Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:13am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Alternator Removal (2.3 DOHC) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Alternator Removal (2.3 DOHC)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Alternator Removal (2.3 DOHC)  (Read 272 times)
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

Alternator Removal (2.3 DOHC)
« on: Aug 19th, 2005, 3:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yesterday on the way home from work at 18.30 my alternator just gave up the ghost.  Now everything was perfect on Wednesday with not even a flicker from the ignition light, but Thursday morning when i set off for work at 05.30 the ignition light stayed on but all worked fine no needle dancing or such so carried on to work.  Car strted first time when it was time to go home, no hesitation at all but light stayed on.  Ithought it would at least get me home.

I actuall broke down at the Longbridge roundabout near Gatwick Airport int he middle of the road works, had to push her to one side by myself.
Just before she finally cut out the needles done the death dance and that was it dead, not even enough power to turn her over with, luckily a mate saw me and jumped started me and she fired up first time and she got me all the way home without cutting out again (about 10 miles).  

Used the onboard diagnostics and the voltage was very errattic between 11.3 and 12.2 volts even at 3000rpm.
Managed to find a new alternator at £145 with £30 back once i return the old unit.  Now my main question is do our alternators just give up like that?  On previously owned cars i've had warning signs for days or even weeks before they finally died, like the ignition light flickering on or the lights dimming etc.

Also has anyone changed the their alternator on a 2.3 DOHC before, and was it pretty easy to do? Any tips for removal?  Have just tried but as it was raining gave up after about an hour as i couldn't reach the nut on the bottom mounting bolt, can this only be accessed from underneath?  If so i'll have to wait until Sunday when hopefully the sun comes out and it stops raining.

Sorry for the long post.

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Alternator Removal (2.3 DOHC)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 3:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fairly straight forward only a couple of bolts to take off after removing the belt,

Alternator Assembly (DOHC 16V) Remove and Install (31 414 0)

Remove

µ 1. Disconnect the battery negative lead.
 2. Raise the vehicle.
 3. Remove the alternator drive belt (refer to «Operation 31 413 0»). (thats on the site under drive belts)

µ 4. Disconnect the alternator wiring (two nuts).
 5. Lower the vehicle.

µ 6. Remove the air intake pipes.

Slacken the four pipe clips and pull the pipes off the intake flanges.

Vehicles fitted with 2,3 DOHC 16V

µ 7. Remove the air intake pipe.

All vehicles

µ 8. Disconnect the air sensor multiplug.

µ 9. Remove the two alternator retaining bolts.

l One bolt.
l One nut and bolt.

Install

µ 10. Align the alternator in the mounting bracket and refit the two retaining bolts.
 11. Refit the remaining components in reverse order.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.