Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:39am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Accelerator Pedal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Accelerator Pedal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Accelerator Pedal  (Read 538 times)
km449

Email

Accelerator Pedal
« on: Aug 27th, 2005, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My 2.3 97 auto has been feeling a bit sluggish recently, with snatched unintentional kickdowns.  

Acceleration seems a bit below par although once up to speed car flows seamlessly

Noticed that the acc pedal has gone how can I describe it - sloppy I guess, with seemingly a lot of slack in it, and it's far from anywhere near the top of its potential engagement point.

Would say that, if assuming the pedal was at the very top of its possible engagement point calling that 100% its down to about 40%.

Appreciate that they have some slack in them anyway but it doesn't feel right just now.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, as always, (non mechanical) Keith
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Accelerator Pedal
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Unusually,  for the Scorpio !,  the accelerator cable is  simplicity itself  and  exactly the same  as fitted to any any other car ,  a single  strand of wire inside  a  hollow cable from the pedal in the  footwell to the throttle mechanism.  Sounds as though the single strand is either sticking inside the cable  or  alternatively follow the cable to  its anchor point  on  the  throttle  quadrant   and see if  the   mechanism  moves  freely and returns to its start point without sticking.  A blast of  of  WD40   may do the trick.
IP Logged
km449

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 6:13pm »

Thanks for that.  

There is some slack at the quadrant where I guess the cable has stretched a little.  

It's only about 1/4" but you can see that slight delay in operating the quadrant.

What I couldn't see was how to fractionally adjust the cable so would be grateful as always for advice

Thanks

Keith
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 2:35pm »

I have a similar problem, my scorp is manual but the accelerator cable seems to be longer than it must be.....in WOT (wide open throttle) it only opens the throttle plate about 80 % and i can't figure out how to "make it shorter" a bit.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
km449

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 8:53pm »

Can anyone help us here please? Dont want to do the FMD thing!!
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 8:30am »

OHH !! it seems i have to take the car apart then.....no problem i just have to remeber where to put back the parts   Tongue
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 10:19am »

The accelerator  pedal should be  slightly lower than the the brake pedal. If you feel  that  the  pedal when hard  to the floor  isn't  opening the  throttle fully  then it can be adjusted  where  the  throttle cable  reaches the  quadrant.  Pull out  the retaining  metal pin  ( you may need a screwdriver )   then  pull the cable  out  a few   millimetres   then replace  the pin.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.