Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Eletctronic fault? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Eletctronic fault?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Eletctronic fault?  (Read 318 times)
Stinger

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Eletctronic fault?
« on: Sep 8th, 2005, 2:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I have a 1995 2.9 12v Ultima, with 193,500 miles on the clock. I have had and maintained this, though Ford dealers, since I bought it as the second owner in 1998.

I am having great difficulty in diagnosing a problem - the symptoms are that, whenever there is a hint of rain / humidty, the needles seem to develop a mind of their own, WITHOUT the key in!!

This results in the remote being disabled, so you have to unlock the car with the key. Putting the key in the ignition and turning has no apparent effect and the car will not do anything - you have to wait until the rain goes away, which is far from satisfactory!

I have replaced plugs and ignition leads, cleaned and reseated all fuses and relays (how do you test a relay?) in both main and auxiliary fuse boxes, sprayed everything with damp-start.

There is obviously a short-circuit somewhere, but I don't have a clue as to where to start looking!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Eletctronic fault?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 4:35pm »

Go to the fault finding page here http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faultfinds.htm and see both engine and electrical sections. The needle flicking is a sure sign of battery/charging problems. You say you have checked the fuses etc BUT do you have a battery cover fitted? because this is essential to keep the water away from the vital areas. Also have you checked that the drain slots/holes on the battery shelf are clear because they can allow water to build up under the fuse box if debris such as leaves etc is allowed to gather here. The fuse box lids also MUST be properly located to prevent the ingress of water.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Stinger

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Electronic fault?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 4:45pm »

The battery cover and fuse box covers are all present and correct. I haven't checked the drain holes, but both fuse boxes always look immaculately clean and dry on inspection. I will check the drain holes though.

The needles don't flicker - they just stand to attention as though the ignition switch has just been turned on, although the readings are inaccurate - 4000 rpm with engine off, for example! (With the key out and car locked!)
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 5:01pm »

You can access the battery shelf by removing a bulkhead panel, See here http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/battery.htm. I have never seen a post referring to the needles reacting as you describe but you can bet someone will have an idea before the day is out.Good luck.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 5:16pm »

hi there

could be a bad earth Undecided

check the one(s) under the battery tray.
http://www.anyboard.net/autos/cars/scorpio/posts/435.html
IP Logged
Stinger

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 5:22pm »

I will check out the earth under the battery tray.

I checked the link on replacing the battery - I didn't know the bulkhead split. Last time I changed my battery it took me about 4 hours!!! AND I dropped a spanner down there which I couldn't recover!! It's been sitting there for a couple of years, so I ruled that out as a problem!!

Thanks guys. I will let you know the outcome!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.