Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 6:13pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coolant loss »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Coolant loss
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coolant loss  (Read 388 times)
brewer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Coolant loss
« on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My '95 Cossie (74000 miles) is slowly losing coolant - every month or so the warning light comes on and I need to top it up.There's no obvious leaks,everything looks dry and there are no damp patches underneath. I recently had some bother with hesitant running from cold and a misfire (I've another thread on that) which seemed to suggest a head gasket problem , but this has been checked for and is OK.
I have occasionally noticed that when I walk past the car after a run I feel heat from the bonnet and this comes from the header tank. I've replaced the cap and this makes no difference. Any ideas please anyone?
IP Logged
des

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Coolant loss
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:30pm »

does the temperature read just a little bit higher at all
IP Logged
brewer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:09pm »

Not sure because I never took much notice.  
No problems towing a caravan for 100 miles though.
And I'm wondering if the header tank gets hot after a run rather than during it.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 7:45am »

Check the bottom of the radiator for the the dreaded ballooning it can weep from there and not get noticed!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 8:30am »

also check heater matrix, do you get a funny smell in the car or steamed up w/screen.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
brewer

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 9:06am »

I'll check the radiator next I had the auxilliary belts changed and surely the garage would have noticed a ballooning radiator?
 But would a weep cause the header tank to fill up with hot water?Does the bonnet normally get hot after a run?All very puzzling!
IP Logged
shionogi247

I love my Cosworth

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 8:28pm »

Hi Brewer,

I had the same problem as you with my Cosworth, a bit of coolant loss, nothing to worry about, but every 1000 kilometers a refill was needed, temperature of the engine was fine etc. but I was still a bit worried about it. Couldn't find the cause until one day I parked the car, came back after an hour and my girlfriend noticed a little bit of water under the right front end of the car, right in front of the wheel.  

I turned out to be coolant, and when I opened the bonnet I immediately looked at the coolant reservoir that's located in the left side of the engine bay (front view).

This coolant tank has a fluid level sensor fitted to it, and this sensor was obviously leaking coolant, it dripped down on the window washer reservoir and from there down the car.

The only solution was to exchange the whole reservoir, as the before mentioned sensor cannot be exchanged seperately. Cost of the new tank was about 20 Euro (14 UK Pound I think) and untill now everything is fine  Smiley

Also check the coolant hoses for leakage, I had a few hoses replaced because when they get older they tend to leak, at least that's my experience.

Good luck

Hans

IP Logged

Shionogi
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.