Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ???? Questions »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ???? Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ???? Questions  (Read 331 times)
Paulus

Big and Ugly....DON'T MESS!!!

View Profile

???? Questions
« on: Aug 27th, 2005, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have just bought my first Scorpio. All I know about them is what I have read on this website. So, I have a few questions that one of you lovely people can hopefully answer for me.

Firstly, it is an N reg 12v Ultima Estate. I know that much anyway.

1. How do I know if it has got traction control without ragging it and burning rubber. I can't find a switch anyware to turn it off.

2. There is a tappet ticking away. are these bucket/shim or screw/locknut?

3. The ABS light is permanently on. Reasons why? What to check?

4. in the Cowl area (where the windscreen wiper mechanism is) there is a very rusty...err....thing. It looks like it shoud be the windscreen wiper, but looks too small for that. Any suggestions?

5. As an "auto" virgin, does it cause problems to anythin g if I rev the can in Neutral then slip it into Drive for a quick getaway?

6. Anyone know of a good way of getting rid of dog hairs? The last owner had two Great Danes. The boot liner has now been jetwashed twice, Vaxed twice a,d scrubbed with a brush. All with detergents. Which leaves me onto my next question.

7. How do you get rid of a REALLY strong doggy smell? I have spent the last two days scrubbing the interior, but it still stinks.

8. Why does my rev counter bounce like Tigger whenever I accelerate? It doesn't when I am crusing.

9. Any idea how much a complete de-rust and respray costs?

10. Is it normal for the cruise control to take approx 5 seconds before doing anything after pressing the buttons?

11. It sounds really rough on a cold start. Sometimes cutting out. It sounds like it is only running on a couple of cylinders for about 30 secs.

Finally, I think it's a great car to drive. Really smooth (as long as I avoid the potholes) andh as fantastic headlamps. It has a really high mileage and the paintwork proves it. However, I paid just over £500 for it, so I'm not going to complain too much.

Anyway, answer on a postcard for the above questions please.

Paul.
IP Logged

If I said you had a beautiful body.....
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: ???? Questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 3:33pm »

!) The 12v does NOT have Traction control

2). The tappets are Hydraulic and do NOT need adjusting suggest you give it an Oil and filter change. have read of this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1122290632;start=4#4

3. Check out the ABS faults page on the main site for ABS Light on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm

4). The " nasty" looking little thing is most probably the recirculating Valve which is vacum controlled if its this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/blower03.jpg

5). Reving in Neutral and putting it into "D" definiotely is NOT recommended unless you want a large repair bill for the gear box and associated parts.

6).No

7). Don't know

8 ). Sounds like a loose wire somewhere in the circuit.

9). A lot of Money. ROFL

10). 5 secs is about normal perhaps a little slow but worth checking out the Cruise control motor and cables it sbehind the offside headlamp.

11. clean the ICV and associated throttle parts and see if that cures the rough running when cold. The 12v uses "old" technology and still has a coil and distributor worth renewing the leads if the problem persists.  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/iacvdata.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
craig

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

7  ..try fabreze or something like that,judging by the sound of it,you might need a lot of it though Wink
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 12:08pm »

4. The rusty  thing is maybe the vacuum  motor for the  recirculating air flap, don't  
    worry  it ain't  that important ( costs about £22 to replace )

5.     It looks good on  Smokey and the Bandit, but it  ****s   your  gearbox, don't
    do it anymore!

10.   Yeah,  my CC    takes about  5 secs  to   " kick in ".   Nowt to worry about.
IP Logged
Paulus

Big and Ugly....DON'T MESS!!!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 6:28pm »

Thanks for your help guys.

Just one more question.

Where is the IAC Valve?

Paul.
IP Logged

If I said you had a beautiful body.....
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.