Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:39pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coolant problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Coolant problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coolant problems  (Read 512 times)
Glut4pun

On my 3rd. Correction, now fourth.

View Profile Email

Coolant problems
« on: Oct 12th, 2005, 11:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone....Help please !!!!
Just bought my third Scorp....owned 96 model 2001 to 04 [still own, sat slowly dying on driveway], 98 facelift model 04 to last month [sadly now unneccessarily written off after v. small accident] and now 97 model 53k gen miles and well looked after ....with problems.
Nice car , but when no interior heater warmth ,found prev owner phone no and spoke to him. Car over heated on hols short while before he sold...had it repaired by Welsh garage [reputable by all accounts...though not Ford] ie. cyl head gasket, skim not needed. I have reversed flushed and some heat at low temps and highish revs....I can live with this for the moment although I guess a new matrix will be required at sometime. The problem is as to why it blew the gasket in the first place and I'm guessing it had something to do with the rad fans or lack of them....still. Only 1 fan [the n/s one] seems to work....or overwork ...it's forever  coming on ,then having a small rest , coming back on. I have read the fault finder [and v.good it is] and fuses 39+44 are ok so I'm guessing the problem is grounding out.HuhHuh? but what does that mean and what is the solution?  Also,when the 1 fan doesn't cope too well when stationary and the engine overheats, a vibration and humm seem to come from the large black plastic box to the left of the maff [looking at the car just before being run over by it.]   There must be a better way to depict that. Any help would be appreciated...I drive 120 miles a day [owned it 3 days to date] and another head gasket must be looming if I don't solve this soon. Thanks to you all in advance  and apologies for my inarticulate wittering
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Coolant problems
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 9:21am »

You don't say what model you have. There has been a lot of debate recently about such problems with the Cosworth engine and the concensus seems to be that the 'particular' thermostat on this model could be a cause.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Glut4pun

On my 3rd. Correction, now fourth.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 8:39pm »

Hi, apols for oversight. The car is a 97 2.3 ultima auto and I have changed the stat...replaced the drivers side fan, [the inop one, and still is], and also changed the green relay....the one that lives behind the o/s headlight, whether this has anything to do with the fans or not....All still to no avail....the temp guage is still on the high side...the one fan on overtime...and the engine compartment sounding like its got severe gastric problems when turned off after a run. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers John .
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2005, 7:15am »

Could there be any clues in this recent post?.http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1127389286. Could the 'gastric' problems be simply air in the system?. Previous advice has been to run the car with the rad cap off in order to allow air to escape.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2005, 7:19am »

The other source of information is here.http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolfans.htm.HTH
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.