (extra) alarms / immobilisers that have been fitted, can come 'back to life' when the electrics have been disturbed, even if they were not working before. I've been called out to several breakdowns where a flat battery has resulted in the (previously 'dormant' alarm / immobiliser) coming back into play and preventing the vehicle from starting.  
Also had several (two at a garage!!) where the obligatory wire has been missed off the battery when re-connecting....very easy to do, but can be hard to spot!
sounds like a 'simple' problem, but may be hard to to find!! Embarassed
good luck.
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.