Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« what needs servicing now its done 70000 »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   what needs servicing now its done 70000
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: what needs servicing now its done 70000  (Read 711 times)
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

what needs servicing now its done 70000
« on: Sep 8th, 2005, 10:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

2.3 ultima with a full service history...just reached 70000.. ive changed oil and filter and put a k&n on ..What should I think about doing in the nxt 3 months??Gearbox oil?? thanks lads..  

all suggestions very welcome.. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: what needs servicing now its done 70000
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 10:46pm »

theres a thought!
Do we have a Scorpio specific service schedule anywhere? showing what needs done and when?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 11:26pm »

I think a service booklet should come with user's manual detailing what should done at each specific service. I would go out to the car now to check but it's chucking it down here in Dublin and I'll get a right soaking if I go out there.
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 2:42am »

hi there

try this for starters.....http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/diy.htm
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:46am »

If  it's not listed as having been done in the service history then: Brake Fluid Change , Spark Plugs,  Pollen Filters,  Air conditioning  service,  Fuel Filter replacement,  rear axle top-up, Etc.
IP Logged
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 4:26pm »

cheers lads all gratefully recieved info... ggreat link sent by scorpio man
IP Logged

John

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 5:58pm »

Well if its done 70,000 time to get rid of it. The engines are OK. mine has done 148,000 miles and if I blanked out the speedo, you might think it done only 20,000 miles. any moment now you door locks will seige up, then the Ignition lock barrell. Then its you drive sharf bearings followed by your wheel hub bearings.
Then your steel brake discs will need renewing. you might even need a new auto gearbox. but mine is still OK at 148,000 but others say they pack up at 60,000.
Then there is your fuse boxes that short and burn out underneath. Well I won't go all with all the other reasons, I mean I don't want to depress you.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 6:04pm »

Oh ye of little faith  Grin
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 10:26pm »

Yeah,  when it's misbehaving  you do  have  to resist the strong urge  to    push    it over the nearest  cliff, but when   it's  good,  it's the best car in the world and  a  delight  to  drive.  Grin

The puddle lights are great too!

IP Logged
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 3:14am »

Well I may be getting a promotion which includes a new Ford Focus but I dont want to get rid of my Scorpio which always works for me, despite being 300 miles away from 100,000
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
John

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 8:53am »

Well, anyone who owns a scorpio. make sure you keep your AA relay subscription up to-date. so that they can get you home.
But they are real good cars for polishing, comes up real great, just make sure you don't use them to often.
And Yes Mr.-floppy, those  puddle lights and the red door opening lights are just so nice touches on the car. I mean at night, they are real useful and sets the car off so nice.
I wonder how much Ford saved on each car by leaving them off. seems to me, it was a bad move on their part.
The real thing I don't like is one minute you can be hundreds of miles from home and car running fine and then suddenly a wheel or drive bearing goes. Yet there as been no prior warning. I mean if you have some warning before hand you would have time to sort it. Still I suppose you could change all the bearings all around the car once per year as a matter of course, (depends on your mileage). to make sure they don't go in the next few months.
And don't forget. don't put the brakes on to hard, otherwise your steel brake discs will overheat and distrort meaning brake judder.
I except that when new they where fine cars, otherwise I would not own them, but as they get older, you never know what going to go next.
But I suppect other makes of modern cars are the same.

IP Logged
ricky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 9:12am »

make sure you unblock the dreaded drain holes in the bulkhead to save the electrics. I know what you mean about the aa, mine,s  got a fuel consumption of over 60 mpg, 2.9 12v, cos every time i get over 30/40 miles from home it brakes down and i come home on the back of an aa truck, hey good way to save money but ive just got a letter from the aa to say as ive been using it so much ive only got one more go in the next 6 months, and im frightned to go out anymore!!!!!!!! Sad Sad Sad Sad
IP Logged

"Two tonnes of electronic infested metal"...
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 4:09pm »

on Sep 10th, 2005, 8:53am, John wrote:
Well, anyone who owns a scorpio. make sure you keep your AA relay subscription up to-date. so that they can get you home.
But they are real good cars for polishing, comes up real great, just make sure you don't use them to often.
And Yes Mr.-floppy, those  puddle lights and the red door opening lights are just so nice touches on the car. I mean at night, they are real useful and sets the car off so nice.
I wonder how much Ford saved on each car by leaving them off. seems to me, it was a bad move on their part.
The real thing I don't like is one minute you can be hundreds of miles from home and car running fine and then suddenly a wheel or drive bearing goes. Yet there as been no prior warning. I mean if you have some warning before hand you would have time to sort it. Still I suppose you could change all the bearings all around the car once per year as a matter of course, (depends on your mileage). to make sure they don't go in the next few months.
And don't forget. don't put the brakes on to hard, otherwise your steel brake discs will overheat and distrort meaning brake judder.
I except that when new they where fine cars, otherwise I would not own them, but as they get older, you never know what going to go next.
But I suppect other makes of modern cars are the same.

John,
I always find posts like this a little irritating.  Angry  If your car can't actually finish a journey without breaking down then it means that you've bought a lemon - get rid of it.  Because you have had problems doesn't mean that every single Scorpio will be the same, or that it will necessarily develop any of the faults that you read about here.

There are over 2,300 owners on this Forum, and because it is here for advice we only hear from people who have problems - and not from many hundreds who have had no problems at all.

I have owned my car since 1998.  All the electrics, the locks, the seats, the remote and Global Closing, the climate control, cruise and ride height control, the brakes and ABS and TCS all work perfectly.  I have thrashed the car all over Europe and the UK, often heavily laden, and it has never missed a beat.  The difference may be that it has been maintained with a bit of expertise - but that is the purpose of this Forum, to enable every owner to do his own work with access to the same knowledge.

If you have so little faith in the car then perhaps you ought to give it up and buy something else - a Nissan Micra might suit you better.  Wink
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Highlander
Expert

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 4:14pm »

on Sep 10th, 2005, 4:09pm, Eric_R wrote:
a Nissan Micra might suit you better.  Wink

And it would have a lot cheaper insurance! Wink
IP Logged

Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 7:32pm »

Hi  

on Sep 9th, 2005, 9:46am, mr._floppy wrote:
If  it's not listed as having been done in the service history then: Brake Fluid Change , Spark Plugs,  Pollen Filters,  Air conditioning  service,  Fuel Filter replacement,  rear axle top-up, Etc.

Rear axle top up, etc  Huh Huh - the DIY manual doesn't list this (though I think the Haynes manual for the mk3 did). Is there anything else that needs to be considered that's not in the excellent diy list.

Cheers,

Paul

PS. Reliability of Scorpios: If mine was so bad that I was concerned about getting from A2B and back I'd either get it sorted asap or get something reliable.  As it is,  I've got an excellent car (I love and look after it as I'm sure most of us do) and I want to keep it as long as possible -  I 'll do all I can to keep it in good nick and dread the day when something bad might happen to it.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 12:43am »

Paul,
The rear differential doesn't need topping up, unless you have a leak from one of the seals, in which case you ought to sort it before any grit gets in.  

The diy page is based on the Ford servicing schedule, and this is the work that any fitter would carry out if you booked it in for a service.
One item I should have included is the sunroof - grease the tiny spaces as shown on http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/sunroof.htm to keep the mechanism running freely, and don't forget to grease the door checkstraps and bonnet catches to stop them corroding.
Unless you do a lot of short runs the spark plugs are actually okay for 2 years or 20,000 miles - but check that they are not loose and clean the HT leads (or spark modules on the DOHC) - and examine the under-cam wiring carefully on DOHC engines.

- I've just updated the diy service page to reflect this  Wink
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/diy

Re your PS - spot on, m8.  We wouldn't have put all this effort into the site in the first place if we didn't think the car was worth it.   Wink
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Ian_John

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 6:08pm »

I gree with Eric and there is a few miles left in your scorp. My p reg 2.3 ghia with 203000 on the clock has just passed its MOT today with no warnings. Had the car two years and its proved very reliable and only needed normal service items. You can look forward to many years more motoring with a scorp thats only done 70000.
Ian
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.