Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 10:34pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v wiring photos - a problem? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v wiring photos - a problem?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v wiring photos - a problem?  (Read 340 times)
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

24v wiring photos - a problem?
« on: Nov 17th, 2005, 8:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Chaps,

Could you have a look at the wiring photos below, I would value some opinions. Both pics are of the wires that run between the heads on my brother’s 1996 24v.  

First picture obviously shows some fairly serious deterioration, with the actual wires showing through in a couple of places. A couple of other wires are like this.

Second picture shows how some of the other wires look (same area), with the outer insulation fairly cracked and broken. Further up the loom (towards the bulkhead) the condition of the wire insulation is fine. This picture also shows a bit of the wrap that cover the wires, there was the remains of some sort of tape covering underneath but it had all but turned to dust.

Question is this – could the state of these wires cause it not to start? It had a water leak between the heads a year ago – maybe the antifreeze caused the wires to go like this?

Basically – it won’t start. It has had, in roughly this order:

- New battery
- Fuel pump relay
- ECU relay
- Crank sensor
- ECU been sent away and tested – no fault
- 2nd hand but known good DIS and EI modules
- 2 OBD scans – no fault codes shown (scans by 2 different people)
- Fuse boxes checked for water and drain holes are clear
- PATS light normal – tried with all keys

Mechanic has spent a while on it – seems stumped. He is coming on Monday to scan it again. Seems to be fuelling but not sparking.

Any thoughts on what to do with this wiring would be greatly appreciated - and could it cause a non start problem? Damage seems restricted to insulation so my thoughts were to carefully tape it up – actual wires inside seem ok but will look further tomorrow.

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: 24v wiring photos - a problem?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 12:02am »

Hello there

I'm no Scorpio expert but isn't the topic you are raising covered on site, I'm no computer expert either so cannot insert auto link for you.

Seems logical that if wire core intact then patiently taping to give new insulation should be OK. My doubts are the fine cracks in insulation which you cannot see causing further problems.

Loom renewal may seem a big job but most likely best option if keeping car.

Best I can offer
david
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 8:00am »

This is the information you require http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faults_wiring.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 9:05am »

Thanks - have looked throught the site and found lots relating to this issue and used the 24v manual to help me remove the intake manifolds etc - all very useful. I am aware of the gearbox problems it can cause - just wondered if it could cause a complete non start. The Scorp has been sat for 7 weeks now, MOT run out, this is pretty much the last thing to check.

Will tape up the wires and see how we go.

Thanks
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 3:14pm »

hi dave

have you pulled the fuse to the PATS module? you problem sounds a lot like on i had with the wife's fiesta. changed the petrol tank and run it for a couple of days to check for leaks, etc. park it up one night and it wouldn't start the next morning. took it all apart.... plugs, injector, etc. after about a week i towed it to my machanic's. he did the  same, but it still wouldn't start. as we stood there scratching our heads, i siad i'd checked the fuses on the meter, but hadn't removed them. pull the PATS fuse. checked it (fine). put it back in and the car started straight away Huh removing the fuse reset the module? Undecided only other thing which might have help was pooring some petrol down passed the injector and manifold (single point injector system). maybe it cleaned up something, although i had just cleaned everything with card cleaner. it was only AFTER removing/replacing the fuse that it worked (after trying it with the petrol).

something to try Smiley
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 4:21pm »

Thanks Andrew, am in the process of putting it back together having taped up the individual wires so will try removing the PATS fuses before trying to start it.

Really hope it starts this time  Embarassed

Thanks for the tip  Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.