Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Oil leak - what's this? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Oil leak - what's this?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oil leak - what's this?  (Read 388 times)
nitram

'96 2.0 16v Ultima - Loden Green

nitrammanc  
View Profile

Oil leak - what's this?
« on: Aug 21st, 2005, 1:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys

Have had an oil leak for months and I think I've found the problem. There's something that pushes onto the top of the rocker cover (?) I've marked the part here - http://www.martin-evans.com/oil.JPG - There's plenty of oil around the thing and when I've pulled it out, the rubber gasket it pushes onto appears to be torn. Problem is I'm not sure what to ask for at the FMD! I guess I should just be able to replace the gasket dead easily. Anyone had experience of this?

Cheers.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Oil leak - what's this?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 3:27pm »

hi there

looks like a part of the engine breather system. Smiley
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 5:40pm »

It looks like the breather pipe fitment that recirculates the nasty fumes from the top  of the engine and  puts them via  the air filter and thence through the   combustion cycle.  Just clean out the  rubber hose in case  it 's  bunged  up and replace the   torn  rubber  grommet thingy.  In some older  cars  excess  crankcase pressure due to a worn  engine   would  force  oil   through   the breather  system , I haven't  heard if the Scorpio engine suffers from this.
IP Logged
nitram

nitrammanc  
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 9:27am »

Cheers, that looks like the one, the pipe coming off it does indeed run over to the air filter. I'll take a look at the hose and replace the grommet. If oil is being forced through the breather system, what can I do to sort that out?

Cheers  Cool
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:23am »

Nitram,
This thingy is the PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.  The purpose is to subject the engine interior to vacuum from the engine inlet above idle revs and remove the blow-by fumes. This object separates oil droplets from the fumes so that the air filter doesn't get clogged up, and to reduce oil entering the inlet chambers.  Clean the PCV out with paraffin, and also check the other end of the tube where it enters the air filter housing - inside you'll find a small pad of sponge - make sure this isn't blocked, and then replace the rubber grommet and you'll be fine.

How much oil does the engine burn?  Do you have to top up frequently?  If not then there's nothing to worry about - excessive wear on the piston rings and bores is noticeable by a trail of blue smoke behind you, so if blow-by is excessive you would have noticed it by now  Wink
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Partsman

2.3 auto Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 3:27pm »

Nitram
Finis for rubber grommet is 6004365 cost £3.77 plus vat. Any FMD should have one or order for next day.   Smiley
IP Logged

It's a rotten job but someones got to supply parts for them !!
nitram

nitrammanc  
View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 3:32pm »

Cheers guys, I'll get on that. I don't think much/any oil is burned. There's no blue smoke coming from the back, but you do get the smell of oil burning on hot engine parts at the front and sometimes when the engine is hot you can hear what sounds like oil dripping onto hot parts and sizzling. I have to top up very frequently but I reckon it's from this leak and not the engine burning it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.