Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:32pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ignition key probs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ignition key probs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ignition key probs  (Read 298 times)
swoz

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

ignition key probs
« on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 2:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi to all, i hope one of you bright guys can help with my problem so here goes, ive had my 96 ultima for a few months now (love it to bits) which has two keys the red one and a black one for the first couple of weeks the black one worked fine but then got harder to turn until it wouldnt turn at all, so off i went and had a new one cut (from the red key) all was fine for about three weeks then the same problem started, the guy who cut it said my shims in ignition will be worn but that dont figure because the red one works perfect, hope you can help and many thanks for all the help youve all ready given.
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

Re: ignition key probs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 2:21pm »

Hi Swoz

First of all welcome to the site Cheesy

The guy who cut your keys is probably right about the ignition lock being at fault. My father who also owns a Scorpio had exactly the same problem, Red Master key only worked but black ones did not. Had new ones cut etc.. Finally the lock smith came to the conclusion that all Ford keys that originally come with the car i.e. Red key, Black key with torch etc.. are made from a different softer metal than the after market keys. Although all new keys we had cut were perfect for the lock, the wafers in the ignition barrel would give away to the Red key but not the new ones.

Anyway I would get yourself down to Ford pronto before no keys work at all. You could purchase a lock kit and rebuild the lock yourself using the instructions on this page http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ignitionlock.htm This is a fiddly job but it's the cheapest method. The other way it to have Ford build you a new lock. Ether way you need to sort this before its too late. I've heard many a horror story on here from people who's keys have jammed or wont work anymore!

Hope this helps

Danny_R
IP Logged
jackcg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 2:30pm »

Yep, you MUST get this fixed before the ignition barrel gives up the ghost altogether. To take the ignition out to fix or replace you have to be able to turn it to position one. Otherwise it's hacksaws, cold chisels and skinned knuckles.
If you fancy your chances reading your keycode (instructions on this site somewhere) and changing the ignition lock yourself, I can get you a new lock built to your key code for £20 plus postage.

Or, if you are any near Luton, you could save on postage. and collect yourself.

IP Logged
swoz

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 6:55am »

thanks for all your help guys, ive bought the tools for the job and i'm off to ford this morning to get my rebuild kit before the worst happens, once again many thanks, i happened on this forum by chance and boy am i glad i did, first class help and advice i hope i can return the favour by passing any info i gain onto someone else who like me knows b****r all

geoff
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:55pm »

No Problems Geoff. That's what this site is all about. Helping people where you can. As i've found, some of the most useless pieces of information that i've gathered over years of exploration and ownership can be the answer to someones problem.  

Kind Regards

Danny_R
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.